Author Topic: Help with William Donkin of York, born 1844  (Read 5691 times)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help with William Donkin of York, born 1844
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 03 September 17 23:30 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find any information on William Donkin (b. around 1844 in York).

In 1871 he is married to Mary Jane nee Straker and is living with their children John, Ann and George in Northumberland.

This is the only census I can find for him. His wife died in 1872 and cannot find any of their children except George (b. 1870).

There is a possible William Donkin born in South Cave around 1844, but this one's wife is called Esther, and by the look of it, he seemed to have lived in South Cave all his life.

There is also a William Donkin b. 1847 in the city of York. I followed this up but is not who I'm looking for, as this William was born in Acomb and lived in York his entire life.

I posted about William Donkin before and seemed to have gotten further but have hit a dead end again.

Also, I forgot to mention the 1881 census where George is living with his aunt and uncle, but I still need to find the connection, as I don't know who William's father is.
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help with William Donkin of York, born 1844
« Reply #28 on: Monday 04 September 17 00:13 BST (UK) »
According to previous thread marriage was 1862.  Have you purchased a copy of his marriage cert to see if he names a father?

There is a 3 page thread about this family and in view of the various complexities it may be best to merge this one with it for continuity.

topics merged
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 07 September 17 08:49 BST (UK) »
This may be a total red herring but found a baptism for William Duncan in the register for St Mary Bishophill Jun, York, however the surname was crossed through and may originally have said DONKIN - see what you think.

This William was b, 4 Jul 1843 bap. 8 Oct 1843 son of George and Ann of Grey's Building, Engineer.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 08 September 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pinetree, it looks very promising! I'll have a look. Two of William's children are called George and Ann so is entirely possible.
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)