Author Topic: Irish Ancestors from County Down  (Read 2718 times)

Offline jmackenzieNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Irish Ancestors from County Down
« on: Monday 07 November 16 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can help with ideas for searching for Irish Ancestry or with records themselves. I presume that many people are having issues searching as a lot of the Irish census records have been destroyed and I'm finding other Irish records to be less available than English, Welsh, Scottish and New Zealand records.

I'm searching for information on a husband and wife, John Rea and Mary Jane Rea nee Shannon.

What I've found so far, a Belfast Newsletter (dated 17th January 1840) a marriage notice (attached). 15th January 1840 - Mr. John Rea, of Castlenaven (County Down), to Mary Jane, only daughter of Mr. John Shannon, of Drumalig (County Down). -- So I know that date they married and also Mary Jane's Father is named John Shannon.

Also attached, is a screen clipping from the RootsWeb Ros Davies page - John Rea husband of Mary Jane Shannon; father of John MY DIRECT ANCESTOR, who ended up in New Zealand bpt. 6 Aug 1850 & James bpt. 30 Jan 1853 & Elizabeth bpt. 30 May 1858 & Sarah bpt. 20 May 1860 & Agnes bpt. 24 Jun 1862 at Killaney Presbyterian Church.
Killaney (County Down) not to be confused with Killarney. So from this information I have their children's names and baptism dates. I link my ancestor John Rea as John and Mary Jane's son by his second New Zealand marriage and have attached the marriage certificate clipping, please note that the spelling of his surname has changed to Rae on this certificate, on his first marriage certificate it was spelt Rea.

The last attachment I have attached is a possible Will of John Shannon, Mary Jane's Father. It is a strong possibility this is the same John Shannon as it says he was from Drumalig in County Down. Died 4th August 1858 with two Executors, Samuel Shannon (son?) and John Gibson (son-in-law?).

Thank you for reading, I have been searching this line of my family tree for years and it has been the most unproductive, however the most intriguing. Anything you can help me with?

Many thanks, James Mackenzie

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Ancestors from County Down
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 November 16 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen John Shannon's Will ? See http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearchImage.aspx?id=153694

(start half way down the page and continue to the next page). It mentions John Rea.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jmackenzieNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 November 16 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ,

No, I hadn't found this before! Very helpful. So it confirms that "that" John Shannon is John Rea's Father-in-law.
I'll have to use this website to search for John Rea's Will as well.
Time to study it carefully and try to transcribe it.

Much appreciated.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 November 16 07:57 GMT (UK) »
In 1828, the tithes show 2 Rea farms in Castlenavan, occupied by James and Martin.

http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/loughinisland-parish.php#.WCAvIhR2ug0

Griffiths Valuation for 1863 lists 2 Rea farms in Castlenavan. Plot 13 was a 21 acre farm, occupied by Martin Rea, which today is on the  Old Park Rd, Loughinisland. Nearby was Alexander Rea on plot 25, a 30 acre farm. Today off the Dunnanew Rd.

There were only around 47 properties in the townland and I’d say both are likely to be related to John Rea.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

You can follow through and see changes of occupant on each property, by using the revaluation records, which go up to 1929:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/proni

By 1901, there’s just the one Rea farm in the townland headed by a Martin Rea:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Rossconnor/Castlenavan/1225892/

1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Rossconor/Castlenavan/235156/

Some probate abstracts taken from the PRONI wills site:

Rea Jane of Castlenavan Loughinisland county Down spinster died 8 July 1945 Probate Belfast 12 September to James Rea farmer and George Edward Rea auctioneer. Effects £3796 15s. 9d.

Rea Samuel of Castlenavan Loughinisland Downpatrick county Down farmer died 19 September 1950 Administration Belfast 10 November to James Rea farmer. Effects £2015 17s. 1d.

Rea James of Castlenavan Loughbrickland Downpatrick county Down farmer died 25 February 1954 Probate Belfast 31 March to James Taylor Rea and William McMurray farmers. Effects £15084 9s. 6d.

The above 3 probate files are not on-line but are held in PRONI in paper format. So there were evidently Reas still farming in Castlenavan in the 1950s.

The tithes for 1834 for Drumalig list 2 Shannon farms there: Samuel and John:

http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/saintfield-parish.php#.WCAyVBR2ug0

Griffiths for 1863 lists John Rea on various plots of land in Drumalig. There are no Shannons listed by that year so it looks as though the Rea family acquired all the Shannon farmland.

1901:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Olley/Drumalig/1241728/

1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Ouley/Drumalig/250709/

Probate abstracts:

Rea James of Drumalig county Down farmer died 15 March 1931 at Oughley Saintfield county Down Probate Belfast 21 August to James Robinson and John Stevenson farmers. Effects £2107 15s.

The Will of John Rea late of Drumalig County Down Farmer deceased who died 2 June 1883 at same place was proved at Belfast by James Rea and William M'Keown both of Drumalig Farmers the Executors.

The 1883 will is on-line. The 1931 is still only in paper format at PRONI.
Elwyn

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 November 16 20:00 GMT (UK) »
I can offer one specific reference for a Rea family tree connected to Castlenavin, in the Blackwood Family History manuscript trees Collection in the LinenHall library, Belfast.  Visit if you can give them warning helps, if you cant then I suggest you write to them asking them for photocopying estimates only if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing if you are tempted.  “The Library welcomes all research enquiries, whether made in person, by phone, fax, letter or e-mail. Enquiries from members will be answered free of charge. Visitors from afar, and in particular those engaged in serious research projects, are recommended to make prior contact with the Library to ensure that they receive the best possible service. More complex enquiries should be made by letter, fax, or e-mail. Enquiries of this kind from within the British Isles will normally be answered free of charge, apart from any copying and postage charges. A minimum charge of £2 will normally be made in respect of overseas enquiries. A4 photocopies b&w are 20p.  The Library may be able to assist those with more extensive research requirements on terms subject to negotiation with the Librarian. Contact the Library for further information on info@linenhall.com or Telephone 028 9032 1707. Their address is The Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, see their website for contact details or use Email:info@linenhall.com.
The volume references for
REA      Vol 12p85 Drumskee, 13p25 Vol Castlenavin, Vol13p85 Annacloy, Vol 17N, Vol 20 Oakley, Vol 23 two items, Vol 27T Drumskee, Vol 34, Belfast, Vol 82 Belfast 1798-1857 printed
Hoping this is includes new information for you
good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping someone can help with ideas for searching for Irish Ancestry or with records themselves. I presume that many people are having issues searching as a lot of the Irish census records have been destroyed and I'm finding other Irish records to be less available than English, Welsh, Scottish and New Zealand records.

I'm searching for information on a husband and wife, John Rea and Mary Jane Rea nee Shannon.

What I've found so far, a Belfast Newsletter (dated 17th January 1840) a marriage notice (attached). 15th January 1840 - Mr. John Rea, of Castlenaven (County Down), to Mary Jane, only daughter of Mr. John Shannon, of Drumalig (County Down). -- So I know that date they married and also Mary Jane's Father is named John Shannon.

Also attached, is a screen clipping from the RootsWeb Ros Davies page - John Rea husband of Mary Jane Shannon; father of John MY DIRECT ANCESTOR, who ended up in New Zealand bpt. 6 Aug 1850 & James bpt. 30 Jan 1853 & Elizabeth bpt. 30 May 1858 & Sarah bpt. 20 May 1860 & Agnes bpt. 24 Jun 1862 at Killaney Presbyterian Church.
Killaney (County Down) not to be confused with Killarney. So from this information I have their children's names and baptism dates. I link my ancestor John Rea as John and Mary Jane's son by his second New Zealand marriage and have attached the marriage certificate clipping, please note that the spelling of his surname has changed to Rae on this certificate, on his first marriage certificate it was spelt Rea.

The last attachment I have attached is a possible Will of John Shannon, Mary Jane's Father. It is a strong possibility this is the same John Shannon as it says he was from Drumalig in County Down. Died 4th August 1858 with two Executors, Samuel Shannon (son?) and John Gibson (son-in-law?).

Irish records less available  ???
1901 and 1911 census as well as surviving snippets from other years are online (free).
Civil registration index (covering up to 1921 for N.I. counties) online for years (free)
Scanned certificates available instantly (searching free after purchasing a few credits, small fee to view scanned image)
Recently certificates available to view instantly (free)
Many newspapers available on subscription sites (Belfast Newsletter that you found is an example)
Griffith's Valuation and Valuation Revision Books online (free)
Many directories online (free)
and much more...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi James,  you have had great help so far,  I presume you have exhausted the Ros Davies website. Church Records exist connecting the name Rea  to Killaney Presbyterian Church and to Boardmills Presbyterian Church both in Killaney civil parish.  I noted she had an old Killaney graveyard in Killaney townland near Bow Lough. This graveyard used mainly by Presbyterian families before the opening of Cargacreevy in neighbouring Annahilt civil parish Presbyterian church. [Presbyterians  may well be buried in the parish church of Ireland as well] Ros also notes the first settlers in this area attended 1st Saintfield Presbyterian church.

I needed to locate Drumalig ie the most westerly townland in Saintfield civil parish sitting ontop of Killaney parish Co Down and bordering . its only 12 miles or so north of Castlenavan

I went back to Ros Davies website
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/   
I quickly plowed through all the entries for Rea and Shannon searching them by each of the civil parishes of  Killaney, Loughinisland and Saintfield.  I became aware that both names existed in each place before John Rea’s marriage to Mary Jane Shannon.  if one believes the marriage too place at the brides church in Killaney, it is not clear to me from where did John Rea come from, and therefor I am cautious about assuming he came from Castlenavin, in  Loughinisland although he might have ended living there, to have the children all baptized in Killaney looks as if he lived in Killaney or Drumalig, rather than 12 miles away in  Loughinisland.  So i am suggesting you treat Blackwoods tree that includes Castlenavin with caution.

Ros Davies has a good guide to church records as does PRONI Belfast they differ with Ros giving who gives sometimes extra information eg Tombstone listings as per vols published by the Ulster Historical Foundation or a photo of church and exact address etc.

Good luck onwards.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline jmackenzieNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 November 16 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help and ideas.
There's a lot to read through and I'll definitely be looking at all the links.

:)