Author Topic: Onion, Brewood, 1791-1830  (Read 1610 times)

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Onion, Brewood, 1791-1830
« on: Monday 24 October 16 07:08 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am hoping someone can help with baptism records for Brewood, specifically in the time when the chapel at Black Ladies was in use.  May be recorded as Onion or Onions.

In particular, I am looking for baptisms of:
Thomas Onion, about 1808 (could be as early as 1805);
Edward Onion, about 1806 (who I think were brothers); and
Sarah Onion (Thomas's aunt), about 1796.

Abode would probably be somewhere in the Bishops Wood or Horsebrook area, but I can't be certain.

Any help gratefully received.
Dion
Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Onion, Brewood, 1791-1830
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 October 16 08:28 BST (UK) »
No sign of your named Onion/Onions in the available on-line records for Ss Mary & Chad at Brewood.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 October 16 08:34 BST (UK) »
Yes.  That is the problem, they are not online.  There are private trees out there, but it is not clear who if any are working from original records.  I am just hoping someone picks this up and has maybe visited archives.  Thanks, anyway.
Dion
Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 October 16 08:44 BST (UK) »
On the list of records from Staffordshire Records Office, I can only see Brewood, Ss Mary and Chad.  What might Black Ladies come under?  Non-conformists is Congregational and from 1810.

I'll have a word with Lichfield Records Office, to see what they can offer.  I can always then visit them - no cost as I have a bus pass and time  ;D ;D

I'll report back.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 October 16 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks, BumbleB.
Before 1791 or 1787, depending on source, the Giffard family of Chillington Hall, staunch Catholics, held services at the chapel at the hall.  When it fell into disrepair they transferred to the chapel, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, within Black Ladies (now a large private residence, but originally a Benedictine priory).  In 1844 services transferred to the new parish church of Saint Mary the Virgin and St Chad, in Brewood.  I gather Lichfield has patchy Bishop's transcripts.
Dion

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 October 16 09:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I'll see where the gaps are for the BTs.

From Staffordshire - Genuki

Nonconformist Registers
The original registers of the Brewood Congregation Chapel covering Births and Baptisms, 1810-1837 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
The original registers of Brewood Roman Catholic Church of St Mary from 1844, and the Roman Catholic Chapels at Chillington (1720-1787) and Blackladies (1787-1844) which preceded St Mary are deposited at the Birmingham Diocesan Archive.
A transcript of the registers of Chillington RC Chapel was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1959 and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 October 16 09:18 BST (UK) »
That is very generous.  Thanks, again,
Dion.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 October 16 09:30 BST (UK) »
Oops!  Sorry, you've misunderstood the Genuki entry - the records for Black Ladies chapel are held at the Birmingham Diocesan Archives because they are Catholic records.  Lichfield only holds C of E and some NC records. 
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 October 16 09:33 BST (UK) »
Ah, yes.  One of those forehead slapping moments!

Still, something might turn up.