Author Topic: Colonel J F Dean Morgan of Ballycross, Co. Wexford  (Read 3642 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Colonel J F Dean Morgan of Ballycross, Co. Wexford
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 October 16 17:06 BST (UK) »
Copy of royal licence to Robert Fitzmaurice Tilson Deane of Springfield Castle, to take the name of Morgan in addition to & after that of Deane & to quarter Morgan, 14 Dec 1854. GO MS 152:209-213
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 October 16 14:12 GMT (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/19936730?searchTerm=%22dean-morgan%22&searchLimits=l-decade=188
This is the marriage notice where the name is clearly Dean Morgan which matches the later spelling of the daughter's name in marriage and birth records. If the Dean is a typo, still cannot find a J. F. associated with the Deane Morgan family.
Have just spent  a merry old time looking through the British Newspaper Archive under possible keywords with a nil result. Would have thought there would have been some mention of a Colonel Morgan of Wexford.
Have just spotted that a Frances Morgan, born c1862, arrived in Brisbane from England 13 October 1888. The marriage was the 31 October so a possibilty? But cannot find a Frances Morgan born c1862 in Ireland.
But remember she was uncertain on the 1911 census where she was born. If her father was military she could have been born abroad but grew up in Ireland.
Seems that looking for J F Dean Morgan is like looking for  a ghost!

John

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 October 16 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Have just spotted that a Frances Morgan, born c1862, arrived in Brisbane from England 13 October 1888. The marriage was the 31 October so a possibilty? But cannot find a Frances Morgan born c1862 in Ireland.
But remember she was uncertain on the 1911 census where she was born. If her father was military she could have been born abroad but grew up in Ireland.

Where are you searching for birth of Frances Morgan? civil registration of births started in 1864
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 October 16 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Anywhere there might be a glimmer of light! But the lack of any record relating to a J F D Morgan is making me wonder it's not exactly correct!
Incidentally a 1905 newspaper has a brief bio of her which says she was a descendant of the famous Ulster chief Owen Roe O'Neill. If correct, not sure if it can be proved as I gather that three of his sons went abroad with little known about what happened to them (and any family). Though apparently there are lineage tables in 'Owen Roe O'Neill and the struggle for catholic Ireland' by Jerrold Casway (Pennsylvania, 1984). Not sure i want to spend a small fortune asking my local library to try to borrow copy on the off chance.
John

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 30 October 16 15:57 GMT (UK) »
ARDCANDRISK HOUSE, near Wexford, County Wexford, is a two-storey Regency villa. It was built by the Grogan-Morgans, though was acquired by the Deanes, Lords Muskerry, though marriage.

SIR ROBERT TILSON DEANE, 6th Baronet (1745-1818), MP for County Cork, who was raised to the peerage, in 1781, as BARON MUSKERRY.

Lord Muskerry was succeeded by his elder son,

JOHN THOMAS FITZMAURICE (1777-1824), 2nd Baron, CB, a major-general in the army, who married, in 1815, the second daughter of M Haynes, of Bishop's Castle; but died in 1824, without male issue, when the honours devolved upon his only brother,

MATTHEW FITZMAURICE (1795-1868)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 03:07 GMT (UK) »
I will confess that I have not been paying much attention to this thread, as tracking members of the landed gentry is usually straightforward. Note so sure that everything is kosher in this case though.

All military commissions were published in the London Gazette. For someone to be a colonel, there should be a string of notices in the Gazette over the years, as he rose through the ranks. The Gazette is online and fully searchable. It does not show a relevant Dean(e)-Morgan.
There is the complication, of course, that the gentleman in question could really just be a Dean(e), or Morgan, but even so. Also no sign of said gentleman by searching on "Ballycross".

I wonder if this is a case of undocumented gentrification and social promotion? Against that, in those days breeding and pedigree were usually carefully checked, so one would expect that Mr Campbell and family peered into the relevant social directories and club listings of the day...
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 17:23 GMT (UK) »
I must admit thinking that Colonel J F Dean Morgan may be a bit of an improvement of his status, perhaps on his daughter's behalf, especially as her husband was related to the Dukes of Argyll. The lack of any record for him does not help and I think I must count this as yet another, probably unsolvable, mystery that I seem to be finding at present. Many thanks to everyone for their help, but I think I must call time on the search.

many thanks
John

Offline Drayton25

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 09 January 17 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Howard Douglas Campbell was my grandfather's uncle and Phyllis, his first cousin.  As I recall she died in the early 60s, but she had married in Australia and I don't know her husband's name (she left him shortly afterwards).  I know the story was that Howard and Frances met on the boat going out to Brisbane and married shortly afterwards, but she was already acquainted with the family via her writing.  The other things I was told about her, I should rather relate privately, as they are not particularly flattering!  I too wondered about her ancestry, as there was a story that an ancestor was the inspiration for Becky Sharp from Vanity Fair.  I know she lived at Bickenhall Mansions, Baker street and, I think, died just before the war.

Mark