Author Topic: Foinburg, Scotland?  (Read 6668 times)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Foinburg, Scotland?
« Reply #63 on: Monday 31 October 16 23:35 GMT (UK) »
I  was just about to type I wonder if there are naturalization papers when I read your post,Monica! There are a couple of shipping records for him from Hong Kong and  an entry in the 1920 and 1930 US census( crossed out in the 1930 census). His year of immigration is different in each one - this often seems to happen in the US census.

William
John McDonald Ross died in 1929 living his wife with six children. They had him on the census but crossed him off when the enumerator came round and did the survey and found that he had died. They lived in Alameda, Ca. Yes we have his immigration papers to the US and his natualrization papers
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 00:00 GMT (UK) »
I  was just about to type I wonder if there are naturalization papers when I read your post,Monica! There are a couple of shipping records for him from Hong Kong and  an entry in the 1920 and 1930 US census( crossed out in the 1930 census). His year of immigration is different in each one - this often seems to happen in the US census.

William

Added: Having just read your last post, Brian, I think the point  that both Monica  and I are trying to make is that John Ross who died 1913 and Jane  Ross , mother of John McDonald Ross, were not brother and sister. There is no documentary evidence to support that idea.

I agree that there wouldn't be a record of it....and yet John's mother was said by him to be Jane Ross and with and unknown father. It's possible. In the tree with Alexander and Isobel as parents ( grandparents to John), as he is listed at Grandson. Alexander is 58 and has a 20 year old daughter so could have an older son too.
Where is his mother and father of the grandson John? Like I said...coincidence that our John M Ross would be the right age, and just by fluke named all his children after other family members in this group, even the last one Fraser!

I agree with the premeditation of the shooting! Pretty hard to deny that something was in the wind if you did a will a day or so before!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Are you familiar with Scottish naming pattern? Important family names being used and repeated. See for example www.halmyre.abel.co.uk/Family/naming.htm

It wasn't always followed or in that order but there does tend to be a strong reference in a lot of Scottish families to important names. John does not seem to have used the name Jane for any of this daughters did he? However, he does seem to have used potentially his reputed father's name of John (and his own name) and his maternal grandfather Alexander and also some of his uncles' names.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Are you familiar with Scottish naming pattern? Important family names being used and repeated. See for example www.halmyre.abel.co.uk/Family/naming.htm

It wasn't always followed or in that order but there does tend to be a strong reference in a lot of Scottish families to important names. John does not seem to have used the name Jane for any of this daughters did he? However, he does seem to have used potentially his reputed father's name of John (and his own name) and his maternal grandfather Alexander and also some of his uncles' names.

Monica

Like I mentioned earlier...it was more common that one might think, especially in rural communities for a family to take on their unmarried daughter's child and it grew up never knowing, that what they thought was an older sibling, was in fact their mother. I have friends here in Canada and in the US who had similar situations. One of my closest friends only found out just before his sister died
(that she was his mother) Its usually never questioned when kids are young, and when you're in your 50s and your sister is in her 60s, it all might seem quite normal. It's unlikely to be officially recorded!

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 01:06 GMT (UK) »

Monica

The daughter's names seem to have followed his wife's and her sister's names Lillian, Catherine, Harriet, and Margaret (maybe Margaret is also his side) It looks like he named the sons after his side.

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Just want to thank everyone for the valuable input and many new directions. I'm going to read through all the posts carefully as well as follow some of these new leads. There's some gaps still, but what I'm now sure of is that the John Ross that was involved in the altercation causing his subsequent death, is definitely the adoptive father of Fred Thomson-Ross.

His supposed adoptive brother John McDonald Ross: we know his life from 1914 until he died in 1929.
Now I need to connect some dots.

I do appreciate everyone's help.
Thank you very much
Brian