Author Topic: REUNION 2017 - DESCENDANTS OF JOHN O'BRIEN AND DEBORAH CAHILL  (Read 3178 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: DESCENDANTS OF JOHN O'BRIEN AND DEBORAH CAHILL
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 November 16 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

May I mention that it is very likely that most of the couple's grandchildren were born less than 100 years ago, and that Queensland BDM has restricted access to the birth registrations for the first 100 years.   

https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/queryEntry.m?type=births and
https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/family-history-research/information-and-how-to-access-and-order-records/information-you-can-access/

Aghadowey's suggestion re Trove and Google is worth considering, alternatively it seems to me that you may need to spend many pennies on seeking out the death certs for the people you have named in anticipation that those records name their offspring:   

Edward 1885 - m 1913 Mary Ann Ahern - d 1963;
Joseph 1887 - m 1918 Lillian Jane Allen - d 1950:
Mary 1889 - m 1908 David Black Parsons - d 1959:
John Patrick 1890 - m 1917 Maud Fleming - d 1981:
William James 1891 - never married - d 1968:
Alexander Norman 1894 - m 1920 Lillian May Allenby - d 1989:
Sydney Smith 1899 - m 1923 Amy Beatrice Bell - d 1970.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 November 16 23:35 GMT (UK) »
QLBDM

Births
1913   C11800 Enid O'Brien   Edward Mary Ann Ahern
1916   C6551 Ursula O'Brien   Edward Mary Ahern   

Deaths
1979   B98977 Gerald Edwards O'Brien Edward O'Brien Mary Ann Ahern
1982   8814   Harold O'Brien Edward O'Brien Mary Ann Ahern
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline glove

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 November 16 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey and majm
Aghadowey, I realise what you were saying about the births and the spelling as heard when being recorded. However, through researching my father's side of my family, his great grandad was a military man and two of his children were born in Ireland whilst the family was stationed there but their births are registered in England not Ireland. So I do wonder if Deborah's birth was registered back in Ireland when the family returned as they were not in England very long. If this is the case then maybe just maybe her record was destroyed in the big fire of 1922.

I have tried putting in all kinds of spellings for her surname but to no avail. I did learn through my research that De-bor-ah is a very English way of spelling her name while the Irish use Deb-or-a.

majm, Yes I am aware that births are only recorded up to 1916, marriages up to 1943 and deaths up to 1981. Death certs are really good as they have a lot of information recorded on them. As for the great grandchildren of John and Deborah, I have quite a few names through marriages and the deaths of their parents being recorded on Trove (which do match with the names I have) and it is these children that I am trying to find. I should mention that my Aunt, who died just recently, and her niece (my cousin), still living, have been very helpful with the names of family members. As my Aunt was the last of the grandchildren, it is the great grandchildren that I am trying to contact as I will not put their name on here or anywhere as they are still living. My hope is that they see my post and recognise a person as being their grandad or grandma and will contact me through the site.

Once again I do appreciate the input that you have both provided.

Cheers from Jenny

Offline glove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 November 16 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamjar
That's for that - I have all of them as Edward and Mary Ann are my grandparents.

Cheers from Jenny

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 November 16 00:12 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if perhaps you would prefer to have your thread moved across to the “Events” board where it won’t be crowded out with us regulars expecting to help you search out deceased ancestors and confusing any of your living extended family members who happen to google their grandparents names to discover your thread mentioning a family re-union in 2017.

You can use the ‘report to moderator’ button to ask for it to be moved.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/for-sale-wanted-events/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline glove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 November 16 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi majm
I will take your suggestion as I was never interested in doing more research overseas on John and Deborah and their parents. I have been researching this for about 5 years now and no new records have come to light in that time other than the information contained in John and Deborah's childrens birth certs. As I say I am only after the descendants: I have quite a few of the grandchildren's names and the names of their spouses. I just thought that someone may recognise that a person from the list is their grandparents or someone from the Cahill side of the family recognises Deborah's name as I have quite a lot of information on her sisters and their families but nothing on the boys except that Daniel may have died young. For Deborah and her sisters I take the records as being correct as all the family folklores from their families are very much the same stories.

Thanks again for all your work: much appreciated.

Cheers from Jenny

Offline glove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 November 16 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi majm
I used the link but there is no button showing to 'report to moderator' - are you able to help me out with this

Cheers..............Jenny

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 November 16 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Okay  :)  I will report to moderator  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 November 16 02:50 GMT (UK) »
So I do wonder if Deborah's birth was registered back in Ireland when the family returned as they were not in England very long.
Cheers from Jenny

There was no civil registration of births in Ireland before 1864. 

No civil records or Catholic Church records were lost in 1922, only Church of Ireland registers.

You would need to look for a Catholic baptism in Hampshire.

Debra  :)