Author Topic: Help identifying place of residence  (Read 1013 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help identifying place of residence
« on: Friday 04 November 16 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Is anyone able to help? The will of James Madock from 1792 (died 1807) is attributed to "The Will of James Madock of Trawsdreganol, Llanarthney", though I am not sure where this place name attribution comes from. Attached is an extract from his will in which states his place of residence, however this section is particularly unclear and I don't think the interpretation of Trawsdreganol is correct.

Other possible residences associated with Madocks are (spelling is best interpretation I can make, see images 2 and 3) are "Drawshen" (February 22 the wife of James Madog Drawshen?) and "Draustre genol" (Sep 21 (1804) Martha daughter of John Madock Draustre genol?). I am assuming both these residences are just different spelling of the same location and if we can establish the correct location, then this locationrather than Trawsdreganol is the correct residence for James in 1792.

From what I can work out. This section of the will says:

"Bequeath unto my Beloved Wife Martha Madock and my son Thomas Madock the lease granted me by John Vaughan Esquire of Golden Grove on the? ????? nt where I now live Called Diais???? genol in the said parish of Llanarthney and County of Carmarthen"

Hope the eagled eyed amongst you and with more local knowledge, particularly of the Goden Grove estate as it was, can correctly identify this place.

Regards

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying place of residence
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 November 16 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Googling john Vaughn Carmarthenshire suggests golden grove was near llandeilo, but could have been a large estate with isolated bits scattered around

Mike

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 16 16:36 GMT (UK) »
http://maps.nls.uk/view/102179555

Bottom right of this map is.  Trawsedre ganol, given the map is 60 years later I wonder if the D and T
have been misheard at some stage, the rest of the wording is so close as to make me wonder

Mike

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 November 16 16:46 GMT (UK) »
There is a Golden Grove Arms pub in llanarthne so it looks like the estate did spread this far

Mike

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 November 16 17:28 GMT (UK) »
http://maps.nls.uk/view/102179555

Bottom right of this map is.  Trawsedre ganol, given the map is 60 years later I wonder if the D and T
have been misheard at some stage, the rest of the wording is so close as to make me wonder

Mike

Thanks Mike. A strong contender. Looking again at the will excerpt with this knowledge I can definitely interpret the first 5 letters as Draws as the transcriber's r's aren't well defined and therefore look very similar to i's and his s's (see end in Thomas) look more like v's. Therefore the beginning of the residence in the will and 2 burial extracts could all be interpreted as Draws (or alternatively Traws)

Regards

Roy

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 November 16 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

Looks like you were right and the name has mutated over time from Drawsdre Canol to Trawsdre-ganol. Which ties everything together nicely.

Searching of google brought up this link http://carmants.org.uk/pdfs/cro.pdf which made reference to it in a map from 1786. I have attached a copy of the extract relevant to this property. It is  part of the Golden Grove Estate with Cawdor/Vaughan (assume John Vaughan as reference) which corresponds to the information from the will.

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 November 16 21:15 GMT (UK) »
I'm pleased it's all coming together, I spotted the other thread on this, which helped a bit, I had been looking east and west of llanarthne, but decided to go south as well.

Mike