Author Topic: Unread topics- anyone else?  (Read 1164 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Unread topics- anyone else?
« on: Saturday 05 November 16 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Not sure when it started (has been at least a few days) but I'm getting strange results in Unread Topics.

For example, this morning I logged in and started reading through topics of interest. One in particular I had previous posted in. After a while I clicked on Unread Topics again and that same topic was listed as Unread. I then opened it in a new tab and kept it open but it persists in being 'Unread'!

Also, if I click on 'Read All Topics' ones that I've replied to (and where I have been the last reply on the thread) are showing up just like above example.

Anyone else notice this?
Please do NOT ask for lookups by Personal Message.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Unread topics- anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 November 16 11:45 GMT (UK) »
No - it's all behaving normally for me at the moment.

Como le dijo el mosquito a la rana, "Mas vale morir en el vino que vivir en el agua"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 November 16 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Everything's working fine for me too. 

I tend to keep my unreads down to one page - I look down the list and only keep ones that might interest me. Others get deleted regularly.  I deleted  this morning just before 10  and my earliest is/was now showing as 09.52.   

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 November 16 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for both replies. Doesn't seem to matter what I do  :-\

Added- tried again to check. I read the replies on this topic and posted a reply. Then went to Unread Topics and it isn't showing, However, when I then click on All Unread Topics this topic shows as UNREAD!

Oh well, must just be a gremlin  ;D

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 November 16 12:26 GMT (UK) »

Must be a gremlin, all working as it should here ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 November 16 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Not quite the same thing put I often get New still showing beside county names after I've read all the threads in that county.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 November 16 22:29 GMT (UK) »

[ From the Unread Posts selection ]
After selecting, when you select/tick/mark as "read" you are not actually reading the post, just marking it as read and removing from the currently displayed list.
If you read or update a thread from that list then you have read an item from the currently displayed list so it is removed . . . . .

[ From the All Unread Posts selection ]
When you the select to view "All Unread Posts" then the ones you haven't read (as opposed to marked as read) [ or not updated ] will be displayed.

The "problem" ( if there is one ) is with the ( published definition of ) titles of the 2x different selections.

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You canít give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, [Ray], but it doesn't explain why the threads where I'm the last reply are coming up as Unread and most of all it doesn't explain why several threads that I did Read were coming up as Unread- finally clicked on Un-notify for them and they vanished from the Unread list!