Author Topic: What happened to John Cook & Frances Crowder 1812-1813 at Knottingley?  (Read 11270 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to John Cook & Frances Crowder 1812-1813 at Knottingley?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 00:25 BST (UK) »

The Will for Samuel Hood I find interesting, Samuel Hood died in Netherbury Dorset in 1805 aged 90.
Birth c1715

Samuel Hood bapt. 14 Aug 1715 Netherbury, son of Alexander Hood ( this guy had lots of children in Netherbury)

The only marriage for a Samuel H is in Netherbury on 12 Feb 1750 to an Ann BEER.

POSSIBLY the family were in Mosterton until 1763, there are children born there - father Samuel

ELIZABETH 18 Mar 1752,    Alexander bpt. 27 Apr 1758,   Arthur bpt. 13 Jan 1754,  Ann bpt. 22 Mar 1756. And a Samuel bpt.  in Netherbury 25 May 1763.

Did we ever find the rogue George Hood born to Hope H in Dorset ?

Another Hood at the Palace  :)
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
Depending how old Miss/Mrs Hood of Buckingham Places was at death, maybe she got in the family way illegitimately by a royal household member circa 1786, and named her child George after the fathers name. Thus George when he gets older tries to cover up records of his origins so he can live a normal life.  ::)

The word Regent of the times

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_IV_of_the_United_Kingdom
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hello

Claire, that is another Miss/Mrs Hood dying 1797 and not the Hood/s I found serving Queen Caroline at Brandenburg House.

Brandenburg House
https://lbhflibraries.wordpress.com/2014/11/25/queen-caroline-in-fulham/

However, I am beginning to wonder if there is something questionable over my unknown family descent.

George Hood and Sarah Russell married by Licence, making an Allegation and Bond in May 1815 and their Wedding was two months later. A Marriage Alleg./Bond was valid for three months, so the delay in itself, may not be unusual.

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
I rather feel that George's birth and burial is more questionable. No Anglican baptism that anyone has found - baptises children in a CofE church - and buried by Quakers along with members of his family.

He wasn't a member of the Quakers ???

But, as you say Sarah Russels background maybe open to scrutiny also.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
Only one burial that I can see in London, right time - a youngish woman too.

Elizabeth HOOD buried 14th November 1797 at Westminster: St John the Evangelist at Smith Square
Additional info: 31 years old. Residence: Little George Street
An 'M' after her surname - presuming it means Miss, others have Mrs.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 12:57 BST (UK) »
Mary Russell must have married a Burton.

William Russell has married a Mary Burton.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=770770.0

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
 With Sarah Russel baptizing her children C of E by sound of her family were well knitted into the parish and by all account Sarah was trained in the art of straw hat making in an established business.

George Hood by records known so far of his origins seem not of Selby but of Yorkshire by the 1841 census, he met and married this local Anglican establish family woman of the town in 1815, who he married by licence, when it is known George had lived in the parish at least 3 years from 1812 who could have married by reading of the banns and there must have been reasons why not.

In later life some of his children were connected to the Quaker religion and married Quaker spouses, who one Jane Casson Hood could have been a strong influence of Sarah Hood (Russel) in her old age being the reason she was buried 1879 in a Quaker burial ground where she died and time wise would fit as a 34 years a widow life intermixed with her Quaker daughter in law also a widow over circa 17 years. This scenario seems convincing till its been found George Hood was originally buried in the same Quaker Selby burial ground in 1845 some 35 years earlier obvious not a practicing Quaker as 30 years of marriage to an Anglican wife being a family man with children. George's own religion before marriage as father of Anglican children is up for serious thought and his Quaker none practicing Quaker burial 1845.

No record of George's origins of a baptism is known but we do know in the 18th century Quaker births were not always recorded in book register form but in notes of friends meeting house gatherings and it is also known from Quaker marriages Quakers must have traveled vast distances where a grooms and brides came from different parts of the country in many cases.

Could this be the case of a mixed Anglican and Quaker marriage also.

Could George have been a journeyman Quaker cooper with business knowledge or backing of from his Quaker upbringing but tantalizing (riding) his deep religious views or beliefs between Quaker and Anglican of maybe his parents of mixed religion beliefs also..

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Unless, I'm lucky to drop on an early Will, which mentions a Hood of Selby, to get an inroad into the wider family, or these other Manor of Selby docs at Preston, tell me his origin, I think I'm about stuck.

I've got a list of about 70-80 Hood Yorkshire Wills, quite a few seen and notes already made, a few supplied and I'm going to keep ordering two at time now, until the Hood, Yorkshire Will list is exhausted.

I have linked one Hood family 1780's at Scarborough, West to the Malton area.

Two Yorkshire Hood families seem to have links to Yorkshire Carr and Garbutt surnames.

Wells Hood and Richard Hood of Catwick are linked. The business of Wells Hood, wine and spirit merchants of York got taken over by a London company.

By the time of William Hood's death 1870, they seemed to have finished Brewing at Selby, but I notice a Marshall brewer and Sarah Hood nee Richarson has died at the Marshall's residence, occupation Independent, own means, at Holme on Spalding Moor and taken to Selby Cemetery to be buried with the late John Hood (Tanner), their infant child and a Richardson.

I have found her death address, later in the newspaper being sold as an Inn, with land and outbuildings at Holme on Spalding Moor.

Seems many Hoods favoured brewing and mine were into the leather industry too.

Incidentally, I typed into Google, Procter and Selby and it took me to one of the Directors (details hidden) of the multi-national Procter and Gamble company. Some of their Directors are old, one over a 100.

I recall as a boy the success of Procter and Gamble, being discussed at the dinner table between my Grandparents. Gamble came from Ireland and linked up with a Procter and formed what turned out to be a most successful soap and cleaning products company.

The male Hoods tended to die young and their Widows sold up and lived on the proceeds. We don't tend to chase it, as business can take up family time. Contentment and trying to keep my health as stable as possible is an aim. This family stuff, is a hobby and local history an interest.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
A few questions

We know Sarah Russels parents were William Russel and Mary Burton.

If your Mary Russel ( nee Burton) married Thomas Goldsbrough in 1805 - why was she 'of the parish of Sculcoates' ?

Why were Maudland Hood and Charles Turner in Sculcoates ?

By 1805 George H would be around 20 years of age - could this be when he first met the Russel family ?

Dobfarm yours is a good post regarding the Quaker angle.

What if George received a Quaker upbringing ? Schooled by Quakers, apprenticed by Quakers - where could he do this in Yorkshire ?
Could he have been resident at the Ackworth School - it could account for not being able to track him at all.

Loses his Quaker ways when he meets Sarah Russel and the rest is history.

Just thoughts  :-\