Author Topic: Captain William Jones, Porthmadog  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Captain William Jones, Porthmadog
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 November 16 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Emyr

I have found a bit more about Thomas and Mary Jones. Here is their marriage record courtesy of Yffôr.com. record 328 Denio Marriages 1837-1871.

Married 10/07/1858 Thomas was a Mariner from Merioneth father John Richards also a Mariner.
Mary's surname Williams living at Penrhydlyniog father Thomas Williams a Carpenter.

Glyn 
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 November 16 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Emyr good news I believe I have found the baptism record for your Morris Jones:
Llanfighandel y Traethau
Morris of John Roberts shoemaker and Catherine his wife baptized 18 July 1809.

Glyn

IGNORE ON CHECKING MASTER MARINER CERTIFICATE NOT THE RIGHT MORRIS.
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 November 16 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have been back to the cemetery to check the inscription in good daylight. Some parts difficult to read. Going to bed now, have to get up very early tomorrow and will be away all day. Will get back to you on Monday.
Emyr

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 November 16 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Emyr

Ignore the above baptism record it is not your Morris Jones. On checking Morris' Master Certificate I noted his date of birth was 15th December 1809 five months after the baptism!
However, I checked for Morris's and Margaret's marriage record and found it by pure luck since rubbish Find my Past have filed some of the Ynyscynhaiarn Parish records under Tudweiliog. Grrr!!!!

On 11 September 1837
Morris Jones aged 27 Bachelor Mariner resident Portmadoc father Henry Jones Labourer
Margaret Roberts aged 20 Spinster resident Portmadoc father Thomas Roberts Mariner

I am not sure how much info you have on Morris but here is the transcript of his gravestone:

Capel Salem MI 036
Er Serchus Gof Am Capt MORRIS JONES, 47 High St, Portmadoc, a fu farw Ebrill 12, 1879, yn 70 mlwydd oed. Hefyd MARGARET, ei anwyl briod a fu farw Tachwedd 26, 1877, yn 80 mlwydd oed. Hefyd JOHN, ei baban, a fu farw Ion 8, 1853, yn 2 fis oed. Hefyd MORRIS ROBERTS, 47 High St, a gollodd ei fywyd trwy longddrylliad y “Cath Griffiths” ar grigiau Veleccen, Scilly, Tachwedd 1875, yn 15 ml oed. Hefyd ei mab, Capt Robert Jones, a fu farw Tachwedd 12fed, 1901, yn 58 mlwydd oed. A,I merch Ellen Evans 40 Madoc St, ganwyd Mawrth 11, 1846, bu farw Gorphenaf 25ain, 1913. “Na wylwch o’m plegid”. Er Cof Am EDWARD JONES, ei mab, Ysgrifenydd y Steam Tug Company, bu farw Mawrth, 1886, yn 38 mlwydd oed. “Gostyngodd Efe fy nerth ar y ffordd, byrhaodd fy nyddiau”
            (Pinnacl marmor coch)
Note: should Margaret's age be 60 not 80 as in the transcript. You might want to check at the cemetery.
I hope the info helps.

Glyn

Robb - London/Scotland

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The date of death of Elizabeth Jones 29th HYDREF (October) 1934, aged 61yrs. According to Free BMD the only Elizabeth Jones that’s died in Q1 1934 in Ffestiniog RD, is an Elizabeth J Jones aged 59. Q3 there’s an Elizabeth E Jones, aged 61.
Capt Thomas Jones , 33 Snowdon St.,died  April 23d(?) 1906.
Have lately taken an interest in Porthmadog ships. My late brother, Eifion, was curator of the Porthmadog Maritime Museum for about 24yrs.
I have been carrying out research for descendents of Morris Jones, but hadn’t got round to finding his parents. I had info on his marriage from the Parish Register  but couldn’t find where I’d noted name of his father. I did have a look on Find my Past the other day for the info;  but didn’t have a look at the Tudweiliog records!  Margaret’s death age was 60,   c. 1816 – 1867. The name of the rocks that the Cath Griffiths went down on is also mistranscribed.
 Re. p. 36  Porthmadog Ships:  I think that like me first time, you’ve misread the info. It mentions Capt Hugh Parry having 3 MM sons, but it doesn’t name them. The names that follow are not his sons. I think the Morris Jones is the one I’m interested in, and that John Jones is a brother to Morris’ son in law. At date of registration, Morris owned 16/64 of the Catherine & Margaret, and in 1894 Mrs A Evans PM, who I assume was his daughter and wife of Capt William Evans, is listed as owner.

The Salem inscription mentions the death of Morris Roberts, age 15, who lost his life when the Cath Griffiths went down. The Capt was Henry Jones, Morris’ son, and his son Robert aged 15 was also lost. So Morris lost a son and 2 grandsons in that tragedy. 9 of the crew of 10 were lost. The Capt and son are included on the inscription on the family gravestone at Moelygest No. 449. There is a mistranscription here also, the father shown as Robert instead of Henry. This error has resulted in Henry’s details being down twice in the Mariner’s database, under his correct and mistranscribed name. 

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3307668/3307672/15/scilly

Emyr

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emyr
Thank you for checking the gravestone the date of Elizabeth's death makes more sense now. Just proves that not all transcriptions can be trusted.
With regard to Findmypast I found a few years ago that they had messed up some of the Welsh parish records some of those for Clynnog were filed under Capel Curig. Reread p.36 and you are correct.
Morris also owned the "Illyria" with 16/64th of the shares. From his Application for a Master's Ticket he was master of her from July 1849 to March 1850 when he left sick. If you have not got the Application private message me with your e-mail address and I will forward it to you. It contains his career from 1827 to 1850.

Glyn

Robb - London/Scotland

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 November 16 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have access to the Masters Certificates on Ancestry, but I'll send you my e-mail and telephone number.
Emyr