Author Topic: Lilliesleaf - Dods  (Read 3930 times)

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lilliesleaf - Dods
« on: Tuesday 01 November 16 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I am currently researching the Dods family who lived at Reperlaw, Lilliesleaf, Roxburghshire, around 1770.

Looking on 'familysearch' at Dods baptisms in Lilliesleaf between 1700 and about 1836, I find that many of them are recorded as born Lilliesleaf but baptised at Makerstoun (some 15 miles away). This occurs over a period of some 120 years. Other baptisms are at Maxton and Linton (also some distance from Lilliesleaf).

My experience of researching Scottish baptisms is very limited. I have never come across this before. Was something peculiarly Scottish going on here?

Any suggestions? Helpful ones preferred.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lilliesleaf - Dods
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 13:21 GMT (UK) »
This is quite common, especially in the agricultural community - it would suggest that where they are baptised could be at a family parish

It very common for families to move around the area, due to marriage or work, but still return to their family church to baptise their children

In the case of the Dods/Dodds family name is very common in Roxburghshire especially around 20sq miles of the Kelso area - which would include Maxton, Linton & Lilliesleaf. 

Lilliesleaf & Maxton are not that far apart as the crow flies and the back roads.

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the information 'terianne'. I've been researching my family history for about eight years. Nearly all England and Wales. Although I have had the odd baptism in the parish of the mother's parents, I've not come across anything on this scale over such a long period. Most of my lot walked to the nearest available church.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 17:25 GMT (UK) »
What dods/dodds are you researching

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 18:26 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Helen Dods the daughter of William Dods and Agnes White, baptised Lilliesleaf on the 11th September 1768. She probably married William Scott in about 1787, but I can find no record of this marriage. Apparently there are no existing marriage records for Lilliesleaf prior to 1817.

The Dods family lived in Reperlaw, Lilliesleaf.

Several years ago, I tried to identify the parents of William Dods, Agnes White, and William Scott. A total failure.

I have recently returned to the challenge but I am getting no more success. Even the alternative parish options are not providing a suitable baptism for William Dods.

I'm at that point in my family history research where all branches have reached a 'brick wall'.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 13:32 GMT (UK) »
have you tried the makerstoun area

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi 'terianne'. I've done lots of increasingly 'fuzzy' searches on ScotlandsPeople with the geographical limit just set to the county of Roxburgh. The data just isn't good enough to come to any conclusions with any degree of certainty. Not enough marriage and burial records. Without some other documentation such as a will or two, I'm knocking my head against a brick wall. I think that William Dods and Agnes White are the end of the line for me. Many thanks for your interest.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I live near lilliesleaf and makerstoun and know the area well, so I'll have a look for you locally - also try the research services of the Borders family history society and the local authorities heritage hub in Hawick (it's linked to register house and Scotlandspeople)

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 21:04 GMT (UK) »
That's very kind of you 'terianne'. Please don't spend too much of your valuable time on this. I don't think the necessary data is there. A gravestone inscription would be good, but not many readable gravestones survive from this early. I am registered with Borders FHS and do visit their website.