Author Topic: Patrick & Catherine McVeigh  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Thalliwell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Patrick & Catherine McVeigh
« on: Tuesday 08 November 16 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Trying to go 1 step further back with my irish ancestry.
My 3xGreat grandfather was called Bernard McVeigh and Married a Jane McNally (McAnally?) in 1878 in Magherafelt.

His Father is listed as Patrick.
On my My 2xGreat Grandfather's sister birth record Sarah McVeigh (born 1884), it lists a Catherine McVeigh as a grand mother.

So I am trying to find Bernard's Birth record and if possible Patrick & Catherine's Marriage.
I think Bernard may have been born about 1845-50?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I am having trouble, due to date restrictions on https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Halliwell, Latham, Davenport, McVeigh, McNally
Wigan, Crewe, Dungannon

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick & Catherine McVeigh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 08:39 GMT (UK) »
I am having trouble, due to date restrictions on https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

What date restrictions?

Civil Records in Ireland didn't start until 1864, with non-Catholic marriages from 1845.
So you need to rely on Parish records.

What was their religious denomination?
In which parish, or townland, was he born?

Catholic registers are available on registers.nli.ie - but there are no indexes :-\
You have to locate the parish, and browse the register page-by-page.

Many non-catholic, and some catholic, registers are available on irishgenealogy Church Records.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 09:07 GMT (UK) »
At the time of his marriage in 1878, Bernard McVeigh was living in the townland of Belagherty in the civil parish of Ballinderry (BTW, just to note that this general area is relatively close to the Londonderry - Tyrone county border).

A possibility, a few years later than your estimate but on the money location-wise, is this baptism from the Arboe RC parish registers, on 7 May 1854, 'Bernard of Patk. McVeigh & Catherine Madden  Sp(onsors) Pat Rocks & Ellen Devlin' (top of right page):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632463#page/121/mode/1up

From the Ballinderry RC parish registers, a son Henry was baptised on 10 December 1851 for parents Patrick McVey and Catherine Madden (near bottom of right page):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632478#page/80/mode/1up

From the Arboe RC parish registers, a daughter Mary was baptised on 18 August 1856 for parents Patrick McVeigh and Catherine Madden (4th entry down on right page):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632463#page/129/mode/1up

And from the Ballinderry RC parish registers, what looks like the marriage on 26 February 1851 of Patrick McVey and Cath. Madden, witnessed by Joseph Madden and Alexander McCrory (4th entry down on right page):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632478#page/173/mode/1up

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Many non-catholic, and some catholic, registers are available on irishgenealogy Church Records.

Before recommending resources perhaps you might in the future check that they will actually help before posting- the church records on Irish Genealogy Do NOT cover Londonderry.
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/church-records/about/what-church-records-are-available-online
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Before shooting down in flames people who are trying to be helpful, perhaps you should read what is actually written?

I neither confirmed or denied that Londonderry records were available.
I simply made a factual statement that many non-catholic records were available, and some catholic records, on that website.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Before shooting down in flames people who are trying to be helpful, perhaps you should read what is actually written?

I neither confirmed or denied that Londonderry records were available.
I simply made a factual statement that many non-catholic records were available, and some catholic records, on that website.

... but your reply really wasn't helpful in this case  :-\

We can't assume that the poster will check to see what records are covered before, or even after, they've not found any results when searching for particular people.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Thalliwell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the trouble some people took to help with my research. :D
Especially a big thank you to Gaffy!

After the Marriage of Bernard and Jane they moved into Tyronne; Cookstown and Dungannon.
My Mother was born in Dungannon.

I believe that they were Roman Catholic.

Area/Parish wise, not sure really, only what was on Bernard's Marriage information.
No way of really knowing until presented with proof.
Originally I thought his mother was called Sarah, but after reading the additional information on birth records I noticed the word Catherine McVeigh - Grandmother on Bernard's Daughters Saras' birth records.

Also, how do you find a parish to start looking at their records?

I did find that site but found it frustrating that I couldn't search by name and had to input a parish name, of which I wasn't certain nor knew of.

How do you read this information....it looks very faint.
I did sort of make out that it looked like Katherine and not Catherine.

On another birth/marriage record there was mention of a Kitty McVeigh (Katherine?).

Also, How do you know where Bernard was living at his time of marriage?

I have been doing English Genealogy for decades, but only started to get serious with my Irish side a little while ago, so sorry if asking too much..
Halliwell, Latham, Davenport, McVeigh, McNally
Wigan, Crewe, Dungannon