Author Topic: norfolk marriage bonds index circa 1760  (Read 1990 times)

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
norfolk marriage bonds index circa 1760
« on: Saturday 29 October 16 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Please can anyone help?

I know that Thomas Hill married Susanna Thompson in Wells on 1/9/1760 by Licence.

I am very keen to find this Marriage Bond, as it may give information on Susanna; I know that she was probably baptised on 2/10/1741 in Wells. I have used the familysearch site (Image Only), and have manually gone through all the available Marriage Bonds for Norfolk in the 4 courts (about 2000 pages!), but could not find it. So, I'm wondering if anyone had access to this Index and would please, put me out of my misery and see if it is there?

I'd be very grateful for any help/advice,

Thanks,

Kit

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: norfolk marriage bonds index circa 1760
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 16 19:40 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

This looks like the marriage licence transcribed at freereg,

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01irq/

I can see the original image at Ancestry this is my transcription,

Wells-next-the-Sea, Norfolk
Church:  St Nicholas
Page no:  27
Register entry number: 108
Marriage date 1 Sep 1760

Thomas HILL of the parish of Walsingham, single man
and
Susanna THOMPSON of the parish of Wells, single woman
Married in this church by licence, this first day of September in the year one thousand seven hundred and sixty by me    Robt  Goodwyn Clerk
In the presence of   J FULLER,  ?uge DENNIS

One thing that I noticed was that the person marrying them was a clerk whereas at least 12 marriages either side of this entry were married by J ROBINSON Rect.

Hope this helps :)

Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Online The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 16 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

That's the marriage certificate Daisy, the original of which can be seen here

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01irs/

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 October 16 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daisy and The Yokel,

Thank you very much for your replies.

Unfortunately, what I'm after is not the Marriage Certificate, but the Marriage Bond and Allegation - these were only used when the marriage was by Licence - I have seen a fair number of them, and they usually, if the bride is a minor, give information about her father - this might just give me vital information.
The problem with this particular marriage, is although it was by Licence, I cannot find the corresponding Marriage Bond and Allegation, despite looking, which is why I asked if anyone had access to the Index, to see if it has survived, and if it has, which ecclesiastical court it was in. So, please, if anyone can help, I'd be very grateful to hear from them.

Thanks,

Kit

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 18:20 GMT (UK) »

Oops, I didn't realise that you wanted the bond and/or the allegation and not the licence, a lack of concentration, sorry :-[

I should correct my above post, the image is not of the licence but of the parish register of the marriage. This is better than the marriage licence as it shows that the marriage definitely took place, a licence doesn't prove that the marriage actually happened. I should also mention that there is no actual marriage certificate as it is before 1837, I often forget that and call a parish record a certificate by mistake :)

I found this info here,

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01is5/

"The bonds are kept in yearly bundles for each court. Sometimes there is a name index to the bundle. Bonds were usually filed within two or three years of the date of the licence, but occasionally they were filed as many as ten years afterwards."

so it means that there might be even more images to look through.

You have probably also seen this, but just in case,

http://www.origins.org.uk/genuki/NFK/norfolk/church/adminareas.shtml#walsingham

which shows that Wells-next-the-Sea was in Walsingham Deanery which was in Norwich Archdeaconry. That might help narrow down which set of records to start with.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daisy,

Thanks again for your reply - don't worry about the confusion - I've done worse in the past! The main thing is that you tried to help me, so I'm grateful.

Already, I've spent the best part of 2 days trying to find this Marriage Bond and Allegation, so after reading your last message, I think I'll need to lie flat in a dark room and scream for a while!

Seriously, I suppose that I could try to look for it in later years, but somehow I don't rate my chances of finding it very high - but at least now, thanks to you, I now know the court that it ought to be in, which might help.

Thanks again for your help,

Kit

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Family Search does index marriage bonds/allegations, they appear as marriages (confusing, but very useful)
Those for the Archdeaconry of Norwich, 1760-1765, are on film number 1596271
So, doing a search on there for marriages in the year 1760, and putting 1596271 into the film number box, brings up 224 results, should be 112 couples (224 happens to be the total number of images they have for that year)

Now it starts to get a bit worrying.
For example, in the results I can see Robert Larkman and Mary Nicholls. It says "marriage" 22 November 1760, Norfolk. And you can see the documents in Norfolk Marriage Bonds, Archdeaconry of Norwich, 1760, images 15 and 16.

But Thomas Hill is not in the results. The 1760 marriage to Susanna Thompson is indexed on FS twice, but both times is from film 2149773, which is the one with the Wells parish registers on.

They also seem to have indexed some of the licences from the Norwich Consistory Court from that period, but I'm not sure they have done all of them.
John

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

Firstly I'd like to thank you for all your considerable efforts on my behalf.
I didn't even know that these ML Bonds for the Norwich Archdeaconry Court had been indexed on the Family Search site - I wish I had known that several days ago!
After reading the contents of your post, I'm not sure where to go from here. If anyone has got any ideas, then please, I'd love to hear from them.

Thanks again,

Kit

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 January 17 17:25 GMT (UK) »
People may be interested in this thread of mine from a way back, where The Yokel successfully found the scan image corresponding to an familysearch "wedding"

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=727842.0

(the thread later drifts into general research on the family concerned)

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk