Author Topic: Ancestry DNA test - disappointing result  (Read 32552 times)

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA test - disappointing result
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 16:23 GMT (UK) »
I just had a look on the ancestry web site as I saw the DNA kit was on special offer. I thought I might give it a try and then saw they wanted £20 for postage :o I think I will give it a miss. Bad enough being £71 but that is no discount when you add the postage on top.
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Spw ,

Have you checked your settings tab on the ancestry page to see if you've got it ticked to receive weekly updates?

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I notice that with some people if you click on their username and go to profile page it will say if they are a DNA match or not. I have experimented and this is not universal - even with known matches. Why this is not across the board, I do not know???
Would be great to see who else they match to who matches you. I think that would vastly improve it.
I am concerned it is not picking up all matches when you use the search filters.
My mum's first cousin showed no Tasmanian birth location matches, where as Mum and I did. I did try a number of times.  Also tried Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.  Now she does show matches. She should have at least matched to us initially for common ancestors with that birth location.  Now she does.
Bit hit and miss.
Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 00:17 GMT (UK) »
I guess that most of those that have participated in Ancestry's testing are in The United States. Therefore I am not surprised that so few of the matches provide me with the name of an ancestor. My Irish forefathers would have left Ireland either before reasonable record keeping or during the chaos of the famine. So, to start with, it didn't really get me anywhere.

However, both my children and one of my maternal first cousins have also submitted their DNA and suddenly, it all gets a little more focused. Using the "shared matches" function, any person who is a shared match with my cousin and with me and or one or both of my offspring, is definitely a maternal connection. There are eighteen of them and I knew about only five beforehand.

I now plan to entice one of my paternal first cousins to submit a sample and hope for similar results.

There are more nuggets to be unlocked by using the "shared matches" functionality but tempus fugit and the leaves need raking!!

I believe that as more UK people join, life will become more interesting.

BTW it has been fascinating to see the difference in matching between the children. My son seems to have inherited more of my Welsh DNA and my daughter has the Irish blend.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 02:47 GMT (UK) »
I have tested and look at it another way. This is for the long term not the short. The other thing I keep hearing '' oh its mostly Americans who  have tested and I wont match'' . Well I say what about helping our American cousins? If we, as shared English stock , don't test, how are they meant to find out their forebears?

I don't expect to find a long lost sister or a missing grandfather as I have accounted for most. Its the deep deep 200 year+ connections I am searching and these American cousins will help me.

:)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 09:20 GMT (UK) »
I agree with DavidG02 - despite the constant "mostly Americans in the database" comments a look at the FTDNA Forums will show that a lot of the Americans on that database  are finding they have British Isles DNA that they did not realise they had and are looking for connections.

Kim

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 10:21 GMT (UK) »
This Ancestry help article explains the difference between an Ancestry with and without a subscription:

https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/AncestryDNA-with-an-Ancestry-Subscription-US-1460090085520-3160

Your son does have access to his matches. If he clicks on the bit where it says 74 fourth cousins or closer he will be able to see a list of all these cousins and the predicted relationships. There will probably also be several thousand more distant cousins. He can also click on the big green button which says "View DNA matches".
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 16 January 17 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Posted on behalf of SPW who has sent the following message to me in error.

Hi

I'm not sure How can I check to see if I am. I tried to get in my account the other day & I can't. I will tried later

Thank you for the idea. spw
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 12 March 17 23:27 GMT (UK) »

Even better, I believe I might be not far off proving the father of my illegitimate great great grandmother as I've got an ancestral match on her paternal father's line.

I was wondering if a DNA test would do something similar for me.  I have long been very curious if the man who gave his surname to my great grandmother, and married her mother, is the actual biological father.  He had brothers and sisters, some who had children who may have descendants.  Or his father or mother could have siblings who had descendents.  My DNA could match those descendants.