Author Topic: Where Am I? No. 234 - Another one of those houses  (Read 5978 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No. 234 - Another one of those houses
« Reply #18 on: Friday 04 November 16 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Well I used to write notes in the margins in my photo albums before the digital age, so I'm sure I wasn't the only one. Goodness knows how much information gets thrown away by the sellers.  It kills me thinking that  there would have been more photos of Burham Beeches and family that went in another batch to someone else.  I wrote to the seller by the couldn't tell me, they're just interested in $$ anyway.

It's a shame these photos and albums get separated from the original families in the first place, but then when I look at all my photos (literally thousands), I know my daughter won't want them, so thank goodness for digital photos and the internet, where I hope to eventually get them all posted for everyone to see and enjoy.  It's a massive project but keeps me out of trouble!

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 November 16 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Caz, It's a valuable thing that you and others, like Carol, are doing.  ;D

(Depending on how old your daughter is, she might eventually decide that she does want them.)  :)

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 19:52 BST (UK) »

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 23:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, some similarities Shaun, but also some differences ....  the central row of windows and door being extended out from the face of the front wall of Ismere Hall. It looks original too.

Looks like a lovely place.

I had forgotten about this house search. It could be worth having another shot at.  :)

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 27 April 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Yes apologies i am no expert like you guys are. I just really enjoy trying to research these thread and trying some detective work to see if i can solve stuff.

I am learning so much from all of you on here though. And am gradually starting to learn to to identify certain buildings by style and era.

I have actually just made a post on the kent forum about a family home that i would love some help on regarding its date and architectual design/era.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 27 April 17 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm no expert of architectural styles.  :) I'm not too good on the solving front either.

I agree that we can, and do, learn a lot from others though.  :)

I'll pop over to look at the Kent house now.  ;)

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 27 April 17 00:36 BST (UK) »
That would be great thankyou Ruskie.

And like i say in my post over there I am just interested in for ndong out maybe about the date of the building or whether in fact it is even just quite modern and made to look in the style of an older building. I just dont know. I know there has been a lot of modern renovations done to it like patio doors put in etc.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 27 April 17 23:54 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Theres quite a lot of similarities with this house

https://www.bigholidayhouse.com/property/ismere-hall-estate-wedding-and-party-venue

Wrong roof i'm afraid, the original picture has a hipped roof, this one has a double gable roof.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 28 April 17 17:30 BST (UK) »
I have just searched 92 pages with 18 photos on each page on a site posted by Staffordshire Past track.org.uk These photos are old ones of houses, halls, manors etc around Staffordshire, but no sign of this one, a couple similar, Rodbaston Hall and Adbaston Hall but they are not right.

In all these 1656 photos there is not one house with similar stonework to No 234, so is this particular to a particular area and are we looking in the wrong place, or is this not the original stonework?
I also think this could be on the outskirts of a village or small town. It is no on a big estate as the gateposts are too near the house, so no long drive. Could it be another vicarage?
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU