Author Topic: Alexander Ross, born c1782  (Read 8969 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Ross, born c1782
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 03 November 16 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Given that the family were at Hayston, Old Machar in 1841 and Gordon Mills, Old Machar in 1851 (according to FreeCEN), maybe you need to look in Aberdeen for their deaths?

Never believe anything you find online, and especially on Ancestry, unless it's an original certificate!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BassinghamTerrier

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Pashby, born Levisham 1816, and wife Mary
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 03 November 16 13:15 GMT (UK) »
A little more on the Daniel (Donald) Ross & Isabella Ragg family ...
http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/67973568/person/46255464778/facts

The 11 July 1785 Boyndie birth of Alexander - which is cited as a possibility - is an Alexander born to John Ross and Ann Dean, so I think we can count that out! (http://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/551060f8e93790f8ad16b05f?search_id=581b36c233045bbc2e86d95c)

I can find no trace of the Buckie/Rathven birth, also of 11 July 1875, but I can only presume that they have taken THAT date and applied it to the baptism of August 1785 that I was working on (Alexander Ross and Isabel Gairdn/Garden).

Will look for some Aberdeen deaths later, Forfarian - thanks.

MT ;)
Researching ...
PASHBY in Scarborough, Levisham, and outlying area
SEDMAN in Scarborough, Scalby, Everley and Hackness
BIRD in Easington, Patrington, Sculcoates and Hull
DOBSON in Edinburgh, Wakefield, York and Scarborough
SUTTON in Wintringham and Scarborough
ROSS in Edinburgh and outlying districts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 03 November 16 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a copy of his marriage to Jane Swanson?  Its possible there may be some information on there.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 03 November 16 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, but this is all I've got.

Not a lot to go on, is it!

MT ;)
Researching ...

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 03 November 16 14:34 GMT (UK) »
I think that if he consistently says he was born in Buckie, you can discount any baptism in Boyndie. It's not a vast distance from Buckie to Boyndie - you could easily walk it in a day - but they are two quite different places.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 03 November 16 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Baptism: 26 August 1785: Scotlands People index has only one baptism in Banff 1780-1790 for an Alexander Ross- 26/08/1785 to William Ross & Isabel Garden; as he names his first daughter Isabel and a later son William I think it safe to say that this is our boy.
But it was more common to name the first daughter after her mother's mother, and the first son after his father's father.

Alexander, James, John and William are all so common that they are less useful as pointers to grandparents' names than more unusual names.

I don't rule out the possibility that the son of William Ross and Isabel Garden is your man, but it is certainly not 'safe to say' that he is.

The main reason to think that he is not your man is that Banff is not Buckie - in fact it is further from Buckie to Banff than it if from Buckie to Boyndie (though you could still walk it in a day).

The 1851 census gives his age as 67. If this is accurate, it means that he was born between 31 March 1783 and 30 March 1784.

The overwhelming probability is that he is one of the many people whose baptisms were not recorded, or, if they were, have not survived. 

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 03 November 16 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Forfarian - it certainly makes a lot of sense.

Can anyone tell me if a marriage image on Scotland's People will indicate if one or either was widowed? I'm going to check out the Ross/McLeod marriage (if I can find it!)

Also, I am trying to track down the death of Jane Ross (nee Swanson); a while ago I was given a possible death of 24 March 1854 in Old Machar, Aberdeenshire. I have the credits and would like to see if she is the wife of my Alexander but I can't for the life of me find a link to get me to her. I've searched and searched as best as I can on SP but keep getting zero results for her death.
What am I doing wrong?

MT ;)
Researching ...

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 03 November 16 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if a marriage image on Scotland's People will indicate if one or either was widowed? I'm going to check out the Ross/McLeod marriage (if I can find it!)
I don't think you need to get the certificate. First, the 1861 census shows Alexander Ross, 77, as a widower at Broomstrath, Banff. Second, Alexander Ross and Jean McLeod were married on 26 December 1861 in Banff. Odd, then, that the death certificate doesn't name the first wife - or does it? It certainly ought to.

Also, I am trying to track down the death of Jane Ross (nee Swanson); a while ago I was given a possible death of 24 March 1854 in Old Machar, Aberdeenshire. I have the credits and would like to see if she is the wife of my Alexander but I can't for the life of me find a link to get me to her. I've searched and searched as best as I can on SP but keep getting zero results for her death.
What am I doing wrong?
Searching using both surnames? I found it using only Ross. It's in Old Machar.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 03 November 16 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Re Jane Ross death in Old Machar 24 March 1854 suggest you search for  Ross in Aberdeen City in 1854.  There are actually two results of interest for that date.  One has a parent named as Jane Ross and the other,unfortunately, has no age in the index. The two may be connected and so it is impossible to tell from the index whether it is your Jane.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)