Author Topic: 1939 Register Query Who Had Access?  (Read 3177 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register Query Who Had Access?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 October 16 19:17 GMT (UK) »
I didn't appear on the 1939 register - born 1942.  However, I do have my National Registration Identify Card, and it records at least 4 addresses between 16 June 1942 and 3 July 1945.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 October 16 20:02 GMT (UK) »
   Many thanks Guy, that has been very helpful, to know that it was officials who were updating the register.    So now I wonder if there were other amendments such as my being added to the list for 11 Newmarket Street, Consett, when I was sent back there (the house I was born in) to live with two great aunts towards the end of 1940 and then restored to the list for Pinner when I went back beginning of 1944.    I lost my National Identity Card some years ago.   I think the number on it was the same as what they use in Newcastle now for my part UK pension.

I do recall that whenever I went for a holiday either in Consett or with friends in Barry the first thing I had to do was to go to the Council Offices and get an Emergency Ration Card.

Just in passing I did find a photo on the net of one man who lived a little way down Durley Avenue - Mr Spackman VC.   In the photo taken before the war he is standing alongside the Prince of Wales - later King Edward VIII.   The story of how he won his medal in taking a German Machine Gun post is also there.   Had to salute him when I was home on leave from the RAF though he was not an officer.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 October 16 21:55 GMT (UK) »
The identity number became your NHS number.  The reference number for your pension will be your National Insurance number used for NI contributions, payroll, benefits and pensions.
Just thought I would add this in case anyone tried to reference pension numbers to the 1939 register.
Mary

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 October 16 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Malcolm33

Changes of address weren't recorded in the National Register at Southport, that information was only updated at local level and on identity cards. The registers at Southport were only updated to show the new area code if someone moved to another district. The local records were in the form of index cards for each person, rather than lists or registers.