Author Topic: Elusive Baptism for William Vickress Sr (Hope? Wellington? Bodenham?)  (Read 949 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Elusive Baptism for William Vickress Sr (Hope? Wellington? Bodenham?)
« on: Saturday 29 October 16 08:28 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the baptism of my ancestor, William Vickress (Sr), probably between 1755 and 1761 (but possibly within a wider range (c. 1750-1770)). The spelling of the surname changes  greatly from source to source, ranging from Vicarage to Vickridge and other wonderful variations which makes the search even tougher. The place of birth is equally puzzling, as explained below.

What is certain is that William married in 1784 in Wellington, Heref, which is where his wife had been born.

Through a process of elimination, I believe (and this is still a long shot) that William's parents were probably Thomas Vickress and Mary Harris, a couple whose marriage was recorded in 1755 in Bodenham, four miles away from Wellington. That same Thomas appears to have married Susannah Cox, as his second wife, in 1761 in Hope-under-Dinmore, where four children (none called William) were born between 1763 and 1768).

The link with Hope-under-Dinmore may be significant, as it was there that William Sr's son William Jr and the latter's two siblings were born between 1787 and 1795.

William Sr may have been born in Wellington (where he married), in Bodenham (where his alleged parents married), or in Hope-under-Dinmore (where his descendants and possible half-siblings were born).

If anyone has access to baptism records or transcripts from the area (I don't live in the UK) could they take a look for me?  :) Thank you!  ;D
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elusive Baptism for William Vickress Sr (Hope? Wellington? Bodenham?)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 October 16 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
This is a possible:
Name:    William Vicarage
Baptism Date:    3 Aug 1761
Baptism Place:    Bromyard,Hereford,England
Mother:    Hester Vicarage

Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 October 16 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hey Cimbrio - long time, no speak!

Have you looked at the wills at Herefordshire Record Office - I did a search on Vic* and got the following results https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/local-history-and-heritage/archives-collections/wills-index-search/?forename=&surname=Vic*&parish=&executornames=&from=&to=

The 1737 Leominster one could be interesting..........

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 October 16 15:24 BST (UK) »
Doh! Silly me - I just looked up the Herefordshire FHS Marriage Index 1538-1837 and William's entry of marriage in 1784 in Wellington specifically says he was from Hope-under-Dinmore. I guess that excludes Hester Vicarage's son.

The 1737 will seems interesting, though perhaps relating to the previous generation. It may be worth forking out the 12 pounds to get myself a copy... After all, William may well have been much older than his wife and an old man when he married in 1784... I need to plan a visit to the UK and to the Hereford Records Office for sure... :) :(
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 October 16 15:59 BST (UK) »
I just looked up the Herefordshire FHS Marriage Index 1538-1837 and William's entry of marriage in 1784 in Wellington specifically says he was from Hope-under-Dinmore. I guess that excludes Hester Vicarage's son.

The marriage record will give the 'abode' of the person at the time of the marriage which is not necessarily the place they were born.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk