Author Topic: Looking for unknown children of Thomas Johnson and Rebecca Ellison - Preston  (Read 4773 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for unknown children of Thomas Johnson and Rebecca Ellison - Preston
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 23 October 16 17:32 BST (UK) »
I still think that the reason they are on the list is because they were dependants as I wrote earlier.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for unknown children of Thomas Johnson and Rebecca Ellison - Preston
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 23 October 16 17:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ladyhawk! Unfortunately I can't see the records as I don't have a subscription. So now I know that both Dolly and Maggie had the same birth dates as those on the military record. I am still on the fence, it says 'parent OR guardian' so Thomas could be the guardian (just like what heywood said)...
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 October 16 17:45 BST (UK) »
Ladyhawk has confirmed the dates which would confirm that it is the same children.
There was no formal adoption at that time and one would imagine that by marrying their mother, Thomas would accept responsibility as a parent (or guardian I suppose).

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 23 October 16 17:50 BST (UK) »
But what about Jane's other children? Such as the last four Hewertson's (George b. 1898, Jane b. 1901, + Dolly and Maggie), they would have been under ten by 1906, one would think that Thomas would have been their guardian also?

edit - I don't think I mentioned at all about Jane's other children with her first husband. There are nine in total, the first being Agnes born in Ulverston in 1890.
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 23 October 16 18:31 BST (UK) »
The information though is on the army form so refers to 1915.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 23 October 16 20:38 BST (UK) »
As said before the children seem to be his step children ...If you are still not sure the best thing would be to get a copy of their birth certificate
Rosie

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 24 October 16 15:19 BST (UK) »
for info. from National School Admission Registers & Log-books 1870-1914

St Luke's Church of England School, Preston
Admission date 4/12/1905
John Hewertson    born 19/11/1894 date of leaving  20/11/1908
George Hewertson born 06/03/1898    ‘’           ‘’          24/06/1910
last school Great Langdale
Parent or guardian; Jane
Address 36 Thorn Street

I have attached another page from Thomas' Army Record again very faint but it looks to me that the first three children's surname is Johnson & second two Hewitson

Alice 3/8/1900
Edith 26/3/1906
Thomas 26/9/1912

Dorothy 23/1/1903
Marg.... 10/1/1905

from the snippet of Thomas' Army record you have posted reply #8
they were married Holy Trinity Church Langdale on 21st ? 1905

Dec 1905 Kendal   10b   1253
HEWERTSON   Jane   
JOHNSTON Thomas   

As Rosie17 suggests perhaps the b/c of Dorothy Hewitson and/or Maggie would confirm
their father's name

Mar 1903 Kendal 10b 755
Hewitson Dorothy

Mar 1905 Kendal   10b   769
Hewertson Maggie

(Langdales is in the registration district Kendal)       

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 24 October 16 17:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk for the information and the Army record, I have not seen this scan. I have always been confused as to why Thomas left out his eldest daughter Hilda (b. 1899) on the document, but its nothing to look into I don't think.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 24 October 16 17:35 BST (UK) »
I know I keep going on and may be totally wrong but I wonder if she was working then but of course if you interpret 'children' as that, you would name them all. :-\