Author Topic: Family History Programs for Android  (Read 828 times)

Offline BradMajors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Family History Programs for Android
« on: Saturday 22 October 16 16:25 BST (UK) »
What full function family history programs are available for Android?
  • I am not interested in running WINE or a virtual machine.
  • I am not interested in a program that requires an internet connection.
  • I have done a search on the Android Play store for "gedcom".
  • Ideally, I want a version of the same program to also be available for Windows.
  • Ancestral Quest, Legacy Family Tree, nor RootsMagic have a version for Android.  RootsMagic only has a viewer and not a full version for Android.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family History Programs for Android
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 October 16 20:04 BST (UK) »
You can get some ideas on what's available from the GenSoftReviews site at http://www.gensoftreviews.com/ - put Android in the search box at the top and see what comes up. From a quick look there are a few programs/apps with versions for both Windows and Android, but you'd need to look further to see what they're capable of.

If you're planning on using the same database on both devices, you'd need to think about how you'd keep them in sync. This needs to be done every time you switch from one device to the other, or things can get messy. For this reason I've always preferred read-only apps for a mobile device, and regarded my Windows program as the master database. Having said that, Family Bee (Android app) allows you to make notes which aren't added to the database, but whose content you can input to a Windows program manually - and you could of course use a separate note-taking app instead.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BradMajors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Family History Programs for Android
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 October 16 20:50 BST (UK) »
I am aware of the GenSoftReviews website.  I aware of the Google Play store.  I am able to perform a Google search for Android programs.

My question is does anyone know what full function family history programs exist for Android?  Does anyone know of a Android program that meets my requirements?