Author Topic: Lilliesleaf - Dods  (Read 3931 times)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lilliesleaf - Dods
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 November 16 13:28 GMT (UK) »
No there are far too many to be correct.  You don't need vouchers to look at the index now.  So you can probably look but I am in the archives at Borders FHS just now so if you give me a couple to look at I can check for you

Barbara

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 November 16 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I have just checked the original for an Ann Dods which the IGI has as being born Lilliesleaf, christened in Makerstoun in 1764 and living in Lilliesleaf. Parents Baillie Dods and mother Jannet Adamson.

The orginal has no mention of Lilliesleaf at all and Baillie Dods the father was miller at Makerstoun-mill.  I am pretty sure all these mixes of Lilliesleaf and Makerstoun are wrong just like the Linton ones.

Barbara Johnston
Borders FHS

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 November 16 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Barbara for establishing that these entries are incorrect. Very strange.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 November 16 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't discount it all together - I have cases over a couple of generations where children were christened in a different parish to their birth especially the eldest, because of a family connection ie maxton & ancrum parishes being christened in crailing & born in morebattle christened at cornhill eg my uncle was born in ancrum parish and christened in crailing - found out later that our family had very strong links in crailing

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 November 16 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi again 'terianne'. No, I won't be discounting the possibility that my Lillieleaf Dods might have been baptised elsewhere. I keep my mind open and flexible to all possibilities, though I suspect that I'm never going to identify the parents of William Dods or his wife, Agnes White.

Offline squirejay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 December 16 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I have Dods/Dodds in my tree.  The direct line is  to a James Dodds born in 1786 at Ednam, not Lilliesleaf, who married Alison McDougall in 1826 at Minto. some of their children were also born at Minto but also Denholm.
May not be connected but you never really know!
regards
Squirejay
GIBSON- Berwickshire(Coldingham, Edrom) & Northumberland(Berwick-upon-Tweed & Morpeth)
NAPIER in Edinburgh from 1700
ROBSON- Roxburgh(Kelso, Hawick & Jedburgh):~
DODS or DODDS Hawick, Kelso)
ELDERS (Hawick/Borders)
HOPPER- (Greenlaw and area)
KENNEDY- (Roxburghshire, Lillesleaf)
BLACK (Lanarkshire before 1861, Edinburgh after 1861 census )

Offline Carole A

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 06 January 22 20:55 GMT (UK) »
At the risk of confusing the issue re Dods/Adamson and Lilliesleaf: I have a strong suspicion that Janet Adamson, who married Baillie Dods in 1762, was born in Lilliesleaf to George Adamson and Janet Simpson, on 16 Dec 1734. That might provide some reason for the mention? In this family’s history, there is also a pattern of birth in Lilliesleaf and baptism in Makerstoun.

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 June 22 19:12 BST (UK) »
I think that is an error from the Latter Day Saints IGI, Carol  Nearly all the  Lilliesleaf christenings are supposed to be christened at Makestoun but there is no reason why that would be and there are too many for it to be correct.