Author Topic: Border shepherds in North of Scotland  (Read 3257 times)

Offline JenNZL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Border shepherds in North of Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 March 17 00:22 GMT (UK) »

I am particularly interested in the family of William Turnbull and Eleanor Robson and have traced some of their children born up there (1807-1825) although there is some confused info on the internet which includes a few red herrings I think. If anyone has any information on this line (other than baptisms of children) I would love to have it. Some of the children remained up there (after the parents returned to Northumberland with the other children) and eventually emigrated to USA.

Thanks again for your help.
Val

Hi there,

I realise this is an old post but I stumbled across it during my online genealogy research and wondered if you had found anything further regarding William Turnbull & Eleanor Robson? In particular, I'd love to find out more about Isabella Turnbull, (date and place of birth varies depending on census - from 1811-1816, birth shown variously as Sutherlandshire / Sprouston / NK / Scotland "out of county")

I'm not sure if my Isabella is the one who sometimes turns up in lists of William and Eleanor's children on the family trees of other people (with no supporting documentation, however). My Isabella Turnbull married James Wilson in Kelso, 1836. A couple of old scanned letters on the Turnbull family website seem to indicate an Isabelle who married a James Wellson (sp?) but there's no evidence listed.

I have found no documentary evidence of this link, so it's just a hunch really, as none of the other trees on which I have found this information have any supporting sources. I'd really love to be able to substantiate it, as my gut feeling is that she's the same woman. The names of Isabella and James's children (if named after the traditional patterns) would suggest that William / Eleanor are possible parents (children in order are: Eleanor, Robert, Margaret, MaryAnn, William, Isabel) - and the 1851 census suggests that there was an unmarried daughter of William / Eleanor called Mary Ann (possible sister to Isabella?) However, it's all conjecture - I can find no birth record for Isabella Turnbull, the marriage record for James Wilson / Isabella lists no parents, and I can't find any death information for her either.

The only other little breadcrumb I have is that amongst my great grandfather's things was an old carte de visite photograph that we've guesstimated was taken in about 1862-63. It's a picture of an old man, and on the back is written "The Laird of Bimmerhill". Now, as best I can tell from poll books etc, Bimmerhill in Northumberland was owned by Robsons. I can't imagine why my family would have an old photo like that if there wasn't some family connection, but maybe I'm following a red herring.

Anyway - long and convoluted message, sorry. If you have any link to my Isabella Turnbull in your Turnbull / Robson line I'd love to hear it - she has me stumped :-)

Cheers,
Jen

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Border shepherds in North of Scotland
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 02:40 BST (UK) »
I have sent you a PM. More to follow!
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)