Author Topic: River Severn as migration conduit  (Read 486 times)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
River Severn as migration conduit
« on: Tuesday 25 October 16 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Troops,
seeking input from families that may have used the River Severn as a conduit for moving around the midlands or south west of England and Wales.
My William Gilbert born circa 1757 unknown- was known to be in Shirehampton from 1800.
It was put to me by another researcher that the family may have some connection to the Gilbert families of the Forrest of Dean. No proof yet but as a theory i wish to explore.

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: River Severn as migration conduit
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 08:44 BST (UK) »
I just completed a genealogy over the last year that starts in Notts , crossed Leics and ends in Weldon NTH then moved to LOndon and then to Hampshire......

It was noticed that one of the folk in Notts had come from Yorkshire.... his occupation after much ado was a boatman/ferryman...............probably the same chap that ferried my lot down the river......

it was also discovered the reason for moving counties was purely and simply that my lot needed to take control of their skills and money...... there was works going on around Weldon so thats why tthey went there.....

Always step away from the parish records of the place you are doing and have a look at events of history....... whether its enclosures, apprenticeships, moving to arranged marriage spouses parishes etc ..... always keep a broad mind that most folk are sensible enuff to move to places of better economic opportunity........  good luck...

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: River Severn as migration conduit
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 08:56 BST (UK) »
The River Severn was always the busiest way of transport between ports on the Bristol Channel, and inland ports as far as Stourport, and even as far as Welshpool.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Severn#Navigation
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)