Author Topic: Ancestry.com dna results  (Read 7779 times)

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry.com dna results
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 January 17 19:28 GMT (UK) »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaker_culture

Bell Beaker has been suggested as a candidate for an early Indo-European culture; more specifically, an ancestral proto-Celtic.[89] Mallory has more recently suggested that the Beaker culture was associated with a European branch of Indo-European dialects, termed "North-west Indo-European", ancestral to not only Celtic but equally Italic, Germanic and Balto-Slavic.[90]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-Europeans
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie McLaughlin (Mcloughlin) & James Harkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 February 17 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello fizz I have 90% Irish 5% IBERIAN I come from a family of six 3 have dark hair dark skin etc Just like my dad coming from CORK WHERE THE SPANISH LANDED! So all options open lol
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 February 17 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I agree that ancestry DNA results can be surprising - I've just got mine back - I was expecting about 80% British, 15% Irish and 5% of trace regions, as I know I have a bit of Irish but all my other lines going back hundreds of years are all English.

However, my ancestry DNA results were:
40% Great Britain (I expected this to be much higher)
24% Scandinavian (this was a huge shock, I have no idea where that has come from)
17% Western European (again, this was a bit of a surprise)
15% Irish (expected)
4% Iberian Peninsula (again, another surprise)

Now I'm even more intrigued to trace more of my ancestry, and it really makes you feel like a person of the world!
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 February 17 21:32 GMT (UK) »
I agree that ancestry DNA results can be surprising - I've just got mine back - I was expecting about 80% British, 15% Irish and 5% of trace regions, as I know I have a bit of Irish but all my other lines going back hundreds of years are all English.

However, my ancestry DNA results were:
40% Great Britain (I expected this to be much higher)
24% Scandinavian (this was a huge shock, I have no idea where that has come from)
17% Western European (again, this was a bit of a surprise)
15% Irish (expected)
4% Iberian Peninsula (again, another surprise)

Now I'm even more intrigued to trace more of my ancestry, and it really makes you feel like a person of the world!

I read an article that said that a large proportion people with ancestry in either Ireland or up the Western side of UK had 3-7% Iberian DNA showing up in tests due to migration patterns just after the ice age so it is a throw back to some very early ancestors in many cases.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 February 17 21:44 GMT (UK) »

That's rather interesting, I didn't think DNA that far back would be in big enough proportion to show up on tests.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 February 17 21:49 GMT (UK) »

That's rather interesting, I didn't think DNA that far back would be in big enough proportion to show up on tests.

Often DNA won't but there can be what is referred to as "sticky sections" ie portions that have changed little over a long period of time.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 February 17 22:11 GMT (UK) »

Often DNA won't but there can be what is referred to as "sticky sections" ie portions that have changed little over a long period of time.

That certainly could explain the Iberian Peninsula trace region in that case, thank you for letting me know about that  :)
I'm currently trying to figure out where the 24% Scandinavian DNA percentage has come from - could it be possible that it is all from the Viking era? A lot of my family are from Yorkshire in England, many coming from the same villages throughout hundreds of years - I'm wondering if the Viking DNA hasn't been 'polluted', so to speak, and hence that's why I carry such a large percentage.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 18 February 17 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello fizz I have 90% Irish 5% IBERIAN I come from a family of six 3 have dark hair dark skin etc Just like my dad coming from CORK WHERE THE SPANISH LANDED! So all options open lol

You may be of Egyptian descent.   First of all the dominant ydna in Britain is R1b1a2 and this is as high as 98% in Connaught.   This is the same ydna as found in the 18th Dynasty Egyptian mummies.    Egyptian skeletal remains - dolichcephalous skulls - wearing Egyptian faience jewellery have been found in Irish Barrows which also have the Egyptian Solar ship in at least one barrow.    But it is the legends I find most convincing.   The Tuath Dedanaan have to be named after Egyptian Duat and Tatanen as they have the same meaning.   But much more, the legend about the Blood Feud between brothers Brian, IUchar, IUcharba against Kian.   The last three are all names of Egyptian Kings and Brian therefore has to be the Pharaoh Ma'ibre who was also listed by Manethos as 'Baion' but better known as 'Abram'.    IUchar is Horus with the IU (Yah Weh or Jew) God Name,  IUcharba is the King YYcheber - Abel with the IU god name prefix, and Kian is the Egyptian King Khyan who is usually listed after YYcheber.
     There is a definite 'Egyptian' look in the faces of many Irish people I have met or seen in films or on TV - Milo O'Shea being one example.
     There could be some Spanish, but it is much more likely to have come from Egyptian occupation of the British Isles - Egyptian ships found at Ferriby on the Humber Estuary in 1939, the Gold Mold Cape found in Wales, the Ankh sign found all over Western Europe and many in France.
      They would have gone to the Isles originally to get Copper and Tin.  Then as often happens they stayed.
       There is also the legend about the Princess Scota going from Egypt to Britain and giving her name to the Scots.   If true this would have to be the God Name 'Skhety'.
    Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett