Author Topic: Can anyone help with a 'look up' please for Caroline Knight  (Read 729 times)

Offline Brummie Wench Dawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Can anyone help with a 'look up' please for Caroline Knight
« on: Tuesday 25 October 16 12:42 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with finding the correct Marriage for........
Caroline Knight, birth registered Q1 of 1839 in the Registration District of Worcester.
She was Baptised 31 March 1839 at St Clement, Worcester.
I believe there are 3 possible Marriages for Caroline...
Q4 of 1855, Evesham (making Caroline about 16 years old)
Q4 of 1857, Evesham (making Caroline about 18 years old)
Q3 of 1861, Worcester (making Caroline about 22 years old)
Her Father was David Knight whose Occupations ranged from Labourer, Marine Store Dealer and Hawker.
Caroline's Siblings (who may be Witnesses) were Thomas, Susannah, Mary Anne, David, Sarah, Jane, Rosannah, William, Elizabeth and Henry.
Any 'look up' help would be very much appreciated.
Holloway, Barrett, Heap, Powell, Lathwood, McDuff, Clayton, Biddle, Griffiths, Gossage (Birmingham area) and Johnson, Patrick, Heath and Tromans (Black Country area).

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help with a 'look up' please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi - and a warm welcome to Rootschat.

Can you tell us a bit more about how much you have done to try and narrow down her marriage?

Is she with her family on subsequent censuses after her birth - if so when does she stop appearing with them?
Have you looked at the possible bridegrooms (and the other bride) for the marriages you list, and then tried to find the couples on later censuses to see if any have a Caroline whose birth year and place fit your Caroline's?

Let us know how far you have got with these steps and where you are stuck. 

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 13:08 BST (UK) »
Is this her in 1861 (still single) ?

Crab Cross, Feckenham, Worcs
MAry Strain 64 married laundress bn Worcs Hanmbery
Caroline Knight 22 unm granddtr bn Tardebigg
Ann Elizabeth Knight 1 grandtr  bn Tardebigg

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 13:22 BST (UK) »
Not sure of that would be her - Caroline's mother was called Susannah, and this marriage fits the location and age of eldest children

David Knight
Susannah Collett
Marriage     18 May 1829, Saint Clement,Worcester

That's not to say that either grandmother could not have married again and thus have the Strain surname

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 13:41 BST (UK) »
The 1857 evesham marriage was to a William Canning. There's  a Caroline Canning who dies in 1860, and a William Canning, widower with young son, in Offenham on 1861.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help with a 'look up' please for Caroline Knight
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 13:44 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering about this person - age slightly out - in Birmingham

John Bassell    44
Sarah Bassell    43
Caroline Knight    20 - b Worcester, tray polisher, boarder

RG 9, 2134, 34, 14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help with a 'look up' please for Caroline Knight
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 14:23 BST (UK) »
I have Caroline with her Parents/Siblings on the 1841 and 1851 census.  She is not living with her Parents on the 1861 census.
If Caroline married William Harris (Q1 of 1855, Evesham)..... I haven't been able to trace Caroline and William Harris on the 1861 census.
If Caroline married William Canning (Q4 of 1857, Evesham)..... I haven't been able to trace Caroline and William Canning on the 1861 census but as Mabel has said, there is a death of a Caroline Canning in 1860?  So this Marriage can't be ruled out.
If Caroline married George Harris (Q3 of 1861, Worcester).... unable to trace these two on the 1871 census.
If Caroline married Richard Daniel (Q3 of 1861, Worcester)... unable to trace on the 1871 census but there is a death of Caroline Daniel in Q1 of 1871 at Worcester.  There's a (considerable older) Richard Daniel (Widower) in 1871 living at Pump Street (St Helen's), Worcester.  Richard was born Worcester City.
The 22 year old Caroline Knight (Granddaughter) living with Mary Strain is possibly my Caroline but I've yet to research this avenue.
So, most possible marriages are to either William Canning in 1857 or Richard Daniel in 1861 hence my request for a look up - I'm trying to establish if these marriages make mention to her Father David.  Many thanks all.
Holloway, Barrett, Heap, Powell, Lathwood, McDuff, Clayton, Biddle, Griffiths, Gossage (Birmingham area) and Johnson, Patrick, Heath and Tromans (Black Country area).

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 15:38 BST (UK) »
I have Caroline with her Parents/Siblings on the 1841 and 1851 census.  She is not living with her Parents on the 1861 census.
If Caroline married William Harris (Q1 of 1855, Evesham)..... I haven't been able to trace Caroline and William Harris on the 1861 census.
If Caroline married William Canning (Q4 of 1857, Evesham)..... I haven't been able to trace Caroline and William Canning on the 1861 census but as Mabel has said, there is a death of a Caroline Canning in 1860?  So this Marriage can't be ruled out.
If Caroline married George Harris (Q3 of 1861, Worcester).... unable to trace these two on the 1871 census.
If Caroline married Richard Daniel (Q3 of 1861, Worcester)... unable to trace on the 1871 census but there is a death of Caroline Daniel in Q1 of 1871 at Worcester.  There's a (considerable older) Richard Daniel (Widower) in 1871 living at Pump Street (St Helen's), Worcester.  Richard was born Worcester City.
The 22 year old Caroline Knight (Granddaughter) living with Mary Strain is possibly my Caroline but I've yet to research this avenue.
So, most possible marriages are to either William Canning in 1857 or Richard Daniel in 1861 hence my request for a look up - I'm trying to establish if these marriages make mention to her Father David.  Many thanks.