Author Topic: Laptop losing home wifi connection  (Read 3865 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop losing home wifi connection
« Reply #27 on: Monday 31 October 16 18:04 GMT (UK) »
How many telephone extentions have you got plugged into the incoming BT socket?

Try removing one of the telephones.

Why don't you take your laptop to somewhere like your Library with public wiFi      and see  how reliable their connection   is.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 31 October 16 19:15 GMT (UK) »

Sorry to butt in, but have you considered that the wi-fi receiver in your laptop may be faulty??

I know you say that it is only 2 years old, but it can happen that the laptop wi-fi receiver itself is faulty.

I'm asking because my son had this problem with one of his laptops.

I had/have considered it, but was hoping that it's not the laptop. 

However, as the right-click-Troubleshoot thingy worked yesterday I'm hoping that it would work again in the future if/when the wifi drops from the laptop.

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 31 October 16 19:19 GMT (UK) »
So do I.  ;)

The fault on our one is intermitent but it does drop the connection every now and then, but it can go for weeks without a problem.  My son says it's the wi-fi chip/card whatever they call it,  is failing.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 31 October 16 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Why don't you take your laptop to somewhere like your Library with public wiFi      and see  how reliable their connection   is.

99% of people don't have phones plugged in apart from the main one. All others are WIFI, you buy a box with 1, 2, 3, 4 or more phones and plug one in.

Therefore unplugging one is pointless/impossible. I take it you are one of the 1% SB.

Taking your laptop to the library is pointless also unless you happen to know before hand that it is going to have one of it's off days. Which it most likely wouldn't on the day you take it, but as soon as you get home!!!!!

We get the same and it's all to do with the speed of the BT supply which is often far from what they say it is or is supposed to be.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 31 October 16 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

99% of people don't have phones plugged in apart from the main one. All others are WIFI, you buy a box with 1, 2, 3, 4 or more phones and plug one in.

Therefore unplugging one is pointless/impossible. I take it you are one of the 1% SB.

Taking your laptop to the library is pointless also unless you happen to know before hand that it is going to have one of it's off days. Which it most likely wouldn't on the day you take it, but as soon as you get home!!!!!

We get the same and it's all to do with the speed of the BT supply which is often far from what they say it is or is supposed to be.

John915
      What evidence have you got to make your wild guess   at those statistics?

More like Twenty Per cent, surely.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 07:12 GMT (UK) »
 I have exactly the same problem & I live in  Menorca.
My contract is with Orange, my laptop was only bought in July & I never had the problem before.
The laptop is in the dining room & the router is in the living room. I have a router extender in the dining room & there is no problem with my tablet anywhere in the house, which is all ground floor.
I just have 1 landline phone & the router plugged in to the socket. There is no other equipment in the house.
Usually I get no warning & the laptop shows that it is still connected. If I wait a few minutes it comes back.
Patience is a virtue I don't have.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 07:29 GMT (UK) »
One often overlooked cause of dropout of WiFi signal when the router and laptop are on different floors of a building are lights.
Flourescent lights and also LED lights can in some cases interfer with the signal.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Could be the signal is failing from the router?
Signals don't like passing through solid walls, (forget the electrical interference for the moment)
Earlier I suggested loading a program called Inssider onto a moveable device. (laptop/tablet)
The idea is to monitor the signal emanating from your modem locally, then checking the signal level in another location within the property!
[Signal level will be noted in dB (lower is best)]
As a comparison on 2.4GHz sitting next to my modem signal is 31dB, moving away from modem the signal drops lower to a value of  55dB. (upstairs bedroom)
No 2 properties are alike, some have thick wall that 'soak up the signal' and cause an already weak signal to what I call a drop out! [loss of signal]  ???
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 04 November 16 09:11 GMT (UK) »
It appears that some of those people using a telephone signal and having a HH6 wireless modem are having repeated dropouts caused by the above HH6 modem!
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/4505053-bt-hub6-wireless-connection-repeatedly-dropped.html#Post4505053
[As I said earlier, I use a fiber connection to the outside world and not familiar with the above!]
 Brian 
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire