Author Topic: Stanners/Stenhouse, Carriden  (Read 2353 times)

Offline ayrgenes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stanners/Stenhouse, Carriden
« on: Wednesday 02 November 16 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Trying to help a friend get to the bottom of a long term mystery.

Would be grateful if anyone can throw a light on why/when the name Stanners would suddenly become Stenhouse?

We are tracing a family and have James STANNERS marrying Margaret CRICHTON, June 1818 at Carriden. James' parents were George STANNERS/Elizabeth LECKIE.

Their first child appears to be Margaret Thomson STANNERS b. 1819, Carriden. BUT subsequent siblings have the name STENHOUSE, if we have the correct family.

George - b. 1821
Andrew - b. 1825
Elizabeth - b. 1826
William Dalzel - b. 1827, St Cuthberts, Edinburgh
James - b. 1831, St Cuthberts
Frederick John - b. 1835, St Cuthberts

Our particular interest is on Elizabeth STENHOUSE, who married William Burns, Nov 1849, Leith, d 1888 in Glasgow Poorhouse.

Here's hoping.....

Davie
Dempster - Glasgow, Muirkirk, Sorn, Ayrshire
McIntyre - Glasgow, Campsie
Hinde - Glasgow, Wolverhampton
McLintock - Glasgow, Kilmarnock,
McGlade - Rutherglen, Ireland
Kettlewell - Yorkshire

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stanners/Stenhouse, Carriden
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 November 16 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi George,

I think we maybe looking at different families. I found on LDS Family Search, a son, Hay Stanners born 21 Aug, 1772 baptised 23 Aug 1772 to parents George Stanners and Elizabeth Leckie, at Carriden, West Lothian, Scotland.

If James Stanners was born in 1831 to same parents, there is 59 years between brothers.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline ayrgenes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 November 16 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom

I too have a Ilay STANNERS b, 21 Aug 1772, Carriden- d, 23 Oct 1774. There is then another Elay STANNERS b, 18 Mar 1781, Carriden. Both to George Stanners and Elizabeth Leckie. They also have a son James b, 21 Oct 1787, Carriden.

This James then marries Margaret Crichton and has a son James Stenhouse, b 3 Jul 1830, St Cuthberts, E'burgh.

Depending on transcription I'm sure Ilay/Elay/Hay are one and the same.

This explains your 59 year gap. It is the same family, just different generations. It's this change of name, Stanners to Stenhouse, that's causing the problem just now.

Do you have STANNERS?

Davie

ps. just re-read original post, sorry I could have made it a bit clearer....James Stanners/Margaret Crichton's first child was Margaret Thomson Stanners but later siblings have the name Stenhouse. Any clearer??

pps. note to self don't post whilst watching football...........
Kettlewell - Yorkshire

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 November 16 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave ,

I meant two generations not families. Yes, Elay and Hay are both unusual names, not sure if they are the same person, would have to research more.

I still see the Stanners name in the Carriden until fairly recently. Not sure how you got the "Stenhouse" name into your research yet.

Tom

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 November 16 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Went onto Ancestry to do a bit of research, and seen a link between Stanners and Stanhouse (sic) on a members tree. Had a look at the tree, and no idea how they managed to get a link between the 2 names,

They have a Malcolm (IV) Stanhouse is the son of Malcolm (III) Stanners. Young Malcolm emigrated to the US, joined the Union Army, and was killed in action. I have tried to prove some of the things in this tree, but I am not going to waste anymore time.

Where are you seeing the change of surname. Can I see it?

Tom

PS I have seen other Stanner trees, that have changed their names to Stanhouse at a later date, as the different census have them as Stanner.

Offline ayrgenes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 November 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom
I've had a message from another RC, who found that when some Stanners arrived at Ellis Island they were registered as Stanhouse. We are assuming that with accents and literacy it's possible to 'hear'/write Stenhouse.

My own research is quite lenghty and complicated. I'll have to get my notes out and check but basically on one census the father is named as Stanners but the following one he becomes Stenhouse. As I mention the first child is named as a Stanners, but after that they all become Stenhouse. It would appear the change happens as the family move from one area to another. I also recall a book which details how names changed and these two names were mentioned, sadly forget book title.

I'm of the impression we won't ever find it documented anywhere but I'm sure it's not the first name to be changed over time. As I say will dig out my notes later.

D
Kettlewell - Yorkshire

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 November 16 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01it4/

There are some Stanners/Stanhouse queries dating back to 2001 on the link above. I have seen Stanners on census page as Stanner, but changed to Stanhouse on Ancestry pages, so possibly changed at Ellis Island, as you suggest. I think some have had records changed by LDS etc.

Tom

Offline ayrgenes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 November 16 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Tom

thanks for that link. I think we must have checked out all the links and posts over the years but never had a definitive answer. It looks like we are not the only ones chasing this name change.

Oh, if only they were around today to answer some questions!!!!!

D
Kettlewell - Yorkshire

Offline ellen525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 March 17 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I just registered at Rootschat, so first post.  I hope I am doing this correctly.
My grandmother Rachel Stanhouse was the daughter of Walter "Waddie" Stanhouse married to Rebecca Yancey.  The Stanhouse families lived in DuQuoin, Perry County, Illinois, USA area.
Birth 7 JUL 1856 • Carriden, Linlithgow, Scotland
Death 12 JUL 1909 • Paradise Coal Mine, Du Quoin, Perry, Illinois, USA
His parents were Malcolm Stanhouse/Stanners (b. 1817-) and Christiana Stanners (b.1817-), daughter of James Stanners and Catherine Kennedy.
Malcolm's parents were Malcolm Stanners (1781-) and Elizabeth Adamson (1781-1864).

I would like to know if anyone can help me verify death dates and other Stanners ancestors.  I think both Malcolm and Christiana share great grandparents Malcom Stanners (1716-) and Agnes Taylor (1722-).

Ellen