Author Topic: O'Briens of Staffs  (Read 2053 times)

Offline peterpiper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
O'Briens of Staffs
« on: Sunday 24 July 05 19:51 BST (UK) »
Looking to contact anybody researching O'Brien family in Burslem area of Staffs.
Peter (head) Margaret (wife) and Peter (son) in 1871 grow to Peter, Margaret and 8 children in 1901, of which 1 son married with his own son
peter
O'Brien, Staffs & Ireland: Jarvis, Gorman,W.Yorks.& Mars
Hatto, Yorks & Berks. Thomas, Derbs. & Yorks.

Offline yely99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Briens of Staffs
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 16 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I just discovered this site and this request via Google - imagine my surprise as the gentleman under discussion I have learned is my great grandfather. (My grandmother is Catherine i.e. "Kate")

Do you (or anyone) have any information on his parents and arriving in Burslem from Ireland ?

Offline peterpiper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 February 16 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Wow!!! what a surprise to receive notification of this reply after so long!
Sorry to say, my notes on Peter are:-
Father: Harry.
Place: Ireland (Roscommon)
D.O.B. (pure guess, 1820)

I know this isn't much help, but it's all I managed to dig up, other records may now be available, but
haven't checked for ages.
If I can help in any other way, please don't hesitate to ask
Good luck
pete

Offline yely99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Pete ... was Harry the result of your enquiries, or family knowledge ?

I have some background on the Carty's if you are interested ...

Offline peterpiper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Yely,   can't remember where the info on Harry came from, most of my research was done in the local Library and by searching a set of c.d's I bought, but loads of help came from Rootschat members, in fact, your query lead me to discover today a reply posted in 2006, to a request I made in 2004, so it looks like me  resuming the search (oh what have you done!!!!!!!!!).
Will sort out my Carty records and let you know what I have and if there's any more I need, thanks for the offer
pete

Offline yely99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 April 16 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter ... thought you might be interested in the following (if you didn't already know it) which I put together for my brothers:

Generation 5 – the Harry O’Brien (18??) Household

We have no information about Harry, other than he was an Irish Agricultural Labourer.

(I did find a Henry O’Brien, Coal Miner, in Chester-le-Sreet, Durham who had an Irish son Peter of the right age; but Peter turned up in 1881 also a Coal Miner, in Chester-le-Sreet, Durham).

However, “our” Peter O’Brien had his cousin “Patsy Obrien” and family staying at Burslem at the 1881 Census. “Patsy” was a Bricklayer and his wife Susan a French Polisher. Their ages were given as 25 and 24, with PoB Burslem,Staffs and Worcester, Worcestershire respectively. Their daughter Elizabeth aged two was born in Birmingham, Warwickshire. This enabled me to find Susan and Elizabeth in 1891 staying with Susan’s sisters Martha Elizabeth Cox and Emma Hart, together with niece Mary Ann Cox.

In turn this lead to the DoM of 9/6/1878 between Susan Cox (18, DoB 1859Q4) and Joseph O’Brian (full age) at St Jude, Birmingham, Warwickshire. (Fathers were Martin O’Brian and Thomas Cox). The Thomas Cox h/h confirmed the details of Susan’s sisters and occupation – Thomas himself was a Tailor of Bromsgrove, Worcestershire. By 1881 he had moved to Lr Hurst St in Birmingham, died in 1886Q4; Lower Hurst St was where I found the Cox girls in 1891. (Cox shows as Coy in some transcripts).

Susan had 3 children: Elizabeth May O’Brian (DoB 1879Q2), Nellie O’Brien (1881Q4) and Annie O’Brien (1886Q1) all in Birmingham. Joseph O’Brian never appeared in any Census, but DoD in 1908Q1 in Aston Warwickshire is consistent with Susan indicating a Widowed status in 1911.

Martin O’Brien married Lucy Porta in 1856Q2 in Birmingham; in 1861 an Irish Bricklayers Labourer (40) and Lucy (26) show up as (surname) “Brian” in the census (Martin A Brian) in Church St, Birmingham. Martin O’Brien age 46 dies in 1869Q2 (Birmingham) and in 1871 Lucy O’Brien is a 36yo, Widowed, Tin Polisher, boarding with John Bowcott’s h/h in Birmingham with Lucy (9, 1861Q2) and Louisa O’Brien (1, 1869Q4). (In 1851 an umarried Irish Labourer, Martin Obrian, 27, was a visitor in the h/h of James King, St George Warwickshire). I can find no birth reference to Joseph O’Brien, but a Patrick O’Brian birth is registered in Birmingham 1856Q1.

Maybe Martin O’Brien is Harry O’Brien’s brother ??

Cheers, Chris

Offline peterpiper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 April 16 19:17 BST (UK) »
Wow Chris,  thanks for the info, plenty to go through.  At the moment I'm having to wade through a pile of stuff for my Wife and her Sister, so might not be able to get round to this lot for a week or two, will let you know if I find anything,
once again, Thank you
pete

Offline peterpiper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 April 16 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hya!  Chris, here's my offerings.
1871 census, 47, Bournes Bank, Burslem,
O'Brine  Peter        head  age 27   Labourer
        "             Margaret   wife   age 21
       "              Patrick      son    age 11 m
Birth cert for Patrick says O'Brian not O'Brine.

1881 census,71 Church St. have Patsy & co. also Betsy/Patsy Son, am surmising this is Patrick as shown on 1871 and 1891, but on 1901 has his own family at 29, Reid St. consisting of Annie, (Dulson) wife and son James, (about 1892) 1911 shows no more family.

Following on from James(1892) gives James(1913) me(1937) and my family.

On the marriage cert between Patrick and Annie Dulson his residence is Union St. profession is potters placer, Father is Peter O'Brian (labourer), BUT, his name is given as Joseph Patrick, so, ???

This is the track I have been following and you are the only one, so far, to have made a positive connection.

My next job is going to be tracing families of all the offspring on the census forms.

Catch you later,
pete
ps. hope some of this has made sense.

Offline yely99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 April 16 10:07 BST (UK) »
Pete - thanks for that ...

I have some of the Census data summarised ... is there any way I can attach a pdf file to a reply ?
(it contains some non-text data, so I can't just paste it in the forum - the tables get unformatted )

Chris B