Author Topic: Old Alresford - Upton Manor 1900-1980 Tanner/Compton/Shipp  (Read 921 times)

Offline MET128

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Alresford - Upton Manor 1900-1980 Tanner/Compton/Shipp
« on: Wednesday 26 October 16 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for anyone who might have records, photos, or memories of people living in Old Alresford, Alresford and Cheriton.

I would be especially interested in anything linked to the family names Tanner or Compton and anything about Upton Manor (Upton House) or The Grange.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old Alresford - Upton Manor 1900-1980 Tanner/Compton/Shipp
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 22:46 BST (UK) »
Do you have any dates in mind?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 23:14 BST (UK) »
The Compton/Shipp side will be from 1918 - see other post here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758279.msg6085616#msg6085616

3 children born to that marriage between 1921-1924
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MET128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 23:38 BST (UK) »
Do you have any dates in mind?

Hello,

Both of my grandparent's (Tanner and Compton) families came from the area. I can trace them from the 1941 census to 1994 when my grandfather died.

I know for sure that some of them worked at Upton Grange for Lord Templemore and some worked at The Grange, another manor house up the road, now a NT poroperty.

Some of my grandfathers generation are still alive and I was hoping there might be some people who might remember them or remember what life was like in Alresford/Old Alresford/Cheriton at the time..

As records from old big houses are sometimes kept I was hoping there might be some records somewhere still relating to the time. Perhaps some people have photos of the houses and the workers?

fingers crossed!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 23:51 BST (UK) »
Arthur Claud Spencer Chichester, 4th Baron Templemore KCVO DSO OBE DL (12 September 1880 – 2 October 1953) was a British soldier and politician of Anglo-Irish descent.
He was a Deputy Lieutenant of Hampshire. He grew up at Upton House, Alresford, in Hampshire.

There's some memories of a lady who worked at Upton House here:
https://alresfordmemories.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/alresford-memories-from-gladys-ashe/

It might be worth while searching that website?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MET128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 October 16 00:02 BST (UK) »
hi, yes I've been reading through that website. I sent and email to the host but no reply as yet.

I wonder if Gladys is still alive?

My grandfather lived in one of those prefab houses. He had a heart attack when they refurbished them back in the early 1990s. I think the stress of it was too much for him. He was used to his old Rayburn and wooden house. He did not want to be moved into temporary accommodation while they 'modernised' his home. He like it just the way it was - well it had done him proud for the last 50 years!!

A bit of a sad tale really... 😕