Author Topic: Alexander Ross, born c1782  (Read 9057 times)

Offline BassinghamTerrier

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Pashby, born Levisham 1816, and wife Mary
    • View Profile
Alexander Ross, born c1782
« on: Tuesday 25 October 16 10:10 BST (UK) »
OK, following on from my thread about 293 Canongate, I'd like to know how to proceed with the military history of Alexander Ross who was married at that address in 1812.
I have no idea where to look or, indeed, what to look for.

Here's what I know about him:
  • Birth: ca 1782, Buckie, Banff, Scotland (based on 1841 census)
  • Marriage: to JANE SWANSON, 5 Jun 1812 (circa age 30), 293 Canongate, Edinburgh, Scotland
  • Occupation (from 1812 to 1857): In the 1841 census Alexander was an agricultural labourer, but by 1851 he was a Chelsea Pensioner (having previously been a soldier in 1812) and by 1857 he was recorded as a dyer on son William's marriage to Rachel Stanfield.
  • Military: 1812 (circa age 30) a gunner in the 2nd Battalion Royal Artillery; Leith Fort, Edinburgh, Scotland
  • Residence (fam): 6 Jun 1841 (circa age 59), Old Machar, Aberdeen, Scotland (1841 Scottish census)
  • Residence (fam): 30 Mar 1851 (aged 67 on this document), Gordon Mills, Old Machar, Aberdeen, Scotland (1851 Scottish census)
  • Children: Isabel ROSS (1814-), Walter ROSS (1824-), George ROSS (1826-), John ROSS (1828-), William Swanson ROSS (1830-1880)*, Daniel ROSS (1832-)
*My G-G-Grandfather; I know all that I need to know about him.

And that's all that I know.
I would like to find out a little more about his military career; after all, his marriage in 1812 is right in the middle of the Napoleonic Wars - did he serve abroad? Will there be documents which list him serving? Discharge papers? I would guess that this will all be difficult to pin down as Alexander Ross is a bit like John Smith in English terms, but perhaps there are military experts here who could let me know about his Battalion's record of action.

I also have no idea when or where he might have died.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that might be forthcoming.
MT ;)
Researching ...
PASHBY in Scarborough, Levisham, and outlying area
SEDMAN in Scarborough, Scalby, Everley and Hackness
BIRD in Easington, Patrington, Sculcoates and Hull
DOBSON in Edinburgh, Wakefield, York and Scarborough
SUTTON in Wintringham and Scarborough
ROSS in Edinburgh and outlying districts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Ross, born c1782
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 18:04 BST (UK) »
It's always a good idea to include a link to any previous threads so that people can easily refer back to what has been found before.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=757965.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Researching ...

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 October 16 08:33 BST (UK) »
Updating my own thread here!

I've found out a little about Ross's battalion, the 2nd Royal Artillery, which can be found here -> http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/Artillery/c_2ndArtyBn.html

He must have been in the 1st Company which was stationed at Leith in 1812. It seems that they had moved there from Chatham sometime in 1810 (although I don't know when Ross signed up), moving on to Haddington in June 1812, presumably very soon after Ross married on the 5th! Here they remained until moving to Ireland in early 1814.

Not bad for starters! :)

MT ;)
Researching ...

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 16 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Right. I think I've now got this chap nailed.
I'll post this for posterity, just so that anyone else who may come along might find it useful.
Also, there may be others who can fill any small gaps ... ;)

Baptism: 26 August 1785: Scotlands People index has only one baptism in Banff 1780-1790 for an Alexander Ross- 26/08/1785 to William Ross & Isabel Garden; as he names his first daughter Isabel and a later son William I think it safe to say that this is our boy.

Military: (from circa 13 Feb 1804 to 1 July 1819): From Alexander Ross's entry in the Register of Ordnance Pensioners in 1819 it is possible to piece together his military career. By that time he had served for a total of 15 years 137 days, which suggests that he signed up around 13th February 1804, but I can't establish where.

By June 1812 Ross was serving as a gunner in - I believe - the 6th Company 2nd Battalion Royal Artillery under the command of Thomas Paterson; I am connecting him with the 6th Company as that is one of only two Battalions to be based in Leith in 1812 (the other being the 1st Company) but from November 1806 through until August 1811 the 6th spent a great deal of time in Ipswich, Suffolk, where Ross's son William Swanson Ross, was later to live. Of course, I could be wrong ... He was definitely stationed in Leith Fort, Edinburgh as indicated by his marriage to Jane Swanson in the July of 1812 and here the 6th Company remained until being disbanded in Dublin, Ireland on 31st January 1819, although Ross had moved on before this.

Using the Pensions Register again, it would seem that, having served for 11 years and 46 days in the 2nd Battalion, he was transferred to the 9th Battalion Royal Artillery on or about 1st April 1815 and here he remained until his entry in the Register of Ordnance Pensioners (where there is a reference to his previous service with Artillery, which must be the 2nd Battn.). He was discharged on 1st July 1819, aged 34 and suffering with a pectoral complaint, which seems to have been quite a common ailment amongst the soldiers. He had served for 4 years and 91 days in the 9th and still never risen above the rank of Private.

(More details as to where and when the 2nd Battalion RA went can be found here -> http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/Artillery/c_2ndArtyBn.html)

Occupation: (from circa 1804 to 1863): By the time of his registration as an Ordnance Pensioner in 1819, Alexander Ross was a labourer; in the 1841 census he was an agricultural labourer, but by 1851 he was a Chelsea Pensioner and by 1857 he was recorded as a dyer on son William's marriage to Rachel Stanfield.

General: In his registration as an Ordnance Pensioner in 1819, Alexander Ross was described as being 5' 7" tall, with light hair, grey eyes and being of fair complexion. He was also aged 34, giving him a birthdate of c1785 in Raffen (Rathven), Buckie, Banff.

Marriage 5 June 1812: It is highly probable that the marriage ceremony took place at 293 Canongate rather than at the Canongate Kirk. Apparently, until the late 19th century, it was the norm for a wedding to be held in the bride's home and weddings in the church itself were very unusual indeed. Certified (witnessed?) by John Lindsay, Gunner in said Batn. and William Buchanan, Private in the Renfrew Militia.

Death: 26th May 1863: Bogshalloch, Rathven, Banff, Scotland. From the Banffshire Journal and General Advertiser of that date: "SUDDEN DEATH. - An aged man, named Alexander Ross, residing at Bogshalloch, Enzie, had (says a correspondent) gone an errand to a neighbour, and immediately after his return dropped down and expired. He had walked about a mile and a half."

MT ;)
Researching ...

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 October 16 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Death: 26th May 1863: Bogshalloch, Rathven, Banff, Scotland. From the Banffshire Journal and General Advertiser of that date: "SUDDEN DEATH. - An aged man, named Alexander Ross, residing at Bogshalloch, Enzie, had (says a correspondent) gone an errand to a neighbour, and immediately after his return dropped down and expired. He had walked about a mile and a half."
Take a look at his death certificate. It should name his parents and his wife, so if it does and they match, it would definitely nail him.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 October 16 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Take a look at his death certificate. It should name his parents and his wife, so if it does and they match, it would definitely nail him.
Wrong death. :(
The chap who died in Bogshalloch is 97 which is way off the mark.
Still looking ...

MT ;)
Researching ...

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 October 16 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi MT,

Did you see the cert?

Who registered the death?

Sometimes people were not sure of ages i.e. guess & people can look a lot older than their years to others.

Also, if it was the index only, it may be an error?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 October 16 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi MT

Have you looked at the OPR for the  birth of Alexander that you have located? There is a transcript of it on  Freereg and it certainly makes interesting reading
Birth date 21 Aug 1785
Baptism 26 or 28 Aug 1785
Father William Ross servant to Mr Urquhart of Craigston
Mother Isabel Garden

Illegitimate son. Named after Alexr Garden the child's grandfather.Wit: said Alexr Garden and James Legat Bap Mr Skene  Minister of Banff.

I would suggest that it might be worth digging around further with these names before assuming that this is definitely your man. (A birthplace of Buckie suggests Rathven parish to me not Banff).  Wills index might be worth a look and if you have not already looked at it libindx is  very good. Rathven parish is covered in the book  The People and The Lands which you can browse  on FindMyPast.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)