Author Topic: Will of Staff Sa!rgeant Job TAYLOR- a big ask  (Read 2144 times)

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will of Staff Sa!rgeant Job TAYLOR- a big ask
« on: Sunday 06 November 16 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi people

I've found a will of my 4g grandfather Job TAYLOR, made while he was (presumably dying) with the Royal Artillery in Lisbon in November 1812.  I might make a couple of posts as its a fairly long one.

For the first bits I have :

"Know all Men (then?) by those (present?) …..& Job Taylor Staff Sar… in the Corps of Royal Artillery Drivers…of the Parish of Earl Shilton in the County of Leicestershire do ? and appoint my (true?) and lawful wife (Lucy?) Taylor to be my sole (heir ?) and Executrix….of my property both….chattels…every thing…may at that (time?)..of the above (Lucy?) Taylor will be good enough to perform as following …first to pay all debts ..by my poor (Gran?) Mother to..in Earl Shilton or in any other place provided they are ……to give my ..Sister …(the said Lucy? Taylor) may think proper but it must not ..the sum given to my brothers that is twenty pounds & so appoint Staff Sarjeant (?) William Pillon (?) as an Assistant to my beloved wife in settling my ….immediately on my (passing?)  ..to my dearly beloved wife to discharge all… as soon as possible & directly after to make a widow’s will….property…may at that time ..."

NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Staff Sa!rgeant Job TAYLOR- a big ask
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 November 16 03:44 GMT (UK) »
The first half:
Know all men by these presents that I Job Taylor staff Sargeant in the Corps of Royal Artillery Drivers & of the parish of Earls Shilton in the County of Leicestershire do constitute & appoint my true & lawful wife Lucy Taylor to be my sole heir & executrix as my servant(?) to the whole of my property both funded(?) cash bonds chattels comprehending every thing we may at that time be possessed of the above Lucy Taylor will be good enough to perform the following requests(?): First, to pay all debts contracted by my poor dear Mother previous to her death in Earls Shilton or in any other place provided they are proved correct; Second, to give my Mothers ____ & Richard twenty pounds each & to my Sister Eleanor what she (the said Lucy Taylor) may think proper but it must not exceed the sum given to my mother, that is twenty pounds; 3rd....

Steve

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 November 16 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Great stuff Steve!

I can add a bit more to your effort..

The first half:
Know all men by these presents that I Job Taylor staff Sargeant in the Corps of Royal Artillery Drivers & of the parish of Earls Shilton in the County of Leicestershire do constitute & appoint my true & lawful wife Lucy Taylor to be my sole heir & executrix as my servant(?) to the whole of my property both funded(?) cash bonds chattels comprehending every thing we may at that time be possessed of the above Lucy Taylor will be good enough to perform the following requests(?): First, to pay all debts contracted by my poor dear Mother previous to her death in Earls Shilton or in any other place provided they are proved correct; Second, to give my Brothers James & Richard twenty pounds each & to my Sister Eleanor what she (the said Lucy Taylor) may think proper but it must not exceed the sum given to my brothers that is twenty pounds; 3rd...
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 November 16 04:04 GMT (UK) »
The next bit is really hard...

that in …?.. death in this Country Portugal … and so appoint Staff Sarjeant (?) William Pillon (?) as an Assistant to my beloved wife in settling my ..may be able to….immediately on my (passing?)  ..to my dearly beloved wife to discharge all… as soon as possible & directly after to make a widow’s will….property…may at that time

J. Taylor Staff Sargeant R.A Drivers (?) Witness to the Signature Will’m Pillon (?) Staff Surgeon  ? Sanderson Staff Surgeon

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 November 16 04:07 GMT (UK) »
One correction to my first reply:
It should read "executrix at my decease" not "as my servant"

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 November 16 04:12 GMT (UK) »
And the last bit, referring to the approval of the will in 1815....

"On the 26th April 1815  (wife will..?) of the goods… of Job Taylor late staff or Quarter Master Sarjeant in His Maj Corps of Royal Artillery Drivers was granted … Taylor & Eleanor Taylor  Baillie (?) wife of Ensign (?) Ballieu the bro & sister & two of the next of kin of ?? being first born only to ? Lucy Taylor (the wife of ??) …..in his lifetime (or by Acts of Court approval?)"

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 November 16 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Items 3 and 4.

...3. that in case of my death in this Country =
Portugal I wish & do appoint Staff Surgeant William [Pilton?] as
an Assistant to my beloved Wife in settling my Accounts & getting
my Business righted that she may be able the sooner to proceed
to England ffourth - That immediately on my decease ^[?]^ I recommend ^it^ to
my dearly beloved Wife to discharge all Legacies as soon as
possible & directly after to make a widow's will securing the property
we may then have in the ffunds or in such [manner?] as she
may at that time think best but I recommend it to her to let her
ffather & Mother (if then living) have the Interest of one thousand
pounds in the ffunds during their lives which I hereby engage [to?]
do myself in case of my dear wife's demise before me...

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 November 16 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Probate section:

On the 26th April 1815 adm(inistratio)n (with will ann(exed)?) of the Goods &c of Job Taylor
late Staff or Quarter Master Serjeant in his Majs Corps of Royal Artillery
Drivers at Sea deced was granted James Taylor & Eleanor Taylor Baillie
(Wife of Jno Baillie) the Bro(the)r & Sister & two of the next of kin of sd deceased
being first sworn duly to adm(iniste)r Lucy Taylor (the wife of the sd deced) ^the^ sole Ex(ecu)trix
& Residuary Legatee dying in his life time (as by acts of Court appear)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 November 16 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Looking back at Steve's reply #1, I agree with ffunded and requests.

ADDED: 

Regarding the signatures and witnesses, I fairly sure the flat-looking H is how the PCC copyists indicated a testator or witness who made a mark.

Sanderson's initial is possibly a G?