Author Topic: 1939 Register Query Who Had Access?  (Read 3183 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 Register Query Who Had Access?
« on: Sunday 30 October 16 03:13 GMT (UK) »
   I hadn't bothered to look up our home address, 74 Durley Avenue Pinner Middx, in 1939 as I thought I knew it and that only my Mum and Dad and myself were likely to appear.   But someone has sent me a copy and it has some surprises.    Looks like I've been blanked out as are my friends of the same age as myself a few doors away either side.    One surprise is that I had completely forgotten that a lodger called Stan was with us for a while.  Once I saw his name it all came back.   
   My query is who was able to access the register, possibly in the years after the War was over?
   My Auntie Vera who died 3 years ago in Scarborough is shown as living with us which I don't remember happening.   Her name is given as Draffan Vera but somebody has crossed out Draffan and written in Crick above her name in a different colour ink.    Auntie Vera didn't marry Uncle Len Crick until the first quarter of 1941, so the alteration must have been by someone either in our family or who knew us well.
    I just thought the 1939 register had only been released to public view this year.  Clearly not.
      Malcolm Hutton
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register Query Who Had Access?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 16 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You have several misconceptions there. I suggest you Google 1939 register  FAQ and have a read
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 16 07:15 GMT (UK) »
   I hadn't bothered to look up our home address, 74 Durley Avenue Pinner Middx, in 1939 as I thought I knew it and that only my Mum and Dad and myself were likely to appear.   But someone has sent me a copy and it has some surprises.    Looks like I've been blanked out as are my friends of the same age as myself a few doors away either side.

You and your friends have been blanked out (redacted) because FindMyPast assume you are still alive due to your date of birth and your entry has not been marked as deceased.
You have the right contact them and ask that your entry is unredacted if you want that entry to be more complete.

One surprise is that I had completely forgotten that a lodger called Stan was with us for a while.  Once I saw his name it all came back.   
   My query is who was able to access the register, possibly in the years after the War was over?

Yes the 1939 can stir memories such as those you mention.
After the war quite a few “officials had access to the register including clerical staff who amended it for the National Health Services who used it until 1991

My Auntie Vera who died 3 years ago in Scarborough is shown as living with us which I don't remember happening.   Her name is given as Draffan Vera but somebody has crossed out Draffan and written in Crick above her name in a different colour ink.    Auntie Vera didn't marry Uncle Len Crick until the first quarter of 1941, so the alteration must have been by someone either in our family or who knew us well.

That would be one of the later amendments by the NHS due to her change of name when she married. It would have been done within a few days/weeks of her marriage by “officials” not by family or friends.

I just thought the 1939 register had only been released to public view this year.  Clearly not.
      Malcolm Hutton

The 1939 National Registration was released to the public on 26 November 2009, Seventy years after it was first taken. This access was by way of individual requests to the NHS.
It became available online on 02 November 2015 for the public to search by themselves.
FindMyPast are opening records of people who have died when they are notified of the death.
However please note that it will not be fully open until 2040 or 100 years after the birth of the last entry unless living people give permission for their entries to be opened

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 16 08:15 GMT (UK) »
But, how were divorces and the possible consequent change of the womans name back to her maiden name recorded, I wonder?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 16 09:28 GMT (UK) »
But, how were divorces and the possible consequent change of the womans name back to her maiden name recorded, I wonder?

In the 2 divorces that I know of,neither has had their name altered on the 1939 register back to their maiden one.

At least one of them stayed with her married name because she had children.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 October 16 09:50 GMT (UK) »
When divorced a woman s name does not automatically revert to her maiden name. Unless she changes her name then she will still be [Mrs] *whatevername*
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 October 16 10:42 GMT (UK) »

You have the right contact them and ask that your entry is unredacted if you want that entry to be more complete.

The record of a living person cannot be opened, even if that person requests it. You can submit a Data subject Access request for a full transcription of your own entry.

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 October 16 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I'd be interested to know more about when/how surname changes were updated. I have a couple of ladies in my family who I know married, yet only their maiden name appears on the register.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 October 16 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Presumably names were changed as, and when, the NHS heard about the changes?

After WW2 it became the NHS Central Register - so if a newly married woman didn't inform her doctor of the name change, then the Register wouldn't be updated?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)