Author Topic: Weavers/Millworkers in Dundee (or Forfar?)  (Read 938 times)

Online Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
Re: Weavers/Millworkers in Dundee (or Forfar?)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 06:06 BST (UK) »
I would say that finding out a date from the clothing would be a step forward.

From that you could establish where your family were at that time & what factories were around at that time?

Without a rough date it's a needle in a haystack.

A date would help you to decide which likely family members were old enough to be working, how old the people in the photo might be to help with a rough year of birth etc.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 April 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
Looking at the length of the ladies skirts and their hairstyles my guess would be late 1920's to 1930's.

My own paternal family all worked in the Dundee Jute Mills from the mid 1800's onwards.

At one time there were lots of mills in Dundee now all sadly gone. Except for Verdant Works which is now a museum.

Marjorie what street address do you have? It may help identify the mill.

Dorrie
Small, Dundee
Dickson, Dundee
Patrick, Scotland
Easson, Scotland
Small, Co. Antrim
Madden, Co. Westmeath
Dickson, Co. Down

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MarjorieMcLeish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 April 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
They were at 45 Cotton Road in Dundee, Scotland
McLeish
Small
Hagan
Wilson
Gardiner
Gardner
Ross
Williamson

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 April 17 19:57 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandparents and their family were living at 35 Cotton Road in the 1911 Census. The lady who is my Avator is my Great Grandmother.

There were many Jute Mills in Dundee including - Eagle Mills in Victoria Street, Tay Spinners in Arbroath Road, Cox's, Baxters and Wm Halley & Sons. Not sure of the addresses at the moment. I know with my family they all tended to work near to home.

Dorrie

P.S. Wm Halley & Sons were near Alexander Street. Eagle Mills, Tay Spinners and Wm. Halley were all a short distance from Cotton Road.
Small, Dundee
Dickson, Dundee
Patrick, Scotland
Easson, Scotland
Small, Co. Antrim
Madden, Co. Westmeath
Dickson, Co. Down