Author Topic: GLENDAY John -born 1822 Cupar died 1893 Surrey  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Dette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GLENDAY John -born 1822 Cupar died 1893 Surrey
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 November 16 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Annie,

The second two children are the son and daughter of John P Glenday (son of the John Glenday I'm trying to research).  Mary was 5 years old when she died and William was 6 months.  Their mother was a women called Francina Lawrence who John P married in 1870.  Francina died in 1873 two months before her son.  John P died in 1882.

Dette
Yorkshire - Auton, Thompson, Beckwith, Ingleby.
Buckinghamshire - Garner, Holland, Southam,.
Ireland - McIvor, McIver, Ryan, Dwan, Lenihan/Lenehan, Wallace.
India - Glenday.
France - La Bruniy
Australia - all of the above

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 November 16 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Was just about to post that, (father JP)? thanks.

Wondering now why John wasn't baptised or was the record lost?

Now wondering about mother Isabella, no children named after her, could she have been a 2nd wife?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 November 16 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Strange that 2 John Glenday's should both marry Francina's in India approx 30yrs apart.

Just found John and Ann still in Staffordshire in 1871 and 1881.  1881 they are mistranscribed as Gloudny on Ancestry

Must have moved to Sussex between 1881-1891

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 November 16 01:40 GMT (UK) »
William (born 7 Nov 1843 in Madras) (this may be my husband's ancestor)

Dette

Dette,

Which child of William (1843) do you think is the descendant?

Do you have a marriage/death for him with named father or any other info. to concentrate on finding out?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 November 16 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Carole,

The transcriptions on "Fancestry" are becoming a joke.

'Gloudny' - unreal!

Another one for the thread 'strangest mistranscriptions' or whatever it's called?

Annie

Offline Dette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 November 16 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,

My husband's line is as follows:
William Oliver Hathaway Glenday (born 1841?) married twice - second marriage produced son Bertram Oliver (b 1890 Calcutta) who is the father of Ralph Arnold (b 1918 Calcutta) who is the father of Beresford Arnold Ambrose (b 1941 Calcutta) who is the father of Mark (my husband) (b1968 in England)

William Oliver Hathaway Glenday gave his father's name as John on both of his marriages in Calcutta.  William worked as some sort of orderly at the hospital in Fort William which is above Calcutta.  He died in 1900 and his occupation was listed as apothecary.

Dette
Yorkshire - Auton, Thompson, Beckwith, Ingleby.
Buckinghamshire - Garner, Holland, Southam,.
Ireland - McIvor, McIver, Ryan, Dwan, Lenihan/Lenehan, Wallace.
India - Glenday.
France - La Bruniy
Australia - all of the above

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 03 November 16 02:09 GMT (UK) »
William Oliver Hathaway Glenday gave his father's name as John on both of his marriages in Calcutta.  William worked as some sort of orderly at the hospital in Fort William which is above Calcutta.  He died in 1900 and his occupation was listed as apothecary.

Dette,

Did the marriages or death state the occupation of father on either? or mother's name?

The middle names for William have me wondering to be honest.

From my point of view they don't match up with possible scottish surnames but it's only my thought for now.

John (if he was father) had quite a stance/status in the Army which I would have thought would have been recorded. I may be wrong but I'm sure someone with better knowledge will correct me on that?

Middle names such as yours, Oliver & Hathaway (to me) would be significant surnames of g/parents (female) 'usually'?

Have you looked for marriages with Glenday/Oliver or Glenday/Hathaway?

As I said, I may be wrong but it's what I've come across before although not always the case as people are also given middle names of others significant in their parents lives.

Annie

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 November 16 02:23 GMT (UK) »
There was only one family named Glenday in Cupar, Fife having children at the relevant time - father was indeed a John Glenday (as already mentioned) and 4 youngest children's baptisms are noted at Cupar as Glenday between 1830 and 1839 - mother Isabella Ireland.   There were 3 older daughters shown on 1851 census i.e. Ann bc.1824 - cannot find her baptism, Euphemia bc.1825 (found baptism 1825 on SP as Glendey) and Margaret bc.1827 (found baptisms 1826 as Glendy) who are shown as born in Cupar - cannot find baptisms for John or eldest dau. Ann.   The marriage between John and Isabella was as follows:

John Lundie Glenday married Isabella Ireland 11/8/1823 Edinburgh.

So, if John Glenday was indeed born 1822 this was before his parents married so his baptism may have been in his mothers name of Ireland (although I can't find it).

Are you sure that John was a widower when he married Anne?   If so, he had 2 sons named John - one born 1848 from 1st marriage and the other in 1862 from 2nd which seems rather odd???

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 November 16 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Annette,

That's why I'm asking Dette about her husband's direct ancestor as (to me), having gone through what you have now posted, I am wondering about the parentage of said John?

Likewise, I find an inconsistency there?

I'm wondering why all the research on someone who "(may be my husband's ancestor)" with no real pointer other than the name "John Glenday"?

I'm wondering what info. other than father's name can link John (born Cupar, Fife)?

Am I being picky?

Annie

Added, I did mention whether Isabella was a 2nd wife possibly?