Author Topic: Giles of Chalvey disappeared  (Read 1581 times)

Offline soosfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Giles of Chalvey disappeared
« on: Monday 07 November 16 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Edward Albert Giles born 19 December 1872 in Chalvey, Slough. Mother Charlotte Deverell born 1846. Charlotte was married to Alfred Giles but she had Edward by another man.
Edward (or Albert) was in the Army then the Police in Hampstead but didn't turn up for work in July 1898 and disappeared from all records. 

Charlotte had a previous child when she had been married to Alfred Giles for 2 years. This boy - Henry Charles was also illegitimate.  Can anybody help please?

Thanks, Sue
Massey, Wheldon, Briggs, Earle, Thornhill, Holland, Adams, Giles, Wheals, Sperring.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Giles of Chalvey disappeared
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 November 16 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Alfred Giles and Charlotte Deverill married in 1865 and Edward's birth was registered as Giles.

How do you know that Alfred wasn't his father?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 November 16 23:56 GMT (UK) »
1871 Charlotte is shown as married but living with her father.  A 3yr old Henry Giles was with her

In 1881 - Henry Giles 13 and Albert Giles 8 are shown as the stepsons of Richard Goodchild whose wife is Charlotte but no Goodchild/Giles marriage on freebmd before or after 1881

Have you looked for Edward Albert under Goodchild or Deverill?

If he discovered he was illegitimate and found out the name of his real father - he may have adopted that surname
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 10:42 GMT (UK) »
He is using the name Albert Giles and place of birth as Windsor when serving as a soldier in the RA - Isle of Grain 1891 census. RG12/655 f26 p19
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 10:45 GMT (UK) »
He appears to have left the Army in April 1889, what evidence do you have of his police service

Offline soosfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,
Edward Albert's birth certificate shows no father or father's occupation, likewise his baptism record, 8 months later in Colnbrook, (he was born in Chalvey) shows only Charlotte's name and blank in the occupation column.
Edward's older brother, born 1867 -2 years after Alfred & Charlotte's marriage, also shows on his certificate no father or occupation and his baptism record in Burnham is the same, with 'illegitimate' written in the surname column under 'Giles'.
Charlotte lived with Richard Goodchild but they never married as she was still married to Alfred. Alfred lived the rest of his life in Berkshire with Caroline Gibbs & had 2 children - Albert Henry in 1878 and Gertrude Alice in 1889.
Maybe Albert (or Edward) did find out his real father but how on earth can I discover that? I have searched all the names I can think of and my uncle (his grandson) has done a Ydna test but no matches anywhere that I can find. I really wish someone would prove me wrong and come up with something!
Thanks so much for your reply, I didn't expect any help.
Sue
Massey, Wheldon, Briggs, Earle, Thornhill, Holland, Adams, Giles, Wheals, Sperring.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 12:27 GMT (UK) »
If your uncle is Albert/Edwards grandson do you must have some idea of location when your uncles father/mother was born  :-\

Offline soosfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie
Thanks for your very quick reply.
Re Albert's Army life, I think he couldn't wait to get away from his stepfather (Richard Goodchild) and was refused on his first attempt at joining the Berkshire Regiment for an 'under chest measurement', he lied about his age he said he was 18 yrs 6 months but was really 16 yrs 2 months. He was admitted the next day into the Middlesex regiment and served 7 years then went into the Reserves in Hampstead. He had a month or two working for Charlotte's uncle, John Deverill, a successful builder in Slough, before he joined the Police, Hampstead Division. I have his Police record which says in 1898 he was absent from duty so was dismissed on 15th July 1898 just before his 2 years probationary period was up. That's the last I can find.

I have a letter in the December issue of Family Tree pleading for help! I'm not giving up yet!
Thanks again for your help, Rosie.

Sue
PS Just had you latest post. Yes Albert married Sophia Goodchild in Rochford, Essex where he was stationed in the Army, they had 5 children - 2 died. and after Albert left Sophia in Hampstead, she went back to Essex to her family. My grandfather Edward Albert Lancelot Giles was born in Essex in 1894.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Have you ruled out this death?

Death
Apr/May/Jun 1899
Woodstock
3a 511
Albert Edward Giles
age 28