Author Topic: Glover Gardner marriage Cross Canonby 1851  (Read 3588 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glover Gardner marriage Cross Canonby 1851
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 November 16 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Trish1120
Thank you. I have the census details for the Glovers in Canonby Cross and I believe this is my Mary's family. The census returns for Richard Gardner and Mary show her born in Dearham. The Liverpool Huddart Glover marriage is a different couple I believe, they are in Liverpool in 1851(HO 107/2184/10/186. The GRO index shows two children James 1854 Q4 Lancaster 8E 469 and John 1862 Q1 Lancaster 8E 610 both with MMN Glover. I cannot find daughter Ann born 1852 Morecambe Lancs.
I am fairly sure Mary was a Glover who had an illegitimate child, possibly with a Joseph Huddart. The family biographies I have state she was a widow, born a McKenzie in Perth and married to a customs officer from Maryport who drowned. I want to check this lady out as thoroughly as I can because the descendants of this Gardner family have long believed they have Scottish roots via her. I am now even more sure that the widow story was a cover-up for her illegitimate child Mary Jane Huddart.
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
Trish1120, I apologise if I came across badly in that last post. Your Liverpool marriage is indeed the same Mary Glover I believe. Hopefully I've managed to post her signature from both marriage registers.
I also found a newspaper article of a trial in which she acts as witness for my ggg grandfather, six weeks before they were married. She is described as Mary Huddart, a widow.
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 10:52 BST (UK) »
Aah very interesting. No need to apologise :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
Scottish connection?

Name:Richard Baxter Gardner
Birth Date: 27 Sep 1857
Birth Place: Annan, Dumfries, Scotland
Father: Richard Gardner
Mother:Mary Glover

I hadnt followed Mary up in Census after 1851 until now.
(you probably have all of this)

1871 Census
Morecombe, Lancs
Richard Gardner, 50
Mary Gardner, 50, born Maryport, Cumberland
James Gardner, 16
Richard S Gardner, 13, born Scotland
John Gardner, 9
Mary A Gardner, 2, Granddaughter

1861 in Lancs
Mary Gardner, 37
Mary Jane Huddart, 15
Anne Gardner, 9
James Gardner, 6
Richard William Gardner, 3
This Census has James born Scotland and Richard in Lancs!

GARDNER, JAMES , Mothers mn   GLOVER****
GRO Reference: 1854  D Quarter in LANCASTER  Volume 08E  Page 469

GARNER, ANN , Mothers mn GLOVER ***
GRO Reference: 1851  S Quarter in COCKERMOUTH  Volume 25  Page 117

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
I dont have access to  to Richard/Marys Marriage.

Can you tell me their Fathers names/occp's please.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 15:19 BST (UK) »
Richard and Mary married at Gretna Green. (Parents were James Glover, clerk/shipwright and Richard Gardner, fisherman/husbandman) Richard was a fisherman from Poulton-le-Sands (now Morecambe) Families regularly sailed to fish at other ports in the area, staying for several months or even a few years. My great great grandfather (Richard William Baxter Gardner) was born in Annan for this reason, the family moved back to Morecambe when he was a few years old.
All the evidence for Mary points to her being a Glover born in Dearham/Maryport/Ellenborough. I have no idea where my grandfather got the idea she was a McKenzie from Perth. He seems to have been correct about her being a widowed grocer from Maryport though!
You found Ann Gardners' birth registration, thanks I hadn't managed that yet!
I do have Mary on census right through to 1911 where she is listed as Mary Glover Gardner, living with her grandaughter Mary Ann Sear.
My mum thinks her father 'embellished his version of the family history in order to resolve his personal queries and wishes! An example is that he writes that he was named (he was Wilton) after a town in Wiltshire which was the origin of another family branch. I have traced said family back about six generations with some certainty and they are all very much Lancashire based. I think he was named after Mary Glovers' younger brother Wilton, who seems to be a bit of character.
Thanks for your interest and help

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
Your welcome cristeen. It all seems to add up to me. I have one of those Family stories also ;D

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 16:06 BST (UK) »
It has certainly given me a bit more 'flesh' for that family's page in my written history :)