Author Topic: kingoldrum marriage look up please  (Read 766 times)

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
kingoldrum marriage look up please
« on: Friday 21 October 16 11:58 BST (UK) »
Good morning

I wonder if someone would be kind enough to look up a marriage entry for me. My ancestors were married in kingoldrum on the 25-7-1751 their names were Elizabeth Cook and Alexander Wytcross I am not sure if thats the correct spelling for wytcross

I would like to know which church they married in if possible

many thanks in advance G

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: kingoldrum marriage look up please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 October 16 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you tried www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Free to join, Indexes are free but pay-per-view for downloads although not expensive.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 October 16 12:34 BST (UK) »
Whitecross on this;

Marriage

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTV5-XQM

Possibly his birth;

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XBDF-199

If searching marriage on SP, use only Elizabeth's name as it will be easier to find.
The 2nd persons name has not been working but not sure if that has been fixed?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 October 16 12:46 BST (UK) »
SP

Church of Scotland

COOK
ELIZABETH
ALEXR. WHITECROSS/
25/07/1751
295/
10 79
Kingoldrum

Batches of credits can be bought & this would be 6 credits.

Annie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 October 16 17:53 BST (UK) »
I would like to know which church they married in if possible

Until the late 19th century, most weddings in Scotland took place in the bride's home. If she was a long way from her parents' home, or her parents were dead, she might get married in her employer's home, or perhaps in the manse.

Most of the pre-1855 records available at Scotland's People are from the parish registers of the Church Of Scotland. The CoS was supposed to record all baptisms and marriages, even those of other denominations, but this was not often carried out in practice.

In the case of Kingoldrum, the minister, when writing his article for the Statistical Account of Scotland in the 1790s, does not mention any adherents of any other denomination in his parish. In 1835 his successor stated that apart from the families of two of the landowners, everyone in the parish belonged to the Church of Scotland.

There is, as far as I am aware, no other church in the parish besides the Church of Scotland parish kirk.

So in all likelihood Alexander Whitecross and Elizabeth Cook were married by the Church of Scotland minister, but not in the church building itself.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.