Author Topic: Help with William Donkin of York, born 1844  (Read 5636 times)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help with William Donkin in Newcastle
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 November 16 16:34 GMT (UK) »
George was born about 1870 and have found his mother Isabella died soon after in the same year. I have yet to find his birth..

Beth
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 05 November 16 16:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a William Donkin, a chain maker, on the 1871 census, born in Yorkshire, with a wife, Mary, and sons, George b 1870 and John, born in 1864. Also a daughter, Ann, b 1865.

In 1881, the William with Isabella is also a chain maker but older and unmarried.

Three matching chldren were born to a mother named Straker - Mary Jane Straker married William Donkin in 1862.

Might be worth looking at, given that the 1881 relationship details are a bit vague and the children probably from two different families.

David

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 05 November 16 16:47 GMT (UK) »
This is the census that made me confused, hence why I said their father was called William. I believe now that they are a different family, because I know George is related to the Forster's, as his son has Forster as his middle name. So I knew that I had the right William, but it was his brother George that was the father to the children.

I think George and his wife died young because in 1871 I found the children, the eldest 20, living without their parents, the next census they are living with Isabella, their aunt, and her family.

update - George died in 1869 and Isabella died in 1870, which is why their children are living on their own in 1871 with their aunt and her family in 1881.
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 04 December 16 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Update

MaureeninNY suggested they were listed under DUNCAN in 1841 census. I think this is right, they all seem to be born around the right years and now I have their mother's name. Thanks!

Beth

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with finding George Donkin (b. 1870) 1901 census?

He is married to Hannah Mary Armstrong and children George William, Robert and John Forster Donkin.

Also, I overlooked one thing... that his father died in 1869 and mother in 1870  :-\ and now I am stuck. There is a seven year gap between George and the youngest son, so George must have other parents.

I have the right George Donkin in 1881, where he is living with his uncle and aunt, Robert and Isabella (nee Donkin) Forster. I thought George's dad was Isabella's brother, George, but obviously not. The only other possibility is William Donkin, Isabella's other brother, but he never married.

I know this sounds confusing but any help is appreciated.

Beth

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Beth,

Quote;
He is married to Hannah Mary Armstrong.

Dont  you mean Laing?

John Forster Donkins Birth Reg has Mothers mn as Laing

Marriage;
13 January 1892, St Andrew, Newcastle, England
George DONKIN, Father WILLIAM
Mary Hannah LAING, Father WILLIAM
(Familysearch.Org)

As you know Hannah Mary Donkin and 3 Children are with her Parents.

George must be away working but havent found him 1901 Census either.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 16:50 BST (UK) »
I found that Hannah Mary was illegitimate, her birth name is Hannah Mary Armstrong. Her mother married William Laing when she was still quite young.

Also, I looked for Hannah and George's marriage, and says his father is William. So there are two possibilities: William (unmarried brother of George and Isabella) had a son, or the 1871 census before mentioned with a William and Mary Donkin. However, that William Donkin was born in Yorkshire, and as George was definitely living with his aunt and uncle in 1881, who were born in Newcastle/Durham, I think it can be ruled out.   ??? ???

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Beth.

Its a really complicated one. If William was his Father and never married Georges Mother the Birth would be reg under her name.

But as George says he is born c 1870 where is he in 1871 Census also ???
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 17:57 BST (UK) »
That's true, I didn't think of that! One thing I know is that Robert and Isabella Forster are definitely George's aunt and uncle (George named one of his sons John Forster Donkin, unless a coincidence), therefore his father, William, is Isabella's brother. But he has never been married, as it says on the censuses...