Author Topic: McGillivray, McDonald, McKinnon  (Read 3296 times)

Offline tangwa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McGillivray, McDonald, McKinnon
« on: Saturday 29 October 16 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters,

Hoping someone may be able to assist in determining if my ancestors are from the Isle of Skye and if there is any further research documents for them (birth, marriage, death etc).

I have an Archibald McGillivray born c. 1805 (father noted on death cert (index) as Charles)
who married Janet (Jeanette/Jessie) McDonald c1830 (Janet's death cert (index)mentions parents as Mary McKinnon and Archi McDonald).

Other researchers have given the following details but I'm not sure how accurate it is given there is no citations (but here it is as it may help);
Archibald Hugh MacGillivary. Born 1805, Isle of Skye, father Charles b.1780
Janet McDonald born 1800, Isle of Skye to Mary Mckinnon b. 1780, Archibald McDonald b.1780

At some stage the family immigrates to Australia (possibly on the Henry Porscher in 1840) and they settle in Peterborough region (a small port town in South West Victoria, as farmers. they are buried at the Port Campbell Cemetery which is very close to the tourist trail known as the Great Ocean Rd where the Twelve apostles are (limestone stacks - very beautiful). This area is known as the Shipwreck Coast.

My research on the children of this family is as follows:

Margaret c.1836 Scotland (Skye?)
Anne c 1836 Scotland (Skye?), marries John McLeod, d 1926 Kew (Melbourne Vic)
Donald c. 1839 (birth registered in Vic 1842)
Duncan c. 1839 (birth registered in Vic 1842)
Charles 1841 (birth registered in Vic in 1842, noted as McGillioray with note attached brothers christened on same day) marries Janet/Jessie McDonald, dies 1915 at Peterborough, Death index notes born in Elizabeth St, Melbourne (now part of the CBD).
Mary b. 1847 Vic marries Alexander Ross.
Euphemia b. 1848 (Melbourne, noted on Marriage cert), marries David Wilson Patison (1840 Scotland - 1912 Ballangreich, near Warrnambool VIC) and dies 1897 in Ballangreich.

I have wondered if Donald and Duncan were born at sea, but then there is no record under the Victorian birth records for born at sea. Alternatively the family migrated out earlier and the birth records are lost or given Donald, Duncan and Charles were christened the same day, perhaps they lived to far from a registration office?? (although it appears they were in Melbourne for a time).

Hmm, hoping someone may have some answers or perhaps ideas on where to go next.

My ancestors are Euphemia and David Patison. They go onto have 8 children. I have some birth / death certificates for these family members.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Tanya in Brisbane, Australia.
Robilliard, Milne, Ogier, Lihou, Heckenberg, Beckett, Summers, Keevil, Appleton,Bilston, Chivers, Hogg, Patison, Mcgillivray, Anderson, Van de Wouw, Van der Loo,  Van der Meijden, Van Vugt, Marien, Cornelius

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: McGillivray, McDonald, McKinnon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 October 16 03:24 BST (UK) »
Margaret, dau of Archibald & Janet (McDonald), birth & christening, Sleat (Skye)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XBSC-DTY

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 October 16 03:43 BST (UK) »
This may be of interest for your research;

http://www.sleatlocalhistorysociety.org.uk/index.php/guestbook

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline tangwa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 16 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Annie,

I love the Sleat webpage, I have found a potential line of research via the Clan MacGillivray Society Australia - It's so interesting, I can't wait to learn more.

I'm hoping to be able to 100% confirm my direct ancestors came from skye and are related to the Clans there.

Thank you for your research :-)
Robilliard, Milne, Ogier, Lihou, Heckenberg, Beckett, Summers, Keevil, Appleton,Bilston, Chivers, Hogg, Patison, Mcgillivray, Anderson, Van de Wouw, Van der Loo,  Van der Meijden, Van Vugt, Marien, Cornelius

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 16 05:19 GMT (UK) »
All 3 surnames are to be found in that area so fingers crossed  ;)

My paternal line is MacKinnon but records don't go back far enough for the Skye connection sadly  :(

Annie

Offline tangwa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 February 17 04:43 GMT (UK) »
So, I have an update,

It appears there are two similar Archibald MacGillivray and Janet McDonad Families living on Skye in the 1830's.

My family line is:

Archibald Hugh MacGillivray + Janet MacDonald, from Aird, Sleat, Skye.
they have the children as per above post and also another Child John born c 1840's in Victoria Australia. This Family apparently travelled on the William Nichol in 1836 to Sydney. Margaret aged 2 died at sea.

They are a different family to the family that travelled on the Henry Porcher in 1840.
This family had different siblings and appear to come from Barravaig (which I think is near Loch Bharabhaig??).

Hopefully this may help anyone else researching either of these families and may shed some light on parental lines.

I have been advised that my Janet McDonald was from Glencoe, but again I have not been able to verify this with a cert or record.

Offline Kel-lea Lorraine Goodchild

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 December 18 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly enough i have DNA matches to the decendants of Catherine McKinnon & John Alexander McDonald.  Catherine McKinnon Birth 1760 Sleat, Inverness-shire, Scotland THIS is from the DNA matches tree so I do not know how accurate it is.I cannot figure out how my McKinnon line ties into this line but my ancestor was Joseph McKinnon b. 1734 Isle of Skye, Scotland  who married Margaret Dillow. I have DNA matches to many McKinnons which all originate in Scotland.

Offline Kyles13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 August 19 02:24 BST (UK) »
Kel-Lea
Which company did you have your DNA done through? Do they give you Family Tree matches? I have some McKinnon Ancestry so will be interested to find out more. I know little about my McKinnon ancestors other than they came from Skye.