Author Topic: John WATERFIELD, born c1832, Ruddington (??)  (Read 1110 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John WATERFIELD, born c1832, Ruddington (??)
« on: Sunday 06 November 16 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

His trial on the 22/07/1848 indicated John WATERFIELD was "late of Ruddington", Nottingham, and in later prison documentation he mentioned his next-of-kin was "Nottingham".   In the 1851 England Census his Millbank Prison entry says his native place is Leicester:  HO107/1479/991, p.8.  He was eventually discharged on early release on 01/08/1857 and, I believe, did not re-offend.

One of the only references I can retrieve is Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 (England) which indicates a John WATERFIELD was born on 05/08/1832 at Barrow upon Soar, Leicestershire, in quite close proximity to Ruddington.  The only other possible reference is the 1881 England Census:RG11/3144/44, p.19. Can anyone help please with a greater, validated profile for him ??? ???

Thank you and for the moment,

BAC3

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John WATERFIELD, born c1832, Ruddington (??)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 November 16 02:57 GMT (UK) »
I can't quite get what the situation is here - are you trying to work forward from the prisoner in 1851 or trying to work backwards from a John Waterfield in census (the 1881 you refer to??).

Going from the information that at the time John Waterfield was imprisoned he is shown as bc.1832 Leicester, Leicestershire, that he was late of Nottinghamshire and that his next of kin is in Nottinghamshire I've found one family that seem to fit the criteria.

In 1841 Census - St. Mary, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

Mary Waterfield 53
Hannah Waterfield 22
Eliza Waterfield 12
Mary Waterfield 11
John Waterfield 9      - all are shown as not born in county

also in 1841 Census - in Leicester Boro' House of Correction

John Waterfield  50      Framework Knitter     born in county

I can't locate John senior and Mary in 1851 but in 1861 - 33 Earl Street, Nottingham:

John Waterfield  75    Frame Work Knitter     born Coleorton, Leicestershire
Mary Waterfield  75                                     born Woodhouse, Leicestershire

I'm sure the couple on 1861 census are the John and Mary I found in 1841.

In June quarter of 1850 Nottingham both a Hannah Waterfield and an Eliza Waterfield married.   Through a process of elimination it seems that Hannah married a Thomas Grumble (transcribed as Trumble on 1851 census) and Eliza married a John Tatton (shown as Tutton on 1851 census).

Hannah's birthplace is given as Woodhouse Eaves ca.1819 (her mothers birthplace) and Eliza's birthplace on census is Leicester or Leicestershire.

Bearing in mind the 10 year gap in children on 1841 census i.e. Hannah ca.1819 and Eliza bc.1829 I wonder if Mary was a 2nd wife and that Hannah may have been from an earlier marriage of John.

I've found 3 possible marriages in Leicestershire for a John Waterfield to a Mary:

Mary Thurman 26/11/1816 Loughborough
Mary Cramp 9/2/1824 Leicester
Mary Hudson 19/6/1825 Woodhouse, Leicester

I feel sure this is the family that the indicted John Waterfield belonged to - I can find baptisms in St. Margaret, Leicester for Eliza (1828) and Mary Ann (1829) but can't see one there for John himself.

With his family in Nottinghamshire I can't believe that John would have returned to live in Leicestershire - one would expect him to return to Nottinghamshire or remain in London.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 November 16 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Annette,

Thank you for all the research and hard work.   I am extremely grateful as the details are more than helpful in the elimination approach.

My main concern is to find a central personal validation, such as native place, parents etc.,  from which a total profile for John WATERFIELD can be developed.   But there are so many contradictions......in one document he says native place Nottingham in another Leicester.  I have two specific places "on which to hang my hat", Ruddington and Sneinton, both of which are mentioned in newspaper reports of his committal/trial.   On the other hand there are a huge number of Public Member Trees for a "John WATERFIELD", but, sadly, they contain no real link.

I shall keep fossicking and will ask the Nottingham Record Office if they have a Calendar of Prisoners or similar docments that can be researched. ::)

BAC3

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 November 16 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bac3

I don't think it's the one born in 1832 in Barrow upon Soar.  He can be tracked back to 1841 and in 1851 is living with his parents in Loughborough occupation Wheelright in all censuses.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 November 16 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks sunflower,

I had my doubts about Barrow upon Soar as, for some unknown reason, his occuptation "wheelwright" seemed too technical for the convict John WATERFIELD I "know".

Anyway, another possibility eliminated? 8)

Tony

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I've looked on the FHS CD for baptisms of a John Waterfield but can't see any in 1832 +/- 2 years. There were Waterfields in Sneinton, but the earliest baptism there was 1854. There are no Waterfield baptisms recorded in Ruddington.

Neither can I see any suitable baptisms in the right sort of year in the Leicester town churches.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 21:12 GMT (UK) »

The elusive Mr WATERFIELD ???

I missed a call from the Nottingham Record Office today who promised to look at the criminal records they hold to check whether or not any mention is made of his family etc.  I will return the call tomorrow and post developments.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I have received the following reply to my enquiry to the Nottingham Record Office about family details etc. for John WATERFIELD but, sadly, nothing was found in the records except confirmation about "Ruddington".   I am reluctant to approach TNA because of the exorbitant research fees that they will inevitably raise:

Thank you for your email of 9 November, 2016.
We have checked our Transportation Index but unfortunately we have been unable to find a reference to John Waterfield.
The index lists the names of those tried at the Nottingham Borough Quarter Sessions and the County Quarter Sessions.
A publication by the Nottinghamshire Family History Society entitled “Across the Ocean Wide: an index of those persons sentenced to Transportation in Nottinghamshire 1784-1867.” There is a reference to a John Waterfield for 24 July 1848, Age 17, Sentence 10 yrs, Ruddington, but the trial was at the Nottingham Assize Court. Unfortunately, we do not hold records for the Assize Court as surviving documents are held at the National Archives at Kew. Please see their website for further details – www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
If you do wish to search the Quarter Session records we hold you will require the following references
Ref: CA/373 Nottingham Borough, Dec 1838-Sep 1852
Ref: C/QSM/1/45 Nottingham County, 13 Oct 1845-30 Dec 1850
Details about visiting can be found on our website, address below.]
We are sorry that we have been unable to be more helpful.

Thank you for all your help on this thread.

BAC3