Author Topic: Weavers/Millworkers in Dundee (or Forfar?)  (Read 7807 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Weavers/Millworkers in Dundee (or Forfar?)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 06:06 BST (UK) »
I would say that finding out a date from the clothing would be a step forward.

From that you could establish where your family were at that time & what factories were around at that time?

Without a rough date it's a needle in a haystack.

A date would help you to decide which likely family members were old enough to be working, how old the people in the photo might be to help with a rough year of birth etc.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 April 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
Looking at the length of the ladies skirts and their hairstyles my guess would be late 1920's to 1930's.

My own paternal family all worked in the Dundee Jute Mills from the mid 1800's onwards.

At one time there were lots of mills in Dundee now all sadly gone. Except for Verdant Works which is now a museum.

Marjorie what street address do you have? It may help identify the mill.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline MarjorieMcLeish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 April 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
They were at 45 Cotton Road in Dundee, Scotland
McLeish
Small
Hagan
Wilson
Gardiner
Gardner
Ross
Williamson

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 April 17 19:57 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandparents and their family were living at 35 Cotton Road in the 1911 Census. The lady who is my Avator is my Great Grandmother.

There were many Jute Mills in Dundee including - Eagle Mills in Victoria Street, Tay Spinners in Arbroath Road, Cox's, Baxters and Wm Halley & Sons. Not sure of the addresses at the moment. I know with my family they all tended to work near to home.

Dorrie

P.S. Wm Halley & Sons were near Alexander Street. Eagle Mills, Tay Spinners and Wm. Halley were all a short distance from Cotton Road.
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Douglas1379

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 August 19 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm a 1st time poster, I found your picture interesting the gentleman on the right looks like my grandads double myself and my grandad are Dicksons, my great grandfather was originally from Dundee.
You mentioned you had more photos do you have anymore of the person on the right?

Kind regards

Douglas Dickson

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 August 19 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Douglas and a warm welcome to Rootschat from me. Hope you enjoy using the site.

My grandmother was a Dickson from Dundee. Her name was Euphemia Dickson daughter of John Dickson and Eliza Jane McManus. She was born in 1891 and died in 1960 all in Dundee.

John Dickson was the son of Alexander Dickson and Margaret Chalmers. He was born in 1869 and died in 1954.

My Dickson's were originally from County Down, Ireland.

If you would like to post details of your great grandad perhaps there is a family connection somewhere.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Douglas1379

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 August 19 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi dorrie thanks for the replay, my Dickson ancestors were originally from kirriemuir, I don't think there is a connection between our 2 families I can trace my Dickson ancestors to the late 1700s all in the Angus forfarshire area.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 August 19 12:53 BST (UK) »
No there will not be a connection between our families.

Thanks for your reply.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline acorn baby

• RootsChat Extra
  • looking for family in angus, aberdeenshire, fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi to everyone who has responded! Unfortunately I had to take some time off from researching, but I'm back! I want to respond specifically to some of you...

Annie (Rosinish) thanks for your suggestion in reply#6, you said "You can then possibly find your relatives on census' as Mill Workers or similar & from the clothes dating find which companies were around such as Jute/Flax Mills?" and in reply#10 you said "finding out a date from the clothing would be a step forward. From that you could establish where your family were at that time & what factories were around at that time?" - unfortunately most of my family lived in Dundee and worked in the mills for several generations, and as Dundee was the jute capital of the world and had so very many factories, I'd say that it's definitely going to be a struggle, so I'm looking for another way to narrow it down. Just hoping that someone recognises the building or a person, then I can use that info to point me in the right direction.

Marjorie McLeish, you said in reply#7 "I am more then certain the gentleman on the left is my husband grandfather William McLeish! ... I have a few Pictures of him as well if you would like to see" but you didn't know how to add them - when you are replying, use the 'attachments and other options' below the text box and then attach a photo from your computer. Would love to see the man you mentioned! Also in reply#12 you said your ancestors were at 45 Cotton Road in Dundee. When was this? My ancestor's siter Mary Wilson and husband James Whyte lived at this address with their family in 1941! Any connection do you think?

Douglas Dickson, in reply#14 you said "I found your picture interesting the gentleman on the right looks like my grandads double myself and my grandad are Dicksons, my great grandfather was originally from Dundee." Well, I know of some connection to Dickson - an ancestor's sister, Adeline Massie, married Thomas Dickson Hutcheson in Dundee in 1904. They lost a 9 year old son in 1915 (fell in river Tay). Any connection at all do you think?

Thanks again to all who are making suggestions!
Massie - Dundee, Brechin,
Nicoll - Letham, Forfar
Wilson - Dundee, Fife, Aberdeenshire
Stewart - Cupar Angus, Dundee
Chalmers - Forfar area
Murray - Forfar area
Moug - Forfar area
Tyrie - Forfar area
Collie - Forfar area