Author Topic: Thomas Johnson of Tarleton d. 1721  (Read 1648 times)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thomas Johnson of Tarleton d. 1721
« on: Monday 31 October 16 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have been researching the Johnson family tree for quite some time, but I am struggling to find out information on Thomas Johnson who died in Tarleton in 1721. I have his children, but no wife as it doesn't state her name on baptism records. I would like to find when Thomas was born and his parents or any brothers/sisters.

Problem is it is such a common name its getting harder to research the further back I go into the family tree  :(

In his will, his wife is named Ann(e), and has a brother in law with the last name of Howard. So his wife's last name must be Howard too. But I can't find any marriage for Thomas Johnson and Ann(e) Howard in Croston (most of the Johnson family were baptised, married and buried in St. Michael & All Angels in Croston), nor can I find any marriage for Thomas Johnson in this time period. I am guessing they were married 1700-1703 based on their first child being born in 1703.

Children of Thomas Johnson and wife (all baptised Croston):
Alice (b. 1703 d. 1705)
Hugh (b. 1705 d. 1705)
Thomas (b. 1707 d. 1759)
Hugh (b. 1709 d. 1749)
William (b. 1712 d. 1714)

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Beth
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Johnson of Tarleton d. 1721
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 00:02 GMT (UK) »
His brother in law could be his sister's husband, so his wife might not have been a Howard.
Heather

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, it makes sense since I can't find a marriage for them. But still I can't find any brothers or sisters and no parents.

Beth
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes naming patterns  help
and in Croston/Tarleton you have
Hugh Johnson
father to
Ann 16th August 1664
Hugh 21st June 1672
Margery 1678
Katherine 1679

Go back another thirty years and there is another Hugonis Johnson having children in the same area
sadly his childrens first names are not all recorded
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 20:55 GMT (UK) »
 Alice Sconce of Tarelton
was married to Hugh Johnson of Bertill in 166o
At ST Cuthberts  North Meols

perhaps by trying to put other Johnsons into family groups and looking for a will for the Hughs it might throw up another clue
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information Radcliff, I will look into those names. I have realised that most in the family are called either William, Thomas or Hugh.

The Thomas Johnson I am looking for information on had a son called Thomas, and there is debate on whether he was born 1707 or 1694, and the only baptism I can find is from 1694. It will therefore place Thomas' birth to around the 1660s or before.

From what I've researched none of the family had connections with North Meols, but of course there might be further back into the family tree.

Beth

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 21:04 GMT (UK) »
There is a Thomas Johnson baptism in Croston on 13/10/1667 to father Willim, living Bretherton and a brother Willim Johnson baptised Croston on 4/2/1665(6), again father Willim living Bretherton.

Could this be your Thomas Johnson who died 1721.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Pheno, I have seen this baptism before, but I hadn't registered it  ::) I will have a look. I have seen that this Thomas Johnson married Elin Jenkinson in Croston in 1687, so maybe they had more children? His wife in the will is called Ann, so he married again?

Beth

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 21:34 GMT (UK) »
quite a tangle

Ann Johnson widow
abode Tarleton
buried 9th March 1734