Author Topic: 1939 Register Query Who Had Access?  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register Query Who Had Access?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 October 16 12:44 GMT (UK) »
While National Registration was still in force, it was a legal requirement to notify the local National Registration Office of deaths, and changes of name or address. Once it became the NHS Register only, changes of name and notifications of deaths were to be notified by the person's GP to the Central Register. This did not always happen, for a variety of reasons, so from 1952 onwards the information may be slightly less accurate.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 October 16 12:55 GMT (UK) »
My mum b 1927 is on there with her 1948 marriage to my dad being notified just 11 days after it happened.

Her 2nd marriage in 1973 (as my dad died in 1970) is also on there but this time 2 days short of 2 months after it happened.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 October 16 13:00 GMT (UK) »

You have the right contact them and ask that your entry is unredacted if you want that entry to be more complete.

The record of a living person cannot be opened, even if that person requests it. You can submit a Data subject Access request for a full transcription of your own entry.
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 October 16 13:02 GMT (UK) »
While National Registration was still in force, it was a legal requirement to notify the local National Registration Office of deaths, and changes of name or address. Once it became the NHS Register only, changes of name and notifications of deaths were to be notified by the person's GP to the Central Register. This did not always happen, for a variety of reasons, so from 1952 onwards the information may be slightly less accurate.
   If you apply a margin of error to each year, then by 1990 one could expect the error was substantial.  Whether there had been any attempt to computerise the records in the 1980s,  or whether that systems analysis work had resulted in the decision to purchase a new system.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 October 16 13:18 GMT (UK) »

You have the right contact them and ask that your entry is unredacted if you want that entry to be more complete.

The record of a living person cannot be opened, even if that person requests it. You can submit a Data subject Access request for a full transcription of your own entry.

Actually we are both inaccurate in our descriptions.

The ICO puts it like this
"Subject access provides a right for the requester to see their own
personal data, rather than a right to see copies of documents that
contain their personal data. Often, the easiest way to provide the
relevant information is to supply copies of original documents, but
you are not obliged to do this."

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 October 16 13:30 GMT (UK) »

There is story out there that doctors didn't notify deaths, because they were paid (by the Government) according to the no. of patients they had.
Notifying deaths would reduce the amount they were paid?!

But I can't find any verification of this story! :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 October 16 14:35 GMT (UK) »
I'd heard that you stood more chance of the register being updates if you died in hospital rather than notifying your GP too KG.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 October 16 14:39 GMT (UK) »
It is true that doctors were (and as far as I know still are) paid for every patient on their books. This obviously means that they had a financial incentive to fail to report deaths. But I can't think of any advantage in not reporting a change of name, so I suspect that ordinary run-of-the mill failure to complete all the paperwork has more to do with it. And if the doctor wasn't notified in the first place, they couldn't pass on the information to the Central Register. 

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 October 16 19:11 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if name changes are more frequently recorded for women with children - a childless woman might not visit her GP during her lifetime.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!