Author Topic: [REQ] Birth Lookup  (Read 5164 times)

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
[REQ] Birth Lookup
« on: Friday 04 November 16 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if anyone will be able to give me the information I'm looking for, but hoping to find the adoptive parents names of one Ernest Wheeler, middle name maybe Richard, apparently born on the 13th of June 1900.  The DOB was obtained from his Death entry on the Historical BMD website, so not sure how valid it is, and nothing comes up when I search the Births on the same site.

Have been in touch with Internal Affairs re the process involved in obtaining this persons pre-adoptive Birth Certificate, but wanted to research the adoption parents side as well.  Thanks in advance for any help  :)
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand
Oxley - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: [REQ] Birth Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 November 16 00:22 GMT (UK) »

Do you mean that you do not know the names of his birth and adoptive parents?

How do you know that he was adopted? Do you know his place of birth....NZ?

Do you have the death certificate?. Is there a marriage record for him in NZ?

I think that formal adoption records would not have existed in 1900?. If he was not raised by his parents, there might have been an informal arrangement for his care  ie no records to find.

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 16 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.  At this time, I am trying to obtain the names of his adoptive parents, not his biological parents.  Yes, he was apparently legally adopted, and yes, also born in New Zealand.

As I am doing this research for a friend, I have not obtained a Death Certificate or Marriage Certificate (which is available) as it is cost prohibitive at this time.

The "story" that was passed down through my friends father, son of Ernest Wheeler, was that he was orphaned, then adopted.
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 November 16 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tikva

Are you able to tell us the names of his biological parents ?

If for any reason you don't wish to name the parents in this thread, then you could send me a PM with their names.  I'm happy to look further for you.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 November 16 01:39 GMT (UK) »

.... one Ernest Wheeler, middle name maybe Richard, apparently born on the 13th of June 1900.  The DOB was obtained from his Death entry on the Historical BMD website, so not sure how valid it is, ....

Mmm ... just incidentally ... the only Ernest WHEELER showing on NZ Death index (online) with a birthyear c. 1900,  is
"Ernest Richard WHEELER" ... date of birth is given as "13 August 1900"   ???

Can't see an Ernest WHEELER with a d.o.b. "13 June 1900"   ???

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 November 16 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tikva

Can you also tell us please where this man lived ... his place of death etc. ? (There are a number of men on electoral rolls with same name).

~  Lu

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 November 16 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tikva

Are you able to tell us the names of his biological parents ?

If for any reason you don't wish to name the parents in this thread, then you could send me a PM with their names.  I'm happy to look further for you.

~  Lu

No - finding out that information is something my friend would like to do when she can afford it - well over $200 to do so.

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 November 16 01:47 GMT (UK) »

.... one Ernest Wheeler, middle name maybe Richard, apparently born on the 13th of June 1900.  The DOB was obtained from his Death entry on the Historical BMD website, so not sure how valid it is, ....

Mmm ... just incidentally ... the only Ernest WHEELER showing on NZ Death index (online) with a birthyear c. 1900,  is
"Ernest Richard WHEELER" ... date of birth is given as "13 August 1900"   ???

Can't see an Ernest WHEELER with a d.o.b. "13 June 1900"   ???

~  Lu

You are correct - sorry, not feeling too well right now and made an error.  His DOB is apparently 13 August 1900.  My apologies.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 November 16 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi ... just adding that I can't see anyone named Ernest Richard WHEELER on NZ electoral rolls ... there are though a number of "Ernest WHEELER's".

To help us help you, can you supply some further details please ... such as :

*  Where this man lived in New Zealand

*  The name of his spouse (wife)

*  Any idea of where he died ?

*  His occupation etc. etc.

~  Lu