Author Topic: Morgans - Shipley, Sussex - 1770s (again)  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Morgans - Shipley, Sussex - 1770s (again)
« on: Sunday 23 October 16 18:54 BST (UK) »
We know that William Vaus (who died 1-June-1839) married Sarah ? (who died 21-Mar-1811, age 39), Shipley, Sussex.  England Marriage records state that Sarah was Sarah Morgan.

Researching the Morgans from the Shipley area indicates that Sarah Morgan was the daughter of Charles Morgan and Hannah Adams; Sarah was baptised in Shipley.
Previous RootsChat thread about Sarah:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=449821.0
We have copies of two Vaus wills; neither includes anything about Morgan relatives.

While I know that Sarah Morgan was born 1772-73, looking through my records again, I don't have proof that she was born/baptised in Shipley, so the above assumption that her parents were Charles and Hannah could be incorrect.  What if Sarah was not born in the Shipley area or even Sussex?  :-\

Six other Morgan children were born to Charles and Hannah.  It appears that all but one died when young. James (4-Feb-1776 - possibly buried 1-Aug-1856), the one other sibling who apparently survived childhood, possibly reappears in 1851 in Greenwich, Kent.  After a brief search, I have not yet found him prior to 1851.

I have started to research Charles Morgan, in hope of finding a clue that could prove that Charles and Hannah were Sarah's parents.  I believe Charles' parents could have been William Morgan and Elizabeth "G-aller".  William's first wife could have been Sarah Sole.  I've spent hours during the past couple of days researching William, his wives and children - I am at the point that I need to find out if Charles Morgan was actually my Sarah's father, before I continue to research a possibly unrelated family.  ;)

Suggestions of how to confirm that Sarah Morgan baptised in Shipley was my Sarah would be very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this long posting.  Lisa

PS  I printed my old 5-generation chart in 1993; while Charles Morgan and Hannah are included in the chart, I don't remember why I thought they were Sarah's parents.   :(
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morgans - Shipley, Sussex - 1770s (again)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 October 16 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Lisa

From the SFHG.
Baptised at Shipley

Sarah,20 Jun 1773 daughter of Charles & Hannah Morgan.

Hope this helps

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 October 16 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi omega:

Thank you for taking the time to look up Sarah; it is really appreciated.   :)

My main concern is that I am not certain that Charles and Hannah were her parents; what if she wasn't born near Shipley and was actually baptised elsewhere?  Could there have been two Sarah Morgans, born c1772-73?

When I was a teenager, my family made the mistake of believing "our" Irish ancestor, John Ovens, was related to someone we had met in Ireland.  We were wrong.  He had roughly the same birthdate, same name, same circumstances, etc.  I don't want to make the same mistake again.   :-\

I really appreciate the lookup and your time.  Thank you, omega.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 October 16 22:53 BST (UK) »
William Vaus and Sarah Morgan married by Licence. Unfortunately I can't see the bond/allegation in the Archdeaconry of Chichester records. They may not have survived, if so it is unfortunate as they were giving groom's occupation and the exact ages of both parties.
The marriage says Wm and Sarah were both of the parish, and they both signed the register, as did the witnesses, Thos Sprinks and John Vaus.
There is a burial of a Charles Morgan at Shipley, 18 January 1782
And a burial there of a Hannah Morgan, Widow, 16 March 1796
Sarah, wife of William Vaus, was buried 25 May 1811.
No ages given.
John

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 03:23 BST (UK) »
John, thank you very much for looking for the bond/allegation and for finding the other information.

John Vaus could have been William's brother.  I don't know that I ever checked out Thos Sprinks' connection - thank you for pointing it out.
    Just looking through postings from previously obtained information: William Vaus was a witness to Thomas Sprinks/Elizabeth Waller's marriage so it definitely is worth seeing if there was a connection between the men.  It most likely won't help determine the Morgan connection, but you never know.

Thank you again, I appreciate it.

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looks like you've reached decision time!  Several years ago, I reached the same point in my research:  I was back to the late 1700's and it was simply becoming impossible to determine exactly who was who because there were no corroborating records.

I decided to stop my genealogy at that point because I didn't want to include anything I wasn't sure of. I still do some searching - don't really expect to find anything - but it's fun.

Good luck.

Jann (in DC)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Jann:

Yes, I have to agree with everything you mentioned.  For now, no names will be add to my tree, but I will continue to try to find clues for the Morgans.  Maybe there is something out there (now), maybe there isn't.   :-\  If I don't find anything this year, perhaps records/information might be added to the internet in years to come.

I appreciate your contribution to this thread; thank you.   :)

PS  Part of the reason why I continue to try to find my Sussex lines is because decades ago I was given a photocopy of a list of family names, dates and relationships.  The information matches up almost perfectly with IGI records (one date is off by one year).  It would be wonderful to eventually add more ancestors to my tree - perhaps in the future it may happen.
A small sample of the photocopied paper can be found on this thread (29 names are on the original paper):
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=680451.0