Author Topic: William John Heaney - Shoemaker  (Read 1775 times)

Offline kareneadie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William John Heaney - Shoemaker
« on: Monday 07 November 16 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me find more info on my 3x great grandfathers Irish roots. His name was William John Heaney born about 1854 in Ireland to John Heaney and Elizabeth Haggarty. According to William's marriage and death certificate both he and his father were shoemakers.

William married Mary Hill (maiden name Cadden) 12th April 1886 in Greenock. I have them on the 1891 and 1901 census in greenock before William's death on 31 March 1933. I have found lots of information on Williams life in Scotland but cant seem to find him or his parents in Ireland! Thanks in advance
Eadie/Addis/Addes (Lanarkshire) Stevenson/Steenson (Armagh) McElveny/McIlvany (Antrim) Shennan/Shannon (Ireland) Brotherston (Lanarkshire) Heaney (Ireland) Cadden (Ayrshire) Ewart (Ayrshire/Ireland) McCulloch (Ayrshire) Service (Ayrshire) Wilson (Lanarkshire) Miller (Lanarkshire) Williamson (Ireland) Dow (Stirlingshire) Docherty (Ireland) McCord (Ireland) Gorman (Antrim) Aitken (Lanarkshire) Marshall (Cumbernauld/Kilsyth)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William John Heaney - Shoemaker
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Many Irish Catholic Parish Registers are now online (free) but you need a location to start browsing as they are not indexed there-
http://www.nli.ie/en/parish-register.aspx

Have you checked to see if William's parents or siblings also moved to Greenock? (not uncommon to find relatives in the same area)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kareneadie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I've tried searching on rootsireland for Williams birth or his parents marriage but cant see anything for them. Dont know how else to find out which part of Ireland he was from.  His marriage certificate has Robert Heaney as a witness, possibly his brother?

Will keep searching!
Eadie/Addis/Addes (Lanarkshire) Stevenson/Steenson (Armagh) McElveny/McIlvany (Antrim) Shennan/Shannon (Ireland) Brotherston (Lanarkshire) Heaney (Ireland) Cadden (Ayrshire) Ewart (Ayrshire/Ireland) McCulloch (Ayrshire) Service (Ayrshire) Wilson (Lanarkshire) Miller (Lanarkshire) Williamson (Ireland) Dow (Stirlingshire) Docherty (Ireland) McCord (Ireland) Gorman (Antrim) Aitken (Lanarkshire) Marshall (Cumbernauld/Kilsyth)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I did ask if you'd checked for relatives in Greenock  ;)

Have a search for Robert Heaney in census records, etc. (a marriage would give parents' names)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tinwald1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 December 16 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen, William John Heaney is my GG Grandfather. I am decended down from his son Robert. I have not been able to find out where in Ireland the family came from either. Which of William's children are you decended from ?

Offline Mary G.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 February 18 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my great grandmother was Elizabeth Brymner, a domestic servant who shows up working at the home of William John Heaney in 1901 at 6 Ardgowan Street West. Have you ever had your DNA done? I ask because Liz had a baby in November of 1901 at the Greenock Poor House, and named him William. I just found out about him this week via Ancestry DNA - his granddaughter and I found we were linked as cousins and had to figure out the connection, which surprised us. She subsequently married in 1906 and emigrated to Canada. Contact me at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.