Author Topic: Help to find a resource?  (Read 775 times)

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help to find a resource?
« on: Thursday 03 November 16 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.  I am trying to find out where I would get a look of the John Smith (alias Gow) manuscripts which I believe includes a list of some 300 people living in Tomintoul area in the early 1800's.  Can find a few references to it, but none mention how to find it?!
thanks in advance,

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help to find a resource?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 November 16 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if you have seen this, but the Gow manuscript is referred to at the end of the note (http://newsarch.rootsweb.com/th/read/SCT-STRATHNAIRN/2001-03/0985660764).

The original may be with the Scottish Records Office, with a transcript by the ANEFHS, in the Elgin Library.  A phone call to the library may provide you with the information you require.

Istrice

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I HAVE edited my profile - several times!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 16 09:15 GMT (UK) »
The Scottish Records Office has, in the interim, been renamed the National Records of Scotland. However I have not been able, so far, to find a listing of this MS in the NRS catalogue.

If ANESFHS provided a transcript to Elgin Library, would it be worth checking with ANESFHS? https://www.anesfhs.org.uk
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 November 16 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The attached reference, I think, is what you are after.  (http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/details.aspx?reference=RH2%2f8%2f88&st=1&tc=y&tl=n&tn=n&tp=n&k=tomintoul&ko=p&r=&ro=s&df=1872&dt=1873&di=y).

My apologies for the link length.

Regards

Istrice

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 November 16 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help!  Now I know where I can find the original in NRS, but I will also check with the Aberdeen Family history group (of which I am now a member).  Fingers crossed I can access the list and that it helps in my search.
Thanks again,
ali

Offline Periwinkled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 May 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
  Now I know where I can find the original in NRS, but I will also check with the Aberdeen Family history group (of which I am now a member).  Fingers crossed I can access the list and that it helps in my search.
Thanks again,
ali
[/quote]
Hi Ali, did you find a copy of the Gow MS which is more accessible please?