Author Topic: What happened to John Cook & Frances Crowder 1812-1813 at Knottingley?  (Read 11264 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to John Cook & Frances Crowder 1812-1813 at Knottingley?
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 02 June 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hello

Regarding my Reply #43 (previous page), I have found some additional information relating to Samuel HOOD, a Seaman mentioned in the Will of Ann HOOD, 1799, Kingston upon Hull.

Mordland TURNER (alias Morland Turner) nee Maudland HOOD of Selby (bapt Scarborough) was having children baptised at Hull 1797 & 1799.

The surname GARBUTT also has some links (by Marriage) to other familiar surnames, come across in my George HOOD research and Ann HOOD, late of Morton, Lincolnshire was apparently residing at Hull in 1799.

Hull Packet, 15th July 1800
SAMUEL HOOD, a Seaman, wanted.
If SAMUEL HOOD, Son of MICHAEL
HOOD, late of Morton, near Gainsborough, in
Lincolnshire, be living, and will apply to Mr GARBUTT,
Woollendraper, in Lowgate, Hull, he may
receive 300l, left by the late Mrs. Ann Hood,
his Mother-in-Law, to himself or his heirs:-The
said Samuel Hood is or was by profession a seaman;
if living, is about 64 years of age; supposed to sail out
of London, but it is not known on what service or
station, as he has not been heard of for some years.
-If dead, any Person or Persons coming forward and
proving his death, and a legal claim as his heir or
heirs, will be entitled to the above property.
GEORGE ENGLAND.
Hull, July 10, 1800.

Summary of the Will of Ann Hood, 1799, of Kingston upon Hull (copied from the copy scribbled into the Will Register and difficult to read, double 'tt' may be double 'rr') ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=781212.msg6355993#msg6355993

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 10 June 18 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hello

Think I am onto something I hope, with striking place similarities too? Still needs more research.

Hello All

I am reviewing the 1833 Deed Registration of the Wren Lane property (ex Henry Mitton's), belonging to John CLARKSON of Newport, Eastrington, Farmer, who transferred a Dwelling House and Yard to George HOOD of Selby, Private Brewer, in 1833. The Registration also says that George Hood occupied the neighbouring property of the Hon. Edward Robert Petre (Lord Petre).

The 1833 Registration of the Transfer, by John CLARKSON was witnessed by Robert STANILAND of Selby, Joiner and Wm Shearburn of Snaith, Attorney.

Snaith 10th September 1827 Henry MITTON married Eliza SHILLITO (Eliza Shillett in York Herald and both of Snaith).

Added in this quote: Henry MITTON & Eliza MITTON (nee Shillito) became Henry EADON Esq. (d.1861, aged 71) & Eliza EADON of Snaith, due to the Grant of the 'Arms of Eadon'.

Francis EADON of Whitley in 1826, Whitley was where George HOOD's 1815 marriage Bondsman Chester Newby was born in 1790.

York Herald, 30th July 1825
On Wednesday week, at Eastrington, near Howden, Mr. S. A. Garbut, (of the firm of Staniland and Garbutt, silk mercers, of Hull) to Mary, eldest daughter of Mr John Clarkson, farmer and miller, of Newport.

Gazette Notice of 1831
ADDED - Gazette Notice of 1831 - Staniland and Garbutt, Silk Mercers and Drapers at the Town of Kingston upon Hull being dissolved, dated 31st December 1830.
Joseph S. STANILAND.
Saml. A. GARBUTT.

1799 Eastrington
John CLARKSON of this Parish and Elizabeth ROBINSON of the Parish of Howden by Licence
Wit. Leon CLARKSON & Wm ROBINSON

1st December 1810
A Good MALT-HOUSE, at Newport, Wallingfen, near Cave ... apply CLARKSON and ROBINSON at Newport, aforesaid.

19 November 1824
On the 5th inst., at Newport, near Cave, Mr. William Robinson, aged 59, (of the firm of Clarkson and Robinson, farmers and millers,) son of the late Mr. Jos. Robinson, of Immingham, in this county, and Brother to Mrs. Taylor, Silver Street, Hull.

Leicester Chronicle, 5th June 1841
On Tuesday, at SCULCOATES Church, Hull, Mr Edward BOYER, of Hathern, eldest son of Mr. Richard BOYER, of Skeffington Vale, in this county, to Anne, youngest daughter of Mr John Clarkson, of Beverley Road, Hull.
Wit: Saml A. GARBUTT, Mary Anne STEPHENSON, Mary GARBUTT, Sarah BOYER.

[Another Mary Ann STEPHENSON married Robert Railton GRUBB 1854 at Lund (near Beverley). GRUBB link to a descendant of Maudland HOOD of Selby (Maudland HOOD bapt Scarborough, married Charles TURNER at Selby in 1794) ]

Hull Advertiser, 23 January 1852
On the 17th inst., at his residence, Beverley Road, Hull, aged 84 years, Mr. John CLARKSON, formerly of Newport, Yorkshire, father of Mrs. S. A. Garbutt, of this town. He had been an uniformly consistent and attached member of the Wesleyan Society for upwards of half a century.

However, in 1871 Edward BOYER lived at Bayfield, Stamford Road, BOWDON (Altrincham Street Directory), see also 1871 Census. Anne BOYER [nee Anne CLARKSON] died Feb 1871 aged 57 years.

BOWDON was where my George HOOD and William HOOD (both late of Selby) were also living 1871.

Very interesting that in 1871, Edward BOYER who was of Hathern, Leicester, Leicestershire, and Leicester was where my 2 X Gt Grandfather George HOOD lived in the 1870s decade?

Yorks Gazette, 18 May 1844
The witness on the 1833 George Hood of Selby, Deed copy was Robert Staniland, Joiner, who married Miss Martha Jackson at Selby and both of that place, had been living together under the same roof upwards of 25 years and had a combined age of upwards of 120 years.

I think this research in the newspapers has some more mileage yet, due to various place links with my HOODs and that another Mary Ann STEPHENSON, to the Mary Anne STEPHENSON witness in the BOYER marriage, marries Robt Railton GRUBB, linking back to Maudland HOOD of Scarborough and Selby (who became a TURNER at her 1794 Selby marriage)?

Mark

Brief background on "Mr Pearson Solicitor marrying Miss Mitton.

"Mr Pearson" was Mathew Pearson a Solicitor in Selby.  He was born in Laughton-en-le-Morthen (Rotherham, Yorkshire)  in 1774 to John Pearson (Yeoman) and Francis Sinclair.  He married Sarah Ann Mitton.

Henry Mitton, Brewer of Snaith married Mary Eaden of Kellington 1 Jan 1775.  He died 1803 in Snaith.   He had a son Henry born 1790 (farmer in Snaith in 1828).  His eldest son William took over his father's copyhold in Snaith.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hello

Well the elusive George Hood has done it again!

This Deed Memorial has missed off the all important Act of Parliament title or Act date, so I don't know if this was a standard registration under the Act regarding registering all Deeds after 1708 at Wakefield (none of the other registrations sent, start with this reference to an Act), or one that might be inrolled at one of the Royal Courts at Westminster or in a County Court.

It does not confirm any clue.

"Clarkson to Hood"
"Reg'd 11th May 1833 at Nine in the Forenoon"

"A Memorial to be entered at the Register Office at Wakefield in and for the West Riding of the County of York pursuant to Act of Parliament of certain Indentures of Lease and Release bearing the date respectively the Sixth and Seventh days of May in the year of our Lord One thousand Eight hundred and Thirty Three the Lease made Between John Clarkson of Newport in the Parish of Eastrington in the County of York Farmer of the one part and George Hood of Selby in the said County of York Private Brewer of the other part and the Release made Between the said John Clarkson of the first part the said George Hood of the second part and Henry Mitton of Snaith in the said County of York Gentleman of the third part Of and Concerning all that Cottage Tenement or Dwellinghouse with the yard behind the same situate and being in a certain street in Selby aforesaid called Wren Lane" ...

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
An Abstract of Title document mentions a George COCKIN at Sandholme Eastrington, County of York, Farmer, in 1814.

Sandholme was apparently a hamlet.

Also a Will proved at York in 1898 for Elizabeth Hairsine of Sandholme Yorkshire widow who died November 1897 Probate to Amaziah Hairsine farmer and Mary HOOD.

Mark

I have asked the Parliamentary Archives regarding the 1833 registration.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hello

Here is another example (on Rootschat) of a Wakefield Deed registration with reference to an Act of Parliament relating to a 'Bargain & Sale' transfer of property ...

To the Registrar of the Registry Office of WAKEFIELD in and for the West Riding of the County of York.
"A Memorial to be registered pursuant to an Act of Parliament made and pafsed in the Fifth Year of the Reign of Her Late Majesty QUEEN ANNE instituted an act for enrolment of bargains and sales within the West Riding of the County of York in the Registry Office there lately provided

The Rootschat poster goes on to say he found the property registered on a Roll in the then Public Record Office, now TNA, Kew.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=669057.msg5141379#msg5141379

----------

1823 Selby Valuation for the Equalizing of the Poor's Rate
I can find a John Clarkson as an owner of Selby property, but not at Wren Lane in the 1823 Selby Survey for rates (I have all the images on FS), but I can see George Hood occupying a property belonging to Lord Petre in Wren Lane.

Names of those found listed as Wren Lane, Selby, in 1823
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6362997#msg6362997

-----------

Here is another Act online ...
"An Act for uniting the Office of the Surveyor General of His Majesty's Works and Public Buildings with the Office of the Commissioners of His Majesty's Woods, Forests, and Land Revenues ; and for other Purposes relating to the Land Revenues." (13th February 1832.)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CRNDAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&dq=deeds+inrolled&source=bl&ots=Cl6oNcDoNo&sig=AY-o1S8zvxgsjoEJpto7Whh9O-4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiL4aau4M7bAhVrB8AKHdBFBogQ6AEwBHoECAIQAQ

Selby being an old place may have some old properties which come under Church Lands, Crown Lands, or had Crown Tenants, or subject to some other old Custom or Rent or Tithe, etc., Crown Lands sometimes known as Crown Estate.

The National Archives, Kew.
Office of the Land Revenue Records ...
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C201

----------

Our local pub The Plough Inn, Stockingford, was subject to A Quit or Fee Farm Rent in the late 18th Century, as the Inn had once been owned by Tomkinson's Manor of Stockingford who sold to John Proctor, Victualler of Stockingford in the 18th Cent. In the 1764 Lord Paget to Lord Tomkinson Survey John Proctor had been a Tenant of the Manor with Joshua Kelsey nearby and others.

Mark

This Deed Memorial has missed off the all important Act of Parliament title or Act date, ...

It does not confirm any clue.

"Clarkson to Hood"
"Reg'd 11th May 1833 at Nine in the Forenoon"

"A Memorial to be entered at the Register Office at Wakefield in and for the West Riding of the County of York pursuant to Act of Parliament of certain Indentures of Lease and Release bearing the date respectively the Sixth and Seventh days of May in the year of our Lord One thousand Eight hundred and Thirty Three the Lease made Between John Clarkson of Newport in the Parish of Eastrington in the County of York Farmer of the one part and George Hood of Selby in the said County of York Private Brewer of the other part and the Release made Between the said John Clarkson of the first part the said George Hood of the second part and Henry Mitton of Snaith in the said County of York Gentleman of the third part Of and Concerning all that Cottage Tenement or Dwellinghouse with the yard behind the same situate and being in a certain street in Selby aforesaid called Wren Lane" ...

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
1832 Selby Land Tax

Owner               Occupier
p.10   Geo HOOD,  FAWCETT John, House  [probably one of Hood's Houses in Gowthorpe, Selby]
p.14 Lord PETRE,  HOOD George, House [Wren Lane, Selby, Reg'd to HOOD in 1836 (late Rich'd Gibson's) ]
p.14   Geo HOOD,  HOOD George, Maltkiln [if this was ex Clarkson's then Hood is already Proprietor?]
p.20   Geo HOOD,  NUTT Richard, House [Gowthorpe. Reg'd to HOOD 1831, one house divided into three]
p.20   Geo HOOD,  OLIVER George, House [likely the third house of Hood's in Gowthorpe, Selby]

Unfortunately, I don't have any Clarkson - Owner, nor any Henry Mitton - Occupier pages printed off (if any in 1832), as I was not looking for them, about two years ago.

But it seems that George HOOD might already own one Wren Lane property in 1832, or was not subject to Land Tax and excluded in the Land Tax, or some other unknown or spurious reason, possibly forcing Hood to register Clarkson's ex property in 1833, due to an Act of Parliament?

George Hood owned at least two properties and a Yard in Wren Lane, Selby. One property formerly owned by John Clarkson of Newport, Eastrington and the other Wren Lane property formerly owned by the Lord of the Manor, Hon. Edward Robert Petre of Stapleton Park, Yorkshire and the Earl of Surrey Hon. Henry Charles Howard.

I'll keep digging away at this Clarkson owned property, as it may, or may not be important to discovering new information about George Hood?

I've got a load of stuff on HOOD of Selby, but several items, unfortunately leave me with unanswered questions.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 22 November 18 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Been thinking of that 'George Hood' appearing in the 1813 Knottingley Land Tax and then saw again Robert Hood the illegitimate Son of Hannah Hood being baptised the same year and place.

Then thought, what if George Hood (in 1813 at Knottingley), was renting somewhere for Hannah Hood, short term to have her child.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758380.msg6233710#msg6233710

That George Hood didn't have to live there to be responsible for paying the Rent/Land Tax, he just had to rent the property for some reason (currently unconfirmed).

Robert Hood went on to marry Ann Hirst (and there was a Hirst in the house of Charles Hood of Selby in the 1891 Census), although I seem to think that a direct link couldn't be found, between the two Hirsts.

Seems the same Hannah Hood died, aged 63 yrs in 1842, buried as a "Single woman", so I have ordered her Death Certificate, just to see who was present at her death.

----------

The Proprietor of the property was George Wilkinson in 1813 and the Directory of 1822 says George Wilkinson, Racca Green.

Racca Green, Knottingley, is a road which goes down to the Canal and that Canal joins to the River Aire in two places at Knottingley.

The Canal from the River Aire at Knottingley (the other way) goes roughly East through Great Heck, Pollington, Rawcliffe and links to the River Ouse at Goole.

----------

There was a John Hood marrying Sarah Thompson (info scant on marriage image) and this couple appear at first look to be the parents of Hannah Hood.

I'll let you know if Hannah Hood's Death Certificate reveals anything of interest.

Mark