Author Topic: Brixton Cemetery Johannesburg  (Read 4830 times)

Offline jaelma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brixton Cemetery Johannesburg
« on: Tuesday 01 November 16 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know how to search this cemetery for a grave. My grandfather, George Henry Burman Matthews, died in Johannesburg hospital on 22nd January 1917. He was buried in the New Cemetery, which I am told is now Brixton cemetery. Grateful for any help please 
Jacob
Matthews
Cormie
DeBasagoiti

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brixton Cemetery Johannesburg
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully the below will be of help to you.

Brixton Cemetery
Region B, Zone 4
Between Caroline and Bartlet streets, Brixton
Tel: (011) 839-3425
Email: braamfontein@jhbcityparks.com

Brixton Cemetery holds many war graves from throughout South Africa’s history. There is monument near the main entrance which commemorates the South Africans who died in the First World War. There is a second First World War monument in Main Drive, erected in memory of the South African Scottish Regiment.
Other famous people buried here include Randlord Lionel Phillips, who was buried in the early 1900s, as was his wife, Lady Florence, who established what became the Johannesburg Art Gallery. Sir George Albu, who established the mining house that became Billiton, is buried in Brixton.
Gandhi played a role in the building of the first Hindu crematorium in Johannesburg, and the first in Africa. In 1908, Gandhi negotiated with the town council to settle on Brixton Cemetery as a suitable plot for a crematorium. A wood-burning crematorium was built in 1918 and still stands, although a brick, gas-fired crematorium was built in 1956 which is still used.
Mary Fitzgerald, Johannesburg’s deputy mayor in 1915 and the person after whom the Mary Fitzgerald Square in Newtown is named, is also buried in Brixton.

Taken from the below website
http://www.jhbcityparks.com/index.php/cemeteries-contents-61/find-a-cemetery-contents-42#brixton

Send an email explaining what you are looking for and hopefully they will be able to tell you.  Be aware that you may be required to pay a fee for the information.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline jaelma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information. Janet
Jacob
Matthews
Cormie
DeBasagoiti

Offline shirl27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 November 16 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaelma

Here are details from the Brixton Burial Register 1910-1926

Page:   40
Name:    Mathews,  George
Sex:     M
Buried:     23 Jan 1917
Section:   Church of England
Grave No:   668
Remarks:  Plot reopen  668/9/70 plot  (& 756/7/8) Private

In a grave register it appears that there are 3 others buried in the plot that has the 2 numbers combined.
Baldock, Chas.
Bartlett, Earnest J
Bartlett, Sarah L

Shirley
BRAUN
REED
HARVEY
SANDERSON

Offline jaelma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 November 16 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Dear Shirley, thank you so much for your help. I am very grateful. Regards Janet
Jacob
Matthews
Cormie
DeBasagoiti

Offline jaelma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 November 16 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help. I will email the Cemetery and see if they have a plan of the Cemetery and can mark my grandfather's grave. I shall also ask them whether they can photograph the area.
I am unsure  why my grandfather George Henry Burman Matthews went to Johannesburg and I wondered whether if an obituary exists in a newspaper this could help me. Could anyone please tell me if there is a way of researching this online. As the previous post states he died o the 22nd January 1917 and was buried on the 23rd January 1917. Many thanks in anticipation of your help. Janet Matthews
Jacob
Matthews
Cormie
DeBasagoiti

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 07:17 GMT (UK) »
I see that his estate file is available.  Do you have it? If not pm me and I will download it for you.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline jaelma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Dear Nookie, I haven't really anything on my grandfather, so I would very much like to see what you have found. Regards Janet Matthews
Jacob
Matthews
Cormie
DeBasagoiti

Offline nimleon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Shirl27 and Nookie,

I am also searching for information relating to Brixton cemetery but am getting bouncebacks from the email address braamfontein@jhbcityparks.com.  Please can you tell me whether the Brixton burial register is available online as late as 1937?  I have looked for the burial register online but cannot find it.  I am seeking information about a man named Barnett SOLOMON(S) who died on 23 Dec 1937, aged 73.  I would also like to find his estate file but cannot find Transvaal estates listed on the NAAIRS database - am I missing something?

I would also like to find information about his wife Sarah SOLOMON(S), who was I believe buried at Westpark Cemetery after her death on 9 Jul 1952, aged 80.  Again I am receiving bouncebacks from the Westpark Cemetery email. I am hoping her estate file might be available too. 

I am new to SA research so any guidance would be very gratefully received.