Author Topic: Sarah Farrel b.c. 1818 Monaghan  (Read 2976 times)

Offline darylr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Farrel b.c. 1818 Monaghan
« on: Friday 21 October 16 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was wandering if anyone could help me find the birth of my 2 X great aunt Sarah Farrel/Farrell,
according to the poor relief records, in the Mitchell Library, she was born in Co. Monaghan. Her parents were Thomas Farrel & Agnes McVitie. My 2 X great grandmother Mary Farrel/Farrell b.c. 1817 could also have been born there too. The family were Presbyterian.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks,

Daryl

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Farrel b.c. 1818 Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 October 16 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was wandering if anyone could help me find the birth of my 2 X great aunt Sarah Farrel/Farrell,
according to the poor relief records, in the Mitchell Library, she was born in Co. Monaghan. Her parents were Thomas Farrel & Agnes McVitie. My 2 X great grandmother Mary Farrel/Farrell b.c. 1817 could also have been born there too. The family were Presbyterian.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks,

Daryl
Hello Daryl, re your search.  For Baptism/Marriage records for Monaghan you could try www.rootsireland.ie which is a pay site - you can get a 1 day subscription & it has records for Monaghan for the period you mention Church of Ireland records.
www.nationalarchives.ie for Tithe Applotment & Griffith Valuation records (land records which only place a person in a particular location).
In the Tithe records it shows 2 as follows:
Thomas Farrell Townland of Corygaldra Parish of Aghnamullen Monaghan in 1829 land tenant
Thomas Farrell Townland of Deraledigan Clones Monaghan 1832 land tenant
1901 Census in Clones Monaghan shows a Thomas Farrell age 77 (born c. 1824) Farmer, coould possibly be your family given birth year. Good luck

Offline darylr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 October 16 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for looking up Thomas for me in the Tithe Applotments, the 2 you found might be related.
I have had a look at rootsireland already but didn't find Mary or Sarah in their records.
My Farrel's moved from Ireland to Kilbirnie, Ayrshire, Scotland by 1830 onwards as Mary married there in 1836.

I found her sister Sarah, in the poor relief records yesterday in the Mitchell Library which said she came from Monaghan, that's why I thought Mary may have been born there too.

Daryl

Offline Rainsy2003

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 January 17 19:22 GMT (UK) »
MY 2X Grandmother was Eliza Jane Farrell and emigrated to Canada  Born 1835 and came to Canada when she was 27 and died 1898.  The name Thomas is a common name in our family.  Her gravestone says born in County Monaghan.

Offline greenfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 January 17 13:46 GMT (UK) »
hi Daryl,
   I have a transcription of marriage at Cahans Presbyterian Church in Monaghan for Thomas Farrell & Agnes as " Farril Thos & Agnes (McVitty) of Slaverow (Kilmore) 21 Feb 1807 - irregular marriage
Jno  (1st son) 10 Apl 1807 Bap 3 May" Do not have Sarah in my database although Scottish census
seems to suggest b. abt 1819 in ireland. You might try Cahans records.
   Did you have Sarah's married name - possibly McLaughlan(d)?
  Also a Sandra Ward posted the image of Thomas death cert from 1861 which shows his parents as Thomas Farrill and Diana Farrill (maiden name Sweeton).  Cahans Presbyterian lists following for them:
"Ferral, Thomas & Dina (Sweethen) of Orker (Kilmore)
Elizabeth (4th dau.) b. 27 Aug 1774, bap 11 Sept
Sarah (5th dau) b. 9 June 1776  bap 29 July (of Loyst)
Mary (7th dau) b. 27 May 1779, bap 13 June"
(This may be Urcher, Kilmore?)

These transcriptions are from LDS reel 1279239 #16 of Ulster Journal of Archaeology series 2 vol. 16, 1910 which journal also seems to be online at archive.com. URL is a long one, email me at
Removed and I will send it to you.
Not related to these Farrells as far as I know (mine lived in Donagh Parish).
Maureen

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 January 17 15:14 GMT (UK) »
hi Daryl,
These transcriptions are from LDS reel 1279239 #16 of Ulster Journal of Archaeology series 2 vol. Removed and I will send it to you.
Not related to these Farrells as far as I know (mine lived in Donagh Parish).
Maureen

You can  use the Shrink Link (at bottom of this page) to shorten the URL
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline greenfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 January 17 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for shrink link-
Sorry to  mislead about Cahans link - it seems only to go to an article on the history of Cahans Presbyterian Church - not register entries, although at the end of the article it does say "to be continued". Not certain in what volume it was continued.
LDS notes on the film # 1279239 indicate following:
"Cahans Presbyterian Church was united with Ballybay and Derryvally churches in 1945. In 1972 they were amalgamated under the name of Ballybay First Presbyterian Church. The Cahans church was in the civil parish of Tullycorbet. The Ballybay church is in the parish of Ballybay.

Contains a partial, brief history of the Cahans church and a transcript of the church register arranged in alphabetical order by families, 1752-1901."

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 January 17 17:09 GMT (UK) »
In the guidelines for posting on RootsChat, it is not recommended to include your personal e-mail address, postal address, telephone numbers etc - spamming etc.,  Probably best if you remove them.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

Please do not include personal contact details in postings.
This includes e-mail addesses, postal addresses, telephone numbers, etc.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 January 17 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for shrink link-
Sorry to  mislead about Cahans link - it seems only to go to an article on the history of Cahans Presbyterian Church - not register entries, although at the end of the article it does say "to be continued". Not certain in what volume it was continued.
LDS notes on the film # 1279239 indicate following:
"Cahans Presbyterian Church was united with Ballybay and Derryvally churches in 1945. In 1972 they were amalgamated under the name of Ballybay First Presbyterian Church. The Cahans church was in the civil parish of Tullycorbet. The Ballybay church is in the parish of Ballybay.

Contains a partial, brief history of the Cahans church and a transcript of the church register arranged in alphabetical order by families, 1752-1901."
Yes...   "Cahan's Exodus" might be worth Googling!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.